• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to speak @ 1pm EDT

Do people really think the Tea Party is the only group that thinks the debt is a problem?

Do people really think the Tea Party is the only group that thinks the debt is a problem?

Exactly. I seems to me that Obama and Boehner were working out a better deal to address our debt problems. What we got, seemingly due to the TPers, seems worse. But we got no tax increases. Whew. Thanks for that. :rollseyes.

And without Obama's idiotic and useless spending, he would not have had to try to negotiate said deal and put our credit rating at risk at this worst possible time. He created his own problem and then complains that other people won't help him fix it.

You think the current debt is an Obama problem, as opposed to a "residual effect of poor economic management over the last decade" problem?

It is absolutely ridiculous to blame the tea party for this. 70+ years of entitlement spending are responsible for the downgrade, and not 18 months of tea partiers calling for fiscal sanity.

Dems never cease to amaze me with the blame game.

Good grief, can you at least make an attempt to be remotely on time for the press conference you called?

And why isn't Tim Geithner not getting a lot more heat over this?

It is absolutely ridiculous to blame the tea party for this. 70+ years of entitlement spending are responsible for the downgrade, and not 18 months of tea partiers calling for fiscal sanity.

Dems never cease to amaze me with the blame game.

Oh, I don't blame the TP for our debt problems. But their absolutist position on taxes seems like bad policy to me, and one that (in part, at least) wrought a less desirable debt-reduction bill of late.

The TP spiked the best debt deal. Their idea of "fiscal sanity" was to basically push the economy off a cliff and hamstring the effectiveness of the US as a superpower (see Cut, Cap, and Balance). After that bill, it's hard to take them seriously. They're basically a group of unqualified spoon-bangers who will no doubt be replaced by more capable people in the next 4-6 years.

Everyone owns this problem, but we're particularly unlucky to have the TP around at the exact time we need qualified adults to guide congressional policy.

Blaming the tea party for this is like a 400 lb fat man blaming his last double cheeseburger for his heart finally quitting on him.

And without Obama's idiotic and useless spending, he would not have had to try to negotiate said deal and put our credit rating at risk at this worst possible time. He created his own problem and then complains that other people won't help him fix it.

accidentaly neg repped you. Meant to be positive.

The TP spiked the best debt deal. Their idea of "fiscal sanity" was to basically push the economy off a cliff and hamstring the effectiveness of the US as a superpower (see Cut, Cap, and Balance). After that bill, it's hard to take them seriously. They're basically a group of unqualified spoon-bangers who will no doubt be replaced by more capable people in the next 4-6 years.

Everyone owns this problem, but we're particularly unlucky to have the TP around at the exact time we need qualified adults to guide congressional policy.

That pretty much sums it up.

Blaming the tea party for this is like a 400 lb fat man blaming his last double cheeseburger for his heart finally quitting on him.

Blaming any person or party for our debt/monetary dilemma is silly. Blaming the TP for some role in our governmental paralysis and the recent suboptimal debt-reduction bill is reasonable.

You think the current debt is an Obama problem, as opposed to a "residual effect of poor economic management over the last decade" problem?

It is certainly a residual effect. But Obama has clearly made it significantly worse and accelerated the collapse. And I'm not sure how you can criticize the Tea Party's inexperience as adding to this debacle while ignoring how Obama's inexperience and incompetence has served to cause much more damage.

I thought this was supposed to be on at 1pm... I pulled up CNN and it said 1:30... now it still says "starting soon".

Shouldn't he let this play out for a day and give the speech tonight?

Back