• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama's air strike plans in disarray after Britain rejects use of force in Syria

No he didn't. He threw a few chemical bombs last year and nothing was done. The west has done nothing ion Syria. He thought he was home free and was protected by Russia.

This is not all like either Iraq or Libya.

My point was that you want us to make an example of Syria to deter others. Are you nuts? In Iraq, we literally destroyed an entire nations' military in like a week, overthrew and occupied it for YEARS b/c of the possible existence of chemical weapons. Didn't deter shit.

My point was that you want us to make an example of Syria to deter others. Are you nuts? In Iraq, we literally destroyed an entire nations' military in like a week, overthrew and occupied it for YEARS b/c of the possible existence of chemical weapons. Didn't deter shit.

But that's the point that some are making. We need to wipe out Syria's chemical weapon capability to show Iran that we mean business. Or something.

But that's the point that some are making. We need to wipe out Syria's chemical weapon capability to show Iran that we mean business. Or something.

Won't happen without boots on the ground. An air/missile strike is pointless. It's a waste of resources.

If we take out Assad's air force, others won't use chemical weapons.

What "others"? There are only 5 countries in the world that have them: Libya, Russia, the US, Syria, and North Korea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_weapon#Japan Libya, Russia, and the US are in the process of destroying their stockpiles.

Out of that group, who are we deterring? In what possible scenario does blowing up Assad's air force deter Russia or North Korea from doing whatever the hell they want?

also, I don't see where Obama said 'We are going to take our their air force'

No. I don't either. But that's what RJ wants I guess.

Besides, that might act as a deterrent to further use in Syria if the weapons could only be delivered by jet fighter. But it's going to take more than a couple of days to destroy an air force. And it wouldn't serve as much of a deterrent to a county like Iran.

This is just too good. 2013 RJ with Obama in charge is essentially the exact opposite of 2003 RJ with Bush in charge. If a time machine happened to be invented and we brought 2003 RJ to meet 2013 RJ who would win in the slap fight?

No. I don't either. But that's what RJ wants I guess.

Besides, that might act as a deterrent to further use in Syria if the weapons could only be delivered by jet fighter. But it's going to take more than a couple of days to destroy an air force. And it wouldn't serve as much of a deterrent to a county like Iran.

If we really want to take out their air force, it will be taken out inside a week. But I think it's irrelevant as I strongly suspect that most of the chemical weapons are artillery shells.

Is there a country on earth, where the population wants the US to launch missiles against Syria, especially in such a muddled situtation? Obama needs to back away from the button and try to save face somehow. He needs a clearer situation and better backing for a strike. What do we hope to accomplish with a strike anyway?

What "others"? There are only 5 countries in the world that have them: Libya, Russia, the US, Syria, and North Korea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_weapon#Japan Libya, Russia, and the US are in the process of destroying their stockpiles.

Out of that group, who are we deterring? In what possible scenario does blowing up Assad's air force deter Russia or North Korea from doing whatever the hell they want?

If it's OK to use them NK, Iran and Syria would certainly think about selling them.

If we really want to take out their air force, it will be taken out inside a week. But I think it's irrelevant as I strongly suspect that most of the chemical weapons are artillery shells.

Yeah, maybe, but that gets complicated from a search and destroy standpoint when you're hunting fighter jets. I know we have the capability, but I'd hate for a US fighter jet to be shot down or crash over Syria because we felt it necessary to engage in air combat. Wouldn't they immediately scramble their jets?

Yeah, maybe, but that gets complicated from a search and destroy standpoint when you're hunting fighter jets. I know we have the capability, but I'd hate for a US fighter jet to be shot down or crash over Syria because we felt it necessary to engage in air combat. Wouldn't they immediately scramble their jets?

it's their fancy Russian surface to air missile systems we have to worry about, not their jets.

It would end up making a killer sequel to Top Gun.

We don't need to put birds in the air over Syria to annihilate the air force. We just send cruise missiles to blow up the hangers, the fuel, the repair depots, and put big ass holes in the runways. Maybe some high altitude stealth bombers to help out. Sure, they can scramble in the first hours, but so what? Now they have nowhere to land, refuel, or rearm. So we blow them up in the second wave, or like Saddam's they fly to another country and land cause they don't feel like dying for Assad.

Exactly...we've gone a couple pages without mentioning Russia's willingness to fight on their behalf. We are talking about 'should we', and forgeting the Russia right now has ships on their way to the mediterranian.... Does anyone think they are just going to hang out while we fire cruise missiles?

Exactly...we've gone a couple pages without mentioning Russia's willingness to fight on their behalf. We are talking about 'should we', and forgeting the Russia right now has ships on their way to the mediterranian.... Does anyone think they are just going to hang out while we fire cruise missiles?

Yes, I do.

Russia likes selling arms to Syria but they're not going to get in a shooting war with the US for Assad.

Back