• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama's air strike plans in disarray after Britain rejects use of force in Syria

They also said the Evidence was clear that there were WMD in Iraq. Hilary herself confirmed this. They don't know shit. Why, all of the sudden, did Parliament back out? Maybe their evidence isn't as rock solid as they thought.

Hillary and Congress were only shown the data that supported WMDs existing. All the data and intel that said they didn't was taken out of the document. This is known as historical fact.

Many Senators have since said had they known all the data, they would have voted against it.

This is a false equivalency.

The guy in charge now owes Hezbollah and Iran his life.

Which is worse, the possibility AQ might take charge (which isn't close to being a guarantee) or the absolute Gurantee that Hezbollah and Iran are the power behind Assad?

We are 100% certain what happens if Assad stays. Add to this no penalty for using chemical weapons and it gets much worse much quicker.
What happens if Assad says? Are you advocating for regime change?

I'm not advocating us putting a single troop in Syria.

If we don't do anything, whomever is in charge of Syria has the green light to chemical weapons to take over Lebanon again or to strike Israel or for Iran to use any way they so choose.

The reality is if we do nothing the chemical weapons ban is de facto dead.

so for you anything other than a video of Assad staring into the camera and saying, "I did it." isn't enough.
I sure as shit wouldn't cite a hawk like Mike Rogers as a reliable source.
Edward Snowden: “I, sitting at my desk, [could] wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge or even the president, if I had a personal email [address].”

Rep. Mike Rogers: “He was lying. [...] It’s impossible for him to do what he was saying he could do.”

Who is right, and who is lying? According to new revelations by the Guardian newspaper and Glenn Greenwald, the government was again avoiding the truth and Snowden was, in fact, correct. An NSA program by the name of XKeyscore provides precisely the capability that Snowden detailed and Rep. Rogers denied.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/31/the-government-lied-about-being-able-to-read-your-email-without-a-warrant/

So you want to let Syria get away with using chemical weapons to slaughter their citizens with no repercussions.

So you want to let Syria get away with using chemical weapons to slaughter their citizens with no repercussions.

They've been slaughtering each other already. Not that I don't see the difference between regular slaughter and chemical weapons, but there's just no logical end to stopping the conflict, and strategic strikes aren't likely to do much of anything. It took Clinton three years to decide to go into Bosnia. Three Years.

We signed a treaty saying we must respond to another nation using chemical weapons against their own citizens. Just because others don't live up to the treaty doesn't mean we shouldn't.

U.S. military officers have deep doubts about impact, wisdom of a U.S. strike on Syria

Former and current officers, many with the painful lessons of Iraq and Afghanistan on their minds, said the main reservations concern the potential unintended consequences of launching cruise missiles against Syria.

Some questioned the use of military force as a punitive measure and suggested that the White House lacks a coherent strategy. If the administration is ambivalent about the wisdom of defeating or crippling the Syrian leader, possibly setting the stage for Damascus to fall to fundamentalist rebels, they said, the military objective of strikes on Assad’s military targets is at best ambiguous.

“There’s a broad naivete in the political class about America’s obligations in foreign policy issues, and scary simplicity about the effects that employing American military power can achieve,” said retired Lt Gen. Gregory S. Newbold, who served as director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the run-up to the Iraq war, noting that many of his contemporaries are alarmed by the plan ...

A young army officer who is wrapping up a year-long tour [in Afghanistan]...said soldiers were surprised to learn about the looming strike, calling the prospect “very dangerous.”

“I can’t believe the president is even considering it,” said the officer, who like most officers interviewed for this story agreed to speak only on the condition of anonymity because military personnel are reluctant to criticize policymakers while military campaigns are being planned. “We have been fighting the last 10 years a counterinsurgency war. Syria has modern weaponry. We would have to retrain for a conventional war.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-military-officers-have-deep-doubts-about-impact-wisdom-of-a-us-strike-on-syria/2013/08/29/825dd5d4-10ee-11e3-b4cb-fd7ce041d814_story.html

Even the military guys don't want to do it. Wake up, Obama!

We signed a treaty saying we must respond to another nation using chemical weapons against their own citizens. Just because others don't live up to the treaty doesn't mean we shouldn't.

The U.S. Has No Legal Basis to Intervene in Syria
The Geneva Protocol of 1925 (which Syria ratified) and the Chemical Weapons Convention of 1993 (which Syria has not ratified) ban the use of chemical weapons, but do not authorize countries to attack other countries that violate these treaties. The United States has no more authority to attack Syria for violating these treaties than it does to bomb Europe for giving import preferences to Caribbean banana producers in violation of international trade law. At one time, countries could use military force as “countermeasures” against treaty violators, but only against violators that harmed the country in question—and Syria has not used chemical weapons against the United States—but in any event, that rule has been superseded by the U.N. Charter.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/view_from_chicago/2013/08/the_u_s_has_no_legal_basis_for_its_action_in_syria_but_that_won_t_stop_us.html

If we don't do anything, whomever is in charge of Syria has the green light to chemical weapons to take over Lebanon again or to strike Israel or for Iran to use any way they so choose.

No, no they don't.

You don't know that. GOP Cong. Mike Rogers, Chairman of the Intelligence Committee has said the evidence is clear. He's seen the classified data.

Hmm...sounds familiar...

I'm not advocating us putting a single troop in Syria.

The reality is if we do nothing the chemical weapons ban is de facto dead.

What is the end result they are looking for? They didn't say we are trying to destroy those that launched Chemical Weapons. They have not released a target/objection...other than to 'Send a Message'. That's not good enough for me to say I support this

Bob, you complained about my using Mike rogers, yet you used a general who led us in the failed Iraq War strategy.

"“There’s a broad naivete in the political class about America’s obligations in foreign policy issues, and scary simplicity about the effects that employing American military power can achieve,” said retired Lt Gen. Gregory S. Newbold, who served as director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the run-up to the Iraq war, noting that many of his contemporaries are alarmed by the plan ...

So now you are on the side of the people who created the Iraq War strategy?

What is the end result they are looking for? They didn't say we are trying to destroy those that launched Chemical Weapons. They have not released a target/objection...other than to 'Send a Message'. That's not good enough for me to say I support this

Exactly. And it's a message that will probably end up killing innocents who will be referred to as "human shields".

Back