• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Offensive Line - Blame Game

Actually, I think WakeSenior03 and FD33 won the "Wrong About Everything" award something like 6 consecutive years..

Whatever "potential" this Oline had is certainly not on parade.

Who were our starters at the start and at the end of last season ?

The worst part is, it's not even close. The rest of our team is probably good enough to win some football games, even our receivers are decent enough if Wolford had time to get them the ball. Defense has been pretty good considering and the kicking game (knock on wood) has been solid.

If none of our current OL is panning out then I'd look at the OL coach. The Offensive Line personnel and their collective ratings,offers etc.,match our defensive personnel ratings,offers.

A little Ph for Ph's sake, eh.

Look, I'm all for them trying it, but don't hold your breath on that working because I think if that was a better option we'd have already seen it. Of course we may not have Ford this Saturday, so it might be moot anyway. I've seen Ford getting beat plenty of times this season and apparently the coaches feel like he's our best option at Tackle, so it's likely whoever they put there gets beats as bad or worse.

a jamesda hijack?

If none of our current OL is panning out then I'd look at the OL coach. The Offensive Line personnel and their collective ratings,offers etc.,match our defensive personnel ratings,offers.

A little Ph for Ph's sake, eh.

Ratings don't mean squat and I don't think you can start blaming a coach that's been here for 3 games, especially when the problems started a long time before he even got here.

Ratings don't mean squat and I don't think you can start blaming a coach that's been here for 3 games, especially when the problems started a long time before he even got here.

Seems clear to me too- It is not like we have not been close to last in BCS offensive ratings for the 3+ years. You don't fix that over night. Where is the surprise here? This is not a talented offensive football team.

It is not like we have not been close to last in BCS offensive ratings for the 3+ years. You don't fix that over night. Where is the surprise here? This is not a talented offensive football team.

No surprise to me, I was just responding to Lectro saying to look at the O-line coach.

Ratings matter. Before the season, I posted a breakdown of the true freshmen expected to play this year. Based on the ratings, almost all the players expected to play are the ones with the highest ratings within the class or at their position among the entire team. That's just one example.

Nick Tabacca has been the OL coach since December. That's not 3 games. That's 9 months. The OL is worse than as bad as it was last year. He's got 9 games to show real improvement this season.

liveanddie, I knew you knew. :) Just bad wording. It was intended for the Oracle- but he knew that being an oracle and all.

Ratings matter. Before the season, I posted a breakdown of the true freshmen expected to play this year. Based on the ratings, almost all the players expected to play are the ones with the highest ratings within the class or at their position among the entire team. That's just one example.

Nick Tabacca has been the OL coach since December. That's not 3 games. That's 9 months. The OL is worse than as bad as it was last year.

To Lectro's point ratings don't matter. He's saying because they are rated as good the defense they should be as good as the defense, they're not.

Nick Tabacca has been the OL coach since December. That's not 3 games. That's 9 months. The OL is worse than as bad as it was last year. He's got 9 games to show real improvement this season.

Tabacca was hired in Jan on the 10th I think. He had 20 practices from late March to April 19th. August 4 until now. Not really nine months but I get your point.

Tabacca was hired in Jan on the 10th I think. He had 20 practices from late March to April 19th. August 4 until now. Not really nine months but I get your point.

Blaming Tabacca is silly given that this problem started a long time before he got here. If we had good OL for the past several seasons and then all of a sudden we sucked this year, then yes, but not under these circumstances.

Our OL obviously lacks talent, but it is worth pointing out that Tabacca is the only coach hired that Clawson hadn't previously worked with or came from the previous staff.

No one has been more consistently wrong on these boards than Lectro.

...and that's exhibit A as to why our dear "Stats" makes out so well in the academy...there is no story he cannot weave into his own idealized version of history. I'm not certain if there is another deacon so fickle and fair weather minded. You combine that with his professed love of pragmatism and you wonder if he is too close to see the folly of the "high expectations" he claims to carry today. This doesn't look like the bullet proof prof. we all know. Has this adherent of percentage points discarded reason, becoming an idealized believer in the "improbable dream"!? Sure,sure. Don't kid yourselves,sports fans...guys like ol' 'Stats' are long time adherents of the 3-3-5 and occasional 8 school of Deacon. Thats always been the predominant scheme at Wake...it represents the series of win/season cycle Deacon faithful had been served for generations and that was fine as long as they could remain the least historically relevant hoops team among the Big 4. This,of course,is the true face of logic and brings us back around to the illogical fancy of Phdeac and claims of "high expectations".

When I first began posting on deacon boards this aforementioned,dyed in the wool deac, was so prevalent that I simply referred to them as "Legion".

Oh,to hear the tune they sing today... it would be really disturbing if I hadn't gone into the whole enterprise knowing that history is already in the dustbin.

Our OL obviously lacks talent, but it is worth pointing out that Tabacca is the only coach hired that Clawson hadn't previously worked with or came from the previous staff.

Did Clawson try to hire the one he had at Bowling Green?

The OL only got to be serviceable (and that is being generous) last year once we switched to the super wide splits to compensate for it being terrible. Our running game was just as bad against BC and ULM last year as it has been so far this year.

Clawson's main goal is to get Terry/Helms/Harris to learn to play OL in HIS system. He is not going to engage in the type of new offense every week BS that the previous regime loved just to try and show some "improvement."

Blaming Tabacca is silly given that this problem started a long time before he got here. If we had good OL for the past several seasons and then all of a sudden we sucked this year, then yes, but not under these circumstances.

Yea, but when you have a position group with so many young promising linemen - and they had inconsistent but several good performances you expect that with everyone back(nearly),a spring acclimation plus summer workouts then fall...well, I think it is safe to assume that most Deacons expected the OL to make,at the very least, some improvement since 2013. Just Harris,Helms,Hayworth,Smith and Intemann being a year older. This position group has taken what looks like two steps backwards. They don't seem to know even the basics of blocking. That represents erosion to me.

Yea, but when you have a position group with so many young promising linemen - and they had inconsistent but several good performances you expect that with everyone back(nearly),a spring acclimation plus summer workouts then fall...well, I think it is safe to assume that most Deacons expected the OL to make,at the very least, some improvement since 2013. Just Harris,Helms,Hayworth,Smith and Intemann being a year older. This position group has taken what looks like two steps backwards. They don't seem to know even the basics of blocking. That represents erosion to me.

Name them? I'm just not sure you can tie this to a position coach who's in his first year here, when the problems predate him.

The OL only got to be serviceable (and that is being generous) last year once we switched to the super wide splits to compensate for it being terrible. Our running game was just as bad against BC and ULM last year as it has been so far this year.

Clawson's main goal is to get Terry/Helms/Harris to learn to play OL in HIS system. He is not going to engage in the type of new offense every week BS that the previous regime loved just to try and show some "improvement."

Which is what I think is the key to Clawson's trend of having a horrible first year with steady improvement going forward. Based on that trend, the true freshmen playing this year will be competing for a conference championship as seniors.

Back