• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

Are we really the broadcaster low standard? True they are pretty biased but they are also pretty knowledgeable. Personally, I've always found the New Orleans guys to be pretty terrible.

Neat article, but I wish all 30 teams had the cameras so we could compare every player. I do love this technology though.

you gotta admit, your boston guys are pretty bad too

Actually, I don't admit that. Mike and Tommy are the longest-tenured broadcasting team in sports. Mike is the bomb and and a great play by play guy. I fully recognize that Tommy is ridiculous, but if you're going to listen to a shill (as you will with every local sports broadcast), at least listen to a shill with 10 rings who's been attached to every single Finals appearance in franchise history.

Objectively speaking, Tommy's shtick is hilarious. I honestly don't understand why some people from the outside looking in don't realize that.

Yeah, I get why people like bdz feel bad for Dwight though.

It honestly seems like he doesn't know any better. He's still a child trapped in a monster (think Space Jam) body.

Yeah, I get why people like bdz feel bad for Dwight though.

It honestly seems like he doesn't know any better. He's still a child trapped in a monster (think Space Jam) body.

Even so. He's like a version of LeBron who lacks 1) the elite ability + work ethic and 2) the ability to make a decision. So, not only does he refuse to own up to the stupid decisions that he's made by being a complete idiot on the PR side of things, he's also not working hard enough to get better to let his game speak for itself. At this rate, when his athleticism is gone, Dwight is going to be the scourge of the NBA.

Yea, I'm just hoping the Lakers re-sign him.

1) it'll just be hilarious, and
2) the Rockets may just think they can pair him with Harden and throw out a max offer again... which is about the worst thing I can imagine.

do i recall correctly that people were making arguments that he was better than Shaq? Not necessarily on here but in general?

do i recall correctly that people were making arguments that he was better than Shaq? Not necessarily on here but in general?

I don't think many people have made that claim here, but definitely elsewhere. The Shaq comparisons are ridiculous because, for Shaq, it was less about ability than it was about conditioning and fitness. For Dwight, he's about as close to an elite physical profile in sickness than most are in perfect health. He just has not gotten an ounce better as a basketball player.

Hakeem and Shaq, especially, would have dominated Dwight. Robinson and Ewing could probably hold their own too.

And Yao Ming, were he still around, would have had some interesting battles with Dwight. Yao being simply bigger and more skilled, and Dwight being so athletic.

Seriously, Dwight's like one good break away from having a Melo-esque turnaround where he dominates and everyone thinks he's the greatest.

Seriously, Dwight's like one good break away from having a Melo-esque turnaround where he dominates and everyone thinks he's the greatest.

It's a completely different situation. Melo is infinitely talented. He just has difficulty accepting roles that are perfect for his skill set, rather than how he feels he should be utilized. For instance, Carmelo Anthony is and would be an outstanding, utterly un-guardable, NBA power forward.

With Dwight, he has been an extremely productive player on both sides of the floor, but he's utterly unskilled. He simply hasn't diversified his post moves (Robinson or Shaq), gained a shooting stroke (Ewing or Hakeem or, hell, Amar'e), or really done much in the way of improving or adapting that suggest that he'll be much of a factor, particularly on offense, as he loses his athleticism to injuries and age.

It's a completely different situation. Melo is infinitely talented. He just has difficulty accepting roles that are perfect for his skill set, rather than how he feels he should be utilized. For instance, Carmelo Anthony is and would be an outstanding, utterly un-guardable, NBA power forward.

With Dwight, he has been an extremely productive player on both sides of the floor, but he's utterly unskilled. He simply hasn't diversified his post moves (Robinson or Shaq), gained a shooting stroke (Ewing or Hakeem or, hell, Amar'e), or really done much in the way of improving or adapting that suggest that he'll be much of a factor, particularly on offense, as he loses his athleticism to injuries and age.

Of course they're completely different players, that's not the point. If Dwight ends up on a new team on which he's the man and everything is tailored to him, there'll be a turnaround, he'll put up insane numbers and get lots of wins, and everyone will love him again. Just like with Melo.

Of course they're completely different players, that's not the point. If Dwight ends up on a new team on which he's the man and everything is tailored to him, there'll be a turnaround, he'll put up insane numbers and get lots of wins, and everyone will love him again. Just like with Melo.

That's a huge "if," pending Dwight's ability to get healthy without losing his incredible physical advantage. Watch Dwight from his second to his seventh year (pre-injury in his eighth and ninth seasons): he just hasn't really developed at all offensively. Elite athletes cannot get by on their athleticism forever. They have to adapt somehow. For some guys, it's purely mental (i.e. Allen Iverson). For others, like say Tracy McGrady (rather than, for instance, Vince Carter), there's a lot that they could have done in terms of their skill set that would have helped them remain relevant for far longer than their early days would suggest.

Our BOY Haberstroh dropping silly writing skills on LBJ's current 49-65 shooting run.

Here’s how his 65 shots look when you write it out:

Make, make, make, make, make, make, make, make, make, make, make, make, miss, make, make, make, make, make, make, make, make, miss, make, miss, make, make, make, miss, make, make, make, make, miss, miss, miss, miss, make, make, make, make, make, make, miss, make, make, miss, make, make, make, miss, make, make, make, miss, make, miss, make, miss, make, make, miss, miss, make, make, make.

Back