• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Vetting Nevada Gov. Sandoval (R) for SCOTUS

Does someone with an undergrad from Nevada - Reno and JD from Ohio State, with 2 years as state AG and 4 years on the bench really deserve a slot on the SC? I get the Republican aspect, but he seems very under-qualified if not for what is going on in the Senate.

Does someone with an undergrad from Nevada - Reno and JD from Ohio State, with 2 years as state AG and 4 years on the bench really deserve a slot on the SC? I get the Republican aspect, but he seems very under-qualified if not for what is going on in the Senate.

you think?

This is the Harriet Miers GOP play. Nominate someone that ticks the boxes but is underqualified based on academic credentials. Then when the opposing party objects on those grounds, you bring the fully credentialed but more ideological candidate out from behind your back.

Everybody's coming out of this looking petty and hypocritical. Nobody is fooled into thinking that Obama is actually thinking about nominating this guy, this name is being floated only to make Republicans look silly. I'm sure Democrats feel like Obama is somehow outmaneuvering a Republican Senate that just can't get out of their own way, but to me he just looks like someone playing politics for the sake of politics itself. It's really a shame our country has come to bickering over a corpse like a dysfunctional family over an inheritance.

Everybody's coming out of this looking petty and hypocritical. Nobody is fooled into thinking that Obama is actually thinking about nominating this guy, this name is being floated only to make Republicans look silly. I'm sure Democrats feel like Obama is somehow outmaneuvering a Republican Senate that just can't get out of their own way, but to me he just looks like someone playing politics for the sake of politics itself. It's really a shame our country has come to bickering over a corpse like a dysfunctional family over an inheritance.

The people who look petty are the ones who are refusing to do their job.

This is the Harriet Miers GOP play. Nominate someone that ticks the boxes but is underqualified based on academic credentials. Then when the opposing party objects on those grounds, you bring the fully credentialed but more ideological candidate out from behind your back.

Sri, Kelly, and Watford probably already passed on this round, betting on a Dem in 2017 or 2021.

deac29, I am willing to wager that the Senate flips back to the Democrats. Much like the Democrats last go round, the Republicans are defending too many seats. There are 7 Republicans running in states that Obama carried in 2012. And if Trump is the nominee, it could get very ugly for Republicans.

deac29, I am willing to wager that the Senate flips back to the Democrats. Much like the Democrats last go round, the Republicans are defending too many seats. There are 7 Republicans running in states that Obama carried in 2012. And if Trump is the nominee, it could get very ugly for Republicans.

Just not sure I see the senate flipping, but hope you are right. If the senate flips, Obama will have a few weeks with the new senate (they get sat before the new POTUS takes over) to push his nominee through.

Lame duck Rubio or Cruz would still filibuster any Obama nominee, especially if Trump could nominate Scalia's replacement.

Lol at ANYONE who thinks the President the petty one in this situation.

Reactions: ONW
Yeah, I'm really not following the President doing his job and Congress refusing to do their job makes him the petty actor in this charade.

I would like to see Obama find the most unassailable liberal candidate he can and cram it right down their throats.

Lol at ANYONE who thinks the President the petty one in this situation.

They are all a bunch of hypocrites. Everyone of them on both sides. They have and will take the opposite position when the tables are turned. None of the usual suspects on either side of the aisle has any credibility on this issue.

They are all a bunch of hypocrites. Everyone of them on both sides. They have and will take the opposite position when the tables are turned. None of the usual suspects on either side of the aisle has any credibility on this issue.

Well they will now that the GOP has done it once. Payback is a bitch. Would Dems have refused to even consider a nominee before the GOP did it though? I doubt it. The Dem base doesn't care about this as much as the GOP base. I would not vote for any Dem senator that categorically refused to consider any SCOTUS nominee

Well they will now that the GOP has done it once. Payback is a bitch. Would Dems have refused to even consider a nominee before the GOP did it though? I doubt it. The Dem base doesn't care about this as much as the GOP base. I would not vote for any Dem senator that categorically refused to consider any SCOTUS nominee

The GOP hasn't done anything yet except talk about refusing consideration. Dems including Schumer and Biden have called for the same thing on the other side as well. Many Dems would have loved to refuse to give Alito a vote, they just didn't have the numbers to actually do it. It remains to be seen what will actually happen if and when Obama makes a nomination.

The GOP hasn't done anything yet except talk about refusing consideration. Dems including Schumer and Biden have called for the same thing on the other side as well. Many Dems would have loved to refuse to give Alito a vote, they just didn't have the numbers to actually do it. It remains to be seen what will actually happen if and when Obama makes a nomination.

Even assuming this is true, massive difference between not wanting to give a specific person a vote and not wanting to give anyone a vote

Back