• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread: TIMOTHY THEODORE DUNCAN #5

Not as bad as the trades of Wilt or Kareem....or trading the rights to Bill Russell for a few nights of the Ice Capades.

Along these lines, they should expand the Bird Rule to include going into the "luxury tax". If you are re-signing players you drafted, you shouldn't have to pay a tax for keeping them. It's not fair to the executives of the team or to the fans who have supported them.

Eh...shouldn't have mattered in this case imo. The Thunder would have made up the luxury tax penalty in merchandise sales and franchise value pretty easily I think. I also believe they would have actually been out of it next year...given the expected cap bump (like $5M or something).

10 years from now, where will that Harden decision rank among bad FO moves? I assume ahead of Oden and behind Bowie?

That decision, the lack of a Perk amnesty and keeping Scott Brooks have cost this franchise. They could almost hand pick their next coach if they can offer the ability to coach Westbrook, Durant, Harden & Ibaka.

Eh...shouldn't have mattered in this case imo. The Thunder would have made up the luxury tax penalty in merchandise sales and franchise value pretty easily I think. I also believe they would have actually been out of it next year...given the expected cap bump (like $5M or something).

Take a look http://hoopshype.com/salaries/oklahoma_city.htm

If you substitute Harden's $16M+ (you get more for staying) and filling the open slots, they would be pushing $80M for the next 3-5 years. That puts them into the "repeat offender" position which multiplies the tax.

They would need a change in the rule.

But yea, merchandising would help a great deal.

Last edited:
Westbrook strikes me as a pretty unique player himself.

The real answer is that they should have just fucking amnestied Perkins and dipped into the tax if they needed to. Could have been a dynasty. Really just insane thinking what they could have been with the second best player in the league, the best shooting guard in the league, a top 5 point guard, and a top 5 power forward (at least I guess Ibaka is top 5).

They eventually would have had to let someone go if they keep drafting well. What do they plan to do about Reggie Jackson? Adams has good potential.

Repealing the luxury tax on players you drafted is a terrible idea and would have wide ranging consequences you couldn't even predict.

All because Clay Bennett is a cheap billionaire?

How about not having Scotty Brooks, who can't cleanly shift gears, driving a state of the art Ferrari into a ditch every year.

Mention the Harden trade to Thunder diehards and they will post that Harden bad defense video, on repeat. They* actually think they're better off without him.

(*Not all Thunder fans, of course, just the stupid ones. Which seems a sizable amount, based off my Internetz recon.)

Mention the Harden trade to Thunder diehards and they will post that Harden bad defense video, on repeat. They* actually think they're better off without him.

(*Not all Thunder fans, of course, just the stupid ones. Which seems a sizable amount, based off my Internetz recon.)

Well, Oklahoma...

Repealing the luxury tax on players you drafted is a terrible idea and would have wide ranging consequences you couldn't even predict.

All because Clay Bennett is a cheap billionaire?

How about not having Scotty Brooks, who can't cleanly shift gears, driving a state of the art Ferrari into a ditch every year.

Why on Earth would it have a negative impact? Why should you be penalized for be good at your job?

Thunder fan here: the trade was awful, stupid, ect. I love Adams, and think he can be a great player for us, but still. Harden is a top 15 player for sure. The players we got were very raw, the trade may have ended up not as bad if Brooks actually developed his players (Lamb, Jones, ect) better and let them play and learn. Still, a stupid trade. Also, Brooks sucks

Separately, on the Kidd-Gilchrist discussion that was a few pages back: before Michael Gilchrist (prior to the name change) blew out his knee his senior year at St Anthonys (or whatever St school he went to, I forget) he was considered by some analysts (I want to say Evan Daniels, but don't quote me on that) to possibly end up being the biggest phenom coming out of HS since Lebron (though nowhere hear Bron's level). Knee screwed that up, and a ridiculously funky shot probably would have shown in college either way, and thus there he is now. Probably got away with athleticism in HS (like most top level athletes) and looked that good as a result.

Rj... You act as if the luxury tax has no purpose other than to punish owners. It has two very specific purposes and your not very well thought out rule you've been spouting since the Harden trade would all but render it toothless because a majority of teams are filled with players they drafted.

Under rj's new rule, Dywane Wade's 20 million dollar salary comes off the lux tax books for the Miami Heat and they don't have to pay the luxury tax. A team completely born out of the biggest FA coup in history is rewarded for drafting well! Spend some more money Heat, that's what the league needs.

Under rj's new rule, Dywane Wade's 20 million dollar salary comes off the lux tax books for the Miami Heat and they don't have to pay the luxury tax. A team completely born out of the biggest FA coup in history is rewarded for drafting well! Spend some more money Heat, that's what the league needs.

That's not what I said......the only way you'd get this off is to keep the people you've drafted....not add players from other teams.

The Heat drafted Dywane Wade. Why on Earth would he count against the luxury tax? The non-drafted players combined salaries don't go over the 70 million dollar tax line.

Back