• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012 Carolina Panthers Thread (Cam's broken legs >>> RG3's knees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like that article has been written every year the last 3 or so years about the Panthers (minus the salary dump year before the lockout when JR was trying to make a point).

All true.... and our talent was declining each of those 3 years.

Gamble was great in college but has always been overrated in the NFL. He gets torched by pretty much every decent receiver he matches up against.

Not sure I'd go that far. He was probably a middle-of-the-pack CB1 when healthy, though he was awful in 2010 and terrific in 2011.

yeah but he hasn't had a real second CB or decent safeties in years and years

yeah but he hasn't had a real second CB or decent safeties in years and years

Four years of Ken Lucas, one year of Good Richard Marshall, one year of Bad Richard Marshall, one year of Ricky Manning Jr., and then Munnerlyn/Norman this year. Could have been worse. Safeties have been pretty solid (Minter, Harris, Godfrey) for the most part, but certainly better in run support than coverage.

ETA: Yearly starting line-ups.
Football Outsiders ratings from 2011 (when he was very, very good).

Last edited:
Not sure if Gamble was very, very good in 2011, or Munnerlyn was very, very, very, very, very bad

Not sure if Gamble was very, very good in 2011, or Munnerlyn was very, very, very, very, very bad

Gamble had the third lowest passer rating against in the NFL when QBs threw at him in 2011, only behind Revis and Asomugha.

Looking at those numbers again Munnerlyn was targeted less than I remembered last year. Still, he was 5th from last among all CBs

Gamble's salary just about reflects what he's worth. Unfortunately in the NFL the best teams don't have many (non-QB, LT) players where that is the case.

The way they're dragging this out makes it seem like they're either going to keep Rivera, or they're not going to make a decision on Rivera until a permanent GM is in place. I would lead towards the former since most of the big-name coaches will be gone by the time we even decide Ron's fate.

I would be surprised at this point if Rivera is canned. Several factors are working against that:

strong finish to the season;
only 2 years into contract;
time delay in the meeting; and
players like Ron.

My teams love mediocrity. Expect the same stuff next year.

I would be surprised at this point if Rivera is canned. Several factors are working against that:

strong finish to the season;
only 2 years into contract;
time delay in the meeting; and
players like Ron.

I think this is key. Canning Rivera after this year would pretty much end any momentum the end of this season could have... unless we made some sort of splash hire, which JR isn't going to do.

Look at history. Strong finishes do not generate momentum for the Panthers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back