• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to speak @ 1pm EDT

Sgt Hulka

Board Big Toe
Reaction score
What will he say?? Let's have your predictions:

I predict he will:

1) Try and re assure everyone that the US is still credit worthy. (We are not in danger of meeting our obligations-a reversal of his "I can not guarantee that SS checks and military will get paid" comments).

2) Say how he is working to fix the problem

3) Start blaming Tea Party

4) Go after S&P

If the TP didn't exist our credit would not have been downgraded.

Probably just for reassurance (assuming it's not something GWOT related). Of course, the President calling a spontaneous press conference to reassure the markets will probably just confirm their worst fears, regardless of whether or not they are true.

Wrong. AA+ is being very generous with the debt we have on the books and the mounting entitlement liabilities that top $100 Trillion. This downgrade, as well as future downgrades, has been building for decades.

If you look objectively at the raw numbers, we were headed for a downgrade eventually. All the Tea Party did was accelerate the process rapidly.

Our debt issues becoming part of the public conversation on government will ultimately benefit this country greatly.

If you look objectively at the raw numbers, we were headed for a downgrade eventually. All the Tea Party did was accelerate the process rapidly.

Our debt issues becoming part of the public conversation on government will ultimately benefit this country greatly.

Hopefully, it creates a sense of urgency in Washington but I doubt it.

the tea party understands zilch about economic growth.

austerity has never lead to growth.

we need growth to effectively overcome deficit/debt issues

they held us hostage with their dunderheaded approach to economics, and we were downgraded.

I completely blame them. Had they given an inch and taken their mile that was offered, a better bill would have been passed and no downgrade.

drawing lines int he sand at the eleventh hour is not good governance. this is not a movie or a radio-talk show cockfight, its a complex economy.

Like I said last week, the sky is falling and they threw rocks.

Agree with TR that this isn't going to calm fears. Sounds like a Wellman post-game press conference to me.

We have too many small-minded people in Congress. This is one of the worst-equipped legislatures ever assembled to deal with a serious fiscal issue requiring thoughtful, ego-less, coordinated solutions.

At times I almost think that the Roberts Court must have anticipated how terrible Congress would become, and quickly made horrific campaign finance decision like CU, fiscally insulating the two parties at the exact time that rising public sentiment has come to the conclusion that neither of our current parties is worth a damn and can't work with the other side govern like adults.

Have we ever had less useful or less qualified congressional leadership?

Bake is correct. We do need growth. But there is nothing wrong with austerity at the same time. It was predictable that the Tea Party congressmen and congresswomen would be the fall guys. If you recall, it was members of the Tea Party who pushed Cut, Cap & Balance, which, wait for it..., was the only proposal on the table the Moody's and S&P said offered the United States a chance in hell of maintaining our credit rating.

The floor is yours boys. Knock yourselves out.

CCB was the most laughably useless bill ever written. You're praising a functionally impossible scrap of political grandstanding -- that would have annihilated economic growth -- as a good idea? The Tea Party is the fall guy because a major deal that was workable existed, they spiked it, and in it's place they got a largely toothless deal that did less for their stated cause. But that's what happens when you have people in over their head and you late the first graders drive the school bus during a storm.

Without the TP, the $4T deal Obama and Boehner had negotiated would be a reality and this problem would not exist.

the tea party understands zilch about economic growth.

austerity has never lead to growth.

we need growth to effectively overcome deficit/debt issues

they held us hostage with their dunderheaded approach to economics, and we were downgraded.

I completely blame them. Had they given an inch and taken their mile that was offered, a better bill would have been passed and no downgrade.

drawing lines int he sand at the eleventh hour is not good governance. this is not a movie or a radio-talk show cockfight, its a complex economy.

That is not necessarily true in the long run. Austerity doesn't directly create growth, but it can help to stop long term growth loss.

That's not to say that I am in favor of the bill, because I'm not. If you are going to make cuts, it has to be to entitlements, because cutting those programs will not adversely affect economic growth like cutting discretionary spending will. Of course, that's a pretty heartless thing to do in times like these.

On the other hand, tax cuts of any kind, but especially on corporations or the middle class, absolutely cannot be ended in times like these. Our fiscal policy, like you said, needs to be pro-growth, not anti-spending. I do not adhere to Keynesian economics by any stretch of the imagination, but no levelheaded economist would try to argue that massive spending cuts or tax hikes wouldn't hurt economic growth, because they will.

A familiar case study to me is the economy of Virginia, which has done surprisingly well over the past few years due to the pragmatic approach of Bob McDonnell. He didn't raise any taxes, and cut spending in areas that wouldn't hurt job creation. As a result, the state unemployment rate is around 6%. Not fantastic, but much better than the national average. He took office promising to get people back to work in a responsible, fiscally conservative way, and it worked. That's the kind of approach we need to take on the national level.

Massive fiscal stimulus programs aren't going to help the economy's long term prospects. (No, making the stimulus bigger wouldn't have helped either, it only would have further delayed the eventual regression to higher rates of unemployment). Both parties are at fault here, because they are both have fixated on solutions that won't work. The Tea Party thinks that massive spending cuts will create short term growth, which goes against just about every economic principle out there. The Democrats think that massive stimulus will help us climb out of the recession, but it will only artificially deflate unemployment for a short time.

In reality, there is no silver bullet. Congress has to realize that they aren't going to be able to fix the economy. It's just not going to happen. The only thing they can do is make conditions as good as possible for long term economic growth.

Without the TP, the $4T deal Obama and Boehner had negotiated would be a reality and this problem would not exist.

Without the tea party manufacturing the crisis, we would have had a normal raising of the debt ceiling and the problem would have gone ignored for a few more years.

he's going to say "screw you george w bush, if it wasn't for you we'd all be millionaires"

and he will be 100% accurate. it's science

I'm tempted to think this as well. But I don't know enough about that deal. Sure do suspect it was a better one than what we got.

Without the tea party manufacturing the crisis, we would have had a normal raising of the debt ceiling and the problem would have gone ignored for a few more years.

And we wouldn't have a lowered credit rating.

And without Obama's idiotic and useless spending, he would not have had to try to negotiate said deal and put our credit rating at risk at this worst possible time. He created his own problem and then complains that other people won't help him fix it.

And without Obama's idiotic and useless spending, he would not have had to try to negotiate said deal and put our credit rating at risk at this worst possible time. He created his own problem and then complains that other people won't help him fix it.

Obama has only spent marginally more than W did.

Back