• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread: TIMOTHY THEODORE DUNCAN #5

If a list of basketball cliches was compiled, and then those cliches were banned, I honestly don't think Scott Brooks could complete one interview.

In his defense, there isn't much to say after getting worked like that.

Four championships and five Western Conference Championships bridging the eras of C-Webb and Vlade to Kyrie and Wiggins is already impressive. Adding one more would put them even with the Adelman Kings in my mind.

FIFY

If a list of basketball cliches was compiled, and then those cliches were banned, I honestly don't think Scott Brooks could complete one interview.

Oh Scotty Brooks only shot 10 free throws tonight????? SUCKS WHEN YOU DON'T SHOOT 40 VERSUS 20 TWO GAMES IN A ROW AFTER ITS 2-2 HUH SCOTTY?????

In a league where you need to beat Durant and/or Lebron to win a championship, is Kawhi a max contract player?

Are all our resident Spurs fans going to stay Spurs fans after Tim retires? #playtherightway

It will be different, but after 17 (maybe 18 or 19) years you can't just walk away. And when you consider that when this all started the team quickly was all about Duncan and his ability to dominate the game, now Tim is one of the pieces (still a pretty big one, but not the only one).

Also consider that some of the great moments burned into our minds are not from Tim. Sean Elliot and the Memorial Day Miracle, Steve Kerr destroying the Mavs with a barrage of 3 ptrs off the bench and Big Shot Bob in Detroit.

It will be different, but after 17 (maybe 18 or 19) years you can't just walk away. And when you consider that when this all started the team quickly was all about Duncan and his ability to dominate the game, now Tim is one of the pieces (still a pretty big one, but not the only one).

Also consider that some of the great moments burned into our minds are not from Tim. Sean Elliot and the Memorial Day Miracle, Steve Kerr destroying the Mavs with a barrage of 3 ptrs off the bench and Big Shot Bob in Detroit.

And I'll take this time to give Deac83 props for believing in the Spurs franchise when folks like me were saying Timmy should go to Orlando with the cap space and more appeal to draw free agents.

And Deac83 was the first poster here to really hype up Manu before he stepped on an NBA floor.

Are all our resident Spurs fans going to stay Spurs fans after Tim retires? #playtherightway

Probably. I still want CP3 to have incredible success. I definitely wouldn't root for the Spurs over him at any point. MY HORNETS returning might be a GAMECHANGER though.

If the Spurs can win a title in '99 and B2B in '14-15 (argghhh think about a 3 peat) what's their legacy?

I think they have cemented their legacy in terms of consistency and longevity, but winning B2B would take them to the next level. I like all the GOAT teams have won B2B.

In a league where you need to beat Durant and/or Lebron to win a championship, is Kawhi a max contract player?

This is why I think James Johnson is gonna have some suitors. Obviously he's not at Leonard's level and he is inconsistent but someone gonna pay him to guard those 2 guys 10/15 minutes per game

This series is why I have said since the trade that okc traded the wrong guy. Harden has an unstoppable game and a unique skillset. Westbrook is replaceable. Obviously the replacement is a downgrade as westie is great but I would have tried to trade Westbrook for jameer Nelson plus a pick. A seasoned pg would be running better sets. Harden + durant + serge + Nelson = championships

Last edited:
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 1h
I get why everyone wants to compare the 2012 WCF to this Spurs-Thunder series, but the massive differences are obvious, right?

vtoknfwqm2eh4ygwpifs.png

11/11

I think Perkins was also a double figure scorer in that game too.

just skimming the thread and saw this. ibaka was 11/11 as mentioned most of them mid range jumpers. perkins was something like 8-9 and hit a bunch of mid range jumpers. that was terrible to watch while rooting for the spurs.

I do too. I just think when you look at that 2012 team, the 3 guys to keep are Harden, Durant, and Ibaka. Plus, Westbrook might even have had more trade value than Harden because his contract wasn't about to expire and he was a starter, not a 6th man.

Of course you couldn't know he would develop a knee injury that will likely become chronic as he gets closer to 30 years old, but I still would have moved Westbrook for a second level starting point guard plus a pick or two. Jeff Teague and Atlanta's first pick; Jameer Nelson and Orlando's pick ...

Westbrook strikes me as a pretty unique player himself.

The real answer is that they should have just fucking amnestied Perkins and dipped into the tax if they needed to. Could have been a dynasty. Really just insane thinking what they could have been with the second best player in the league, the best shooting guard in the league, a top 5 point guard, and a top 5 power forward (at least I guess Ibaka is top 5).

Westbrook strikes me as a pretty unique player himself.

The real answer is that they should have just fucking amnestied Perkins and dipped into the tax if they needed to. Could have been a dynasty. Really just insane thinking what they could have been with the second best player in the league, the best shooting guard in the league, a top 5 point guard, and a top 5 power forward (at least I guess Ibaka is top 5).

Along these lines, they should expand the Bird Rule to include going into the "luxury tax". If you are re-signing players you drafted, you shouldn't have to pay a tax for keeping them. It's not fair to the executives of the team or to the fans who have supported them.

10 years from now, where will that Harden decision rank among bad FO moves? I assume ahead of Oden and behind Bowie?

Back