• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to speak @ 1pm EDT

Whether the money is repatriated or not, it's hard to make a case that's going to lead to job growth. If they were desperate for domestic funds to hire American workers, they'd just bit the bullet.

If we don't provide incentives for repatriation, they will keep the money overseas and we won't get tax dollar one.

That'll show them!!!!!

We did this in during the past decade and there was a net job loss among the countries allowed to repatriate the money.

IF we do as Villaragosa says, bring the money back in for free and put it into bonds to rebuild infrastructure I would be for it.

IF there were severe penalties for not creating jobs immediately, I'd be for it.

just letting tem bring the money back with not strings would do nothing for our economy and simply enrich a few people.

In other words, you'd encourage private investment in certain areas via incentives.

sure. I never opposed incentives as a whole, just incentives to corporations with plenty of cash on their books to try and get them to hire a few workers.

I am all for incentives for certain sectors that are strapped for cash, but have demonstrated they produce a valuable return on that investment in the form of innovation and progress that benefits the economy as a whole.

Last edited:
Like Bake said, incentivize companies and secitrs that need it. Oil companies have no need.

Deacman, are you endorsing government intervention in the private sector to grow the economy and create jobs?

Deacman, are you endorsing government intervention in the private sector to grow the economy and create jobs?

By having government incentives, he clearly is. but only for industries he likes.

Guess that depends on what you mean by "intervention". That can take a lot of different meanings and depends on what perspective you start from when setting the definition.

But, yep, I'm open to all sorts of ideas if it means we are going to encourage private money to be deployed.

this thread has turned into a better and more complex way of asking what i was trying to ask on page 2, and no one addressed. again, i know next to nothing about finance and running a for-profit business, so i apologize that i have to have your brilliant minds dumb it down for me.

- companies are recording record profits, and aren't hiring anyone. in order to hire people, one would think they would have to expand their consumer base, whether that be individual consumers or investments that would expand their operations.

- apparently, any expanHOLD ON GOTTA KILL THIS BUG

- apparently, any expansion these companies have seen has not required more employees, which suggests that there is an insufficient diversity of demand and/or not enough demand, period.

- another point - i appreciate your illustrative examples, deacman, but what if that ethanol plant and that condo building weren't a good idea in the first place? you say "someone wants to build a plant/condo, but unemployment is high, and i have no idea who is going to buy that fuel or rent those condos.

- so what i'm saying is, shouldn't we be worrying more about providing incentives to consumers, so they can buy things, instead of companies who won't have a demand base that allows them to hire more employees? won't that be mutually beneficial and graduate more people into higher tax brackets, thus increasing government income and allowing the government to provide more incentives to consumers?

or, dare i say, are we operating our economy in an outdated fashion that awards making more and more goods, services, and investments that are increasingly unnecessary? we talk about cutting government waste - what about cutting corporate waste so that they have more money for hiring and profits?

and in case you were wondering, i beat the ever-loving shit out of that earwig with a paperback.

We did this in during the past decade and there was a net job loss among the countries allowed to repatriate the money.
IF we do as Villaragosa says, bring the money back in for free and put it into bonds to rebuild infrastructure I would be for it.

IF there were severe penalties for not creating jobs immediately, I'd be for it.

just letting tem bring the money back with not strings would do nothing for our economy and simply enrich a few people.

where did you see this study? the only things i've read indicate at best signficant capex and hiring and at worst a nearly 1:1 ratio of repatriated funds and increase of dividends to shareholders, neither of which would cost jobs. just curious how the job loss was measured and how "blame" was assigned to the repatriation vs. general economic trends.

this thread has turned into a better and more complex way of asking what i was trying to ask on page 2, and no one addressed. again, i know next to nothing about finance and running a for-profit business, so i apologize that i have to have your brilliant minds dumb it down for me.

- companies are recording record profits, and aren't hiring anyone. in order to hire people, one would think they would have to expand their consumer base, whether that be individual consumers or investments that would expand their operations.

- apparently, any expanHOLD ON GOTTA KILL THIS BUG

- apparently, any expansion these companies have seen has not required more employees, which suggests that there is an insufficient diversity of demand and/or not enough demand, period.

- another point - i appreciate your illustrative examples, deacman, but what if that ethanol plant and that condo building weren't a good idea in the first place? you say "someone wants to build a plant/condo, but unemployment is high, and i have no idea who is going to buy that fuel or rent those condos.

- so what i'm saying is, shouldn't we be worrying more about providing incentives to consumers, so they can buy things, instead of companies who won't have a demand base that allows them to hire more employees? won't that be mutually beneficial and graduate more people into higher tax brackets, thus increasing government income and allowing the government to provide more incentives to consumers?

I'm intrigued by this idea.

or, dare i say, are we operating our economy in an outdated fashion that awards making more and more goods, services, and investments that are increasingly unnecessary? we talk about cutting government waste - what about cutting corporate waste so that they have more money for hiring and profits?
I think they've done that already and focused more on the profits not the hiring.

In that case, why don't you just answer ONW's straight-forward question, instead of continuing to parry & dance around it?

Probably because he didn't answer a straight forward question.

I am impressed with one thing that happened today. We have regulations to promote full economy in trucks. That is a good thing.

Is that "intervention"?

where did you see this study? the only things i've read indicate at best signficant capex and hiring and at worst a nearly 1:1 ratio of repatriated funds and increase of dividends to shareholders, neither of which would cost jobs. just curious how the job loss was measured and how "blame" was assigned to the repatriation vs. general economic trends.

They showed it on MTP and on CNN. And it wasn't anything like 1:1 for dividends. Huge amounts went to bonueses.

it clearly isn't the most efficient way to grow jobs given the amount used on dividends or stock buybacks, but looking at it simplistically, doesn't it at least bring money back to our economy that otherwise would be sitting in on the balance sheet of an international sub?

eta: are you implying that the repatriation is correlated with the job loss or just that the corporations didn't do what was expected/promised with the money (i.e. create new jobs)?

Last edited:
Guess that depends on what you mean by "intervention". That can take a lot of different meanings and depends on what perspective you start from when setting the definition.

But, yep, I'm open to all sorts of ideas if it means we are going to encourage private money to be deployed.

Show me the question I didn't respond to in that posting.

Even if there was one, I'd have to give you a straight-answer first in order to receive yours? That's rich.

it clearly isn't the most efficient way to grow jobs given the amount used on dividends or stock buybacks, but looking at it simplistically, doesn't it at least bring money back to our economy that otherwise would be sitting in on the balance sheet of an international sub?

but it didn't do anything

eta: are you implying that the repatriation is correlated with the job loss or just that the corporations didn't do what was expected/promised with the money (i.e. create new jobs)?

What I'm saying is repatriation of money without any strings will not create jobs. There's no reason for it to happen.

What are you talking about? I think you are up in arms at something someone else was posting towards me, not you.

I'm not up in arms. You're just sullying my good name.:thumbsup:

Back