• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Offensive Line - Blame Game

Which is what I think is the key to Clawson's trend of having a horrible first year with steady improvement going forward. Based on that trend, the true freshmen playing this year will be competing for a conference championship as seniors.

I agree with that. I think Clawson is a lot less worried about wins this year, then he is establishing what he feels are the roots for future results under his system. Not saying that's right or wrong, but his track record certainly supports that.

I agree with that. I think Clawson is a lot less worried about wins this year, then he is establishing what he feels are the roots for future results under his system. Not saying that's right or wrong, but his track record certainly supports that.

Yes, that is the larger point. Honestly, I dont think going 1-11 this year would bother Clawson all that much. It would/(will?) suck for KJ and Bud, but they are really the only two meaningful seniors on this year's team. Clawson and his staff, for better or for worse, have their eyes on 2016 and 2017.

Name them? I'm just not sure you can tie this to a position coach who's in his first year here, when the problems predate him.

Helms,Harris,Intemann and Ford have all been noted as prospects to watch. The 2 18 year olds had solid years, Intemann is a known quantity or was. Ford returned from injury and gained as the year progressed...with the knowledge that 2014 he'd be fully recovered.

Helms,Harris,Intemann and Ford have all been noted as prospects to watch. The 2 18 year olds had solid years, Intemann is a known quantity or was. Ford returned from injury and gained as the year progressed...with the knowledge that 2014 he'd be fully recovered.

I wanted you to list the "several" good offensive line performances last year that you referenced in a prior post.

Yea, but when you have a position group with so many young promising linemen - and they had inconsistent but several good performances you expect that with everyone back(nearly),a spring acclimation plus summer workouts then fall...well, I think it is safe to assume that most Deacons expected the OL to make,at the very least, some improvement since 2013. Just Harris,Helms,Hayworth,Smith and Intemann being a year older. This position group has taken what looks like two steps backwards. They don't seem to know even the basics of blocking. That represents erosion to me.

Which ones, games that is, where the offensive line performed well last year?

Last edited:
I would look at the 3rd qtr vs USU. It was a similar change LOBO did after Clemson were we beat NCSU, MD, and should have beat Miami. Last year Syracuse adjusted as did USU in the 4th qtr. That 3rd qtr change gives me hope that the lessons the last staff learned are realized by this staff.

I would look at the 3rd qtr vs USU. It was a similar change LOBO did after Clemson were we beat NCSU, MD, and should have beat Miami. Last year Syracuse adjusted as did USU in the 4th qtr. That 3rd qtr change gives me hope that the lessons the last staff learned are realized by this staff.

Thanks

Claws was asked on his show tonight about last season's line splits and he down played it as a "gimmick" that he would not entertain.

I think his "something better" is playing the line in the basic formation they're in now, but hoping their technique improves during the season and their athleticism improves over the offseason and long-term. He phrased it as the spread line being something that can surprise an opponent but is easily adjusted to (see the 'Cuse game last year), and he'd rather invest in developing the young guys on our line in the system he believes in long-term.

Without "something better" Wolford will get killed. Wait til the Power 5 guys come to town. The young three will be the focus of the teams frustration. In other words, if they can't hang with the like of USU, what will all those 5*s from F$U do to them and what ever is left of the backfield.

If none of our current OL is panning out then I'd look at the OL coach. The Offensive Line personnel and their collective ratings,offers etc.,match our defensive personnel ratings,offers.

A little Ph for Ph's sake, eh.
Damn good point in my opinion!

Without "something better" Wolford will get killed. Wait til the Power 5 guys come to town. The young three will be the focus of the teams frustration. In other words, if they can't hang with the like of USU, what will all those 5*s from F$U do to them and what ever is left of the backfield.

I hear you, but I guess this is just a revisiting of the Utah St. game thread discussion. The question is how much can Clawson do with the current athletes; I guess I choose to take him at his word that he thinks the formation that had some success in a few games last year is not a long-term solution because it's easily addressed by an anticipating defense. If that's true, then I get why he'd rather just focus on giving our guys the most reps in the system he wants to be playing a couple of years from now when we'll hopefully have bulked up and recruited more heartily in that area. It's totally frustrating to see Wolford stuck behind this line, and I'm worried about injury or shell shock. But, to me, it makes sense why the staff is doing what it's doing.

I wish we could forfeit versus FSU. We are so bad someone is likely to get hurt. It sucks how bad we are because I can't even blindly hope for an upset when we do zero things on offense even just adequately.

Yes, that is the larger point. Honestly, I dont think going 1-11 this year would bother Clawson all that much. It would/(will?) suck for KJ and Bud, but they are really the only two meaningful seniors on this year's team. Clawson and his staff, for better or for worse, have their eyes on 2016 and 2017.

Bingo! Three weeks ago I said keep our eyes on '16. Year 3 under Claws and the schedule looks to be pretty favorable. We go bowling in 2 years! Mark it down.

Put Cameron in and let him take the beating. The rest of our team will benefit from some tough love. You don't improve and get tougher by playing pussies

I hear you, but I guess this is just a revisiting of the Utah St. game thread discussion. The question is how much can Clawson do with the current athletes; I guess I choose to take him at his word that he thinks the formation that had some success in a few games last year is not a long-term solution because it's easily addressed by an anticipating defense. If that's true, then I get why he'd rather just focus on giving our guys the most reps in the system he wants to be playing a couple of years from now when we'll hopefully have bulked up and recruited more heartily in that area. It's totally frustrating to see Wolford stuck behind this line, and I'm worried about injury or shell shock. But, to me, it makes sense why the staff is doing what it's doing.

I'm just worried about the David Carr syndrome.

At what point if you're 6-5 300 pounds and getting tooled by opponents do you get po'd and just blast the guy jobbing you or at least blatantly grab him and throw him to the turf ? Geezes, show some emotion and earn a well deserved 15-yard penalty !

sorry for ranting....

At what point if you're 6-5 300 pounds and getting tooled by opponents do you get po'd and just blast the guy jobbing you or at least blatantly grab him and throw him to the turf ? Geezes, show some emotion and earn a well deserved 15-yard penalty !

sorry for ranting....

It is deserved. No reason I can see that those guys aren't performing a lot better. Talent is not the central issue. We have some guys up front who can play. Need to coach 'em up.

sorry for ranting....

HONDO, not so much vs Army, but look at the OL when we go to L'ville. Watch to see how off balance they seem. They have tight hips which leave their center of gravity up too high. Watch to see if when they are pass blocking that their shoulder pads are way over their toes. Little things like that are the difference between holding your blocks and your QB/RB getting clobbered.

Back