• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to issue work permits to undocumented workers?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
This should go well.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-29/obama-said-to-plan-giving-millions-u-s-work-permits.html

"President Barack Obama is considering using executive action to let millions of undocumented immigrants obtain work permits that would allow them stay in the U.S. legally, said a Democratic Senate aide.

White House officials have told allies in Congress to expect an announcement of a large-scale action most likely in September, just before the midterm congressional elections, the aide said, asking for anonymity to discuss an unannounced plan.

Obama has said he’ll act in the absence of legislation from Congress on the 12 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S. In the House, Republican leaders have declined to bring a bill to a vote.

Administration officials in private conversations in recent weeks have been signaling a shift within the White House toward more expansive action to provide relief from deportation, according to immigration advocates."

This could be really make the GOP crazy. If he's going to do it, he should do it soon. I hear the impeachment gavel banging.

Last edited:
Bad move. It only fans the flames of the current immigration fiasco of his making. Moreover, I'm eager to see how he legally justifies it. He was on pretty thin ice with the last one.

this could really screw up the Dems' chances in turning Texas blue

How is the current immigration fiasco Obama's fault?

For starters, he put up this sign outside of Monterrey.
South_of_the_Border_sign_76_-_Kids_Rule.JPG

Followed it up with this one.

pedropic1-300x112.png

Last edited:

When you talk amnesty for 6 years, it gets people flowing across the border. Bush, to his detriment, did some of the same, but there wasn't really that serious a push. If it was DOA, you knew it and it was on to Iraq and Afghanistan. This President is of the right political persuasion to pull it off, plus he pulled a unilateral pseudo amnesty trick out of his hat already, which only added to the flow.

He has also blown off removal proceedings for thousands of illegals under the guise of "prosecutorial discretion." These were cases where the paperwork was done and in many cases the final court date was at the time, but government attorneys were instructed to drop the cases because the people weren't dangerous criminals. Complete waste of time and word of that gets around in immigration circles.

Come to the US and you won't get deported if you stay out of trouble. Or come to the US and you will get amnesty. It's a win-win, and it's the fault of this President almost exclusively. This latest idea about expanding his legally dubious pseudo amnesty decree from 2 years ago is irresponsible to say the least. It makes the current border crisis worse. It is so incompetent that one can only be cynical about his motivations.

I heard someone designed an app to alert prospective illegals of border patrol movement and fence breaches via smartphone.

When you use a work permit does that mean the employer takes taxes out of your check?

Your employment authorization allows you to get a SSN. One would assume that responsible employers require both, but I don't know the SSN side of things.

So this change would mean that undocumented workers who were previously essentially under the table could be taxed on the income they are making?

Yes and their will be a flood of new undocumented workers in the hopes of the same arrangement down the road. I'm ok with that, I want more open immigration. I'd just like to do it through Congress.

Why should I care if it is through congress or what? Let em work and if they pay taxes I don't care if they whistle Dixie out their bungholes

So this change would mean that undocumented workers who were previously essentially under the table could be taxed on the income they are making?

Some are already because they have false identities, but yes, this would mean more do. Plenty will remain in cash only jobs though since that is their skillset and their employers benefit from paying them (less money than they would otherwise) under the table.

Given that the overwhelming number of these guys will be performing unskilled labor, their taxable income is not likely to be high and thus their taxes would be minimal. It's even pretty likely that several would be seeing refunds from the IRS.

But they'd be paying into Medicare and SS right, and at the same time providing cheap labor to Americans who obviously want them for said labor, right?

Some are already because they have false identities, but yes, this would mean more do. Plenty will remain in cash only jobs though since that is their skillset and their employers benefit from paying them (less money than they would otherwise) under the table.

Given that the overwhelming number of these guys will be performing unskilled labor, their taxable income is not likely to be high and thus their taxes would be minimal. It's even pretty likely that several would be seeing refunds from the IRS.

Report some earnings, don't report a lot of non-traceable cash earnings, get a big EITC cherry on top.

Back