• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

most ridiculous basketball shoes I ever wore, the KG Flightposite 2's
edit: Rondo was wearing pink Flightposite 1's for breast cancer awareness last night
Nike-Air-Flightposite-II-LE-Black-Spring-2010-Sample-1-570x427.jpg

Last edited:
and in the buzz era we strike out on lekan ajayi

That recruitment was weird. Dude had like a completely different top 5 every other day. Chose Wyoming over schools like Wake, Auburn and Mizzou then promptly left before the season started. Supposedly he is transferring to Florida International now.

there are better looking pink sneakers. i just hate the foams.

obviously his heart is in the right place though!

what are your thoughts on patrick patterson this year? they've got him slated as the starter for now, i've got him on my fantasy squad. seems like a solid but limited ceiling guy.

Strickland's probably more optimistic about him than I am, but he seems to know what's up.

My beef with PPat is that he tends to settle for a mid-range jumper far too much for my liking, considering it's the most inefficient shot in the game. He seems to make them at a good rate for a power forward, but I'd love to see more physicality out of the guy.

That said, Strickland's totally correct that he's a huge upgrade over Luis Scola on the defensive end. There was a reason Scola is a poster child for flopping. Dude knew it was his only hope on the defensive end.

I like that the Rockets are gambling on Lin and the Beard. That team will be fun to watch, at the very least.

didnt lin get traded to okc? i assume the beard is harden

o right, i'm an idiot. seems like royce white has already weirded himself out of the league.

I like that the Rockets are gambling on Lin and the Beard. That team will be fun to watch, at the very least.

Yea. We young. Should be interesting to watch to see who pans out and who doesn't.

The Rockets’ starters — Omer Asik, Patrick Patterson, Chandler Parsons, James Harden and Jeremy Lin — have combined to start 98 games, led by the 57 games Parsons started as a rookie.

The Rockets are the NBA’s youngest team, with an average age of 23.96. They go into a second consecutive season as the league’s least experienced team, with their players averaging just 1.9 seasons of NBA time.

The Lin thing still seems like a project, but I don't think the Harden thing is a gamble at all. His underlying statistics are so efficient (just big rates of 3's and layups/dunks) that I see him panning out extremely well with increased minutes. Asik should be hilarious to watch playing offense, but his projections are very good on the defensive end. And then there's Terrence Jones and Donuts. GET BIG, ROOKIES!

I don't expect to be a good team this year, but I do expect some real bright spots and good individual performances. Since we still have cap space for another max contract next summer, this could be a fun year to dream about the future.

o right, i'm an idiot. seems like royce white has already weirded himself out of the league.

Hah. Yeah, I don't know what to expect from White. Even if he wasn't weirding himself out of the league though, I don't think he's shown himself to be good enough to get significant minutes in the Rockets PF/SF rotation. I've only been reading scouting reports of all our games though. Can't wait to finally watch them tonight.

i just think it's a gamble from the perspective of 5 y 80 m. I think he's a great player but not sure if he's worth that price tag.

do Lin and Asik really have the same contract? structured very strange:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

Yeah, do you remember all the hubbub about their "Poison pill" or "Morey" contracts used to leverage them away from their parent clubs? As I understood it, under the new CBA a parent club looking to match a restricted free agent's offer sheet must average the pay of the contract over the years for their own salary cap purposes. The offering team (Rockets) can take the pay in each year. So, the Rockets structured the contracts to make the Knicks and Bulls eat a bunch of luxury tax this year by simply backloading the final year of the contract with huge amounts of money.

It was a clever idea, and it got the Rockets the players they wanted, but I don't know what they'll be doing about it in 2 years.

Texas, tell me more about Chandler Parsons. What's a reasonable expectation of a stat line from him per night?

Yeah, do you remember all the hubbub about their "Poison pill" or "Morey" contracts used to leverage them away from their parent clubs? As I understood it, under the new CBA a parent club looking to match a restricted free agent's offer sheet must average the pay of the contract over the years for their own salary cap purposes. The offering team (Rockets) can take the pay in each year. So, the Rockets structured the contracts to make the Knicks and Bulls eat a bunch of luxury tax this year by simply backloading the final year of the contract with huge amounts of money.

It was a clever idea, and it got the Rockets the players they wanted, but I don't know what they'll be doing about it in 2 years.

yeah it is brilliant until you're paying $30mm a year for jeremy lin and omar asik, haha

Texas, tell me more about Chandler Parsons. What's a reasonable expectation of a stat line from him per night?

I love his game, and he's basically what you want as a role player on any team. Great defensive length and ability, and he's almost always matched up with the other team's best players (last year as a rookie we matched him up against Kobe, Durant, Lebron, etc.). I think he's a lock for 5 rebs, 1stl, and close to 1 block per game. Nothing eye popping there, but he's just a super nice player to have.

Offensively, I honestly don't know. He has the look of someone who could be good offensively, as he's bouncy and long with soft hands. But last year as a rookie he was a notoriously streaky shooter. He poured in a couple fantastic (25 points ish) performances, and he did so usually by heating up from 3 and getting lots of dunks in the fast break (he runs well). Over the course of the season though, he was a horrendous FT shooter. Like 55% bad. That's Ish Smith stuff from a guy who has the appearance of an above average shooter. Weird stuff, and I'm hoping he fixed it during the offseason. Stats-wise, he may also benefit from increased minutes on this year's Rockets team.

If he's made any headway on a more consistent jump shot, he could be a really intriguing player. I like to be optimistic, so I'll say he gets 12-13ppg to go with his 5reb/2ast/1stl/1blk averages.

yeah it is brilliant until you're paying $30mm a year for jeremy lin and omar asik, haha

YUP.

They have two years to figure out how to deal with that, and I'm sure someone here (Strickland? FYC?) can mull over the options. Maybe amenstying one of them is an option? Not sure.

Back