• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread - That was great.

Strickland33

Reaction score
The deadline has passed and names are in. The lottery is on May 21 and the draft is on June 27.

Notable last minute deadline withdrawals include: Baylor C Isaiah Austin (torn labrum) and MSU PF Adreian Payne. Detroit PG Ray McCallum and Colorado SF/PF Andre Roberson kept their names in.

Here's a list of who's in and who's out.

Some mock drafts:
Draftexpress.com - http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/
NBADraft.net - http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

Pundits and the press are saying this is a weak draft, but I think it's actually quite strong throughout. There are not many surefire stars, but there are plenty of players who project to have good-to-above average careers.

What do you think?

i'd be trying to accumulate as many 1st round picks in the 2014 draft as possible

Strick, will the NCAA try to do anything to guys who withdrew their names after the dumb NCAA mandated date? I'm sure they can't but who knows what the NCAA will try to do.

Strick, will the NCAA try to do anything to guys who withdrew their names after the dumb NCAA mandated date? I'm sure they can't but who knows what the NCAA will try to do.

I really don't know, though this article seems to address that issue:

To help with this process, the NBA is again offering underclassmen the ability to get actual feedback from a group of executives representing 20 NBA teams selected by the League Office, and chaired by NBA Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Stu Jackson, called the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee.

According to NBA spokesman Tim Frank, who we corresponded with via email in researching this article, this committee consists of “General Managers, Assistant General Managers, and VP's of Player Personnel and the like who scout college basketball extensively during the college basketball season.“

NCAA underclassmen must apply for an evaluation in writing no later than April 10 th, which is two days after the Championship game of the NCAA tournament in Atlanta.

The NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee will deliver their evaluation on or before April 15th.

According to NBA spokesman Tim Frank “once the committee does their analysis of the player, the draft projection is communicated to the player, coach, or anyone else who the player designates, such as family, in a phone call in which the draft projection is shared and the player (or others involved) can ask questions about the projection and the draft process.”

Frank also explained via email that “we instruct our Committee members to provide as narrow of a draft range as they can with confidence, and they are not limited to the lottery, first round, second round, not drafted framework and other more specific descriptors covering ranges are much more commonly used. We collect the projections from our Committee members and summarize this information to the players and others who they designate, and the draft projections and ranges obviously vary based upon the given prospect.”

What's important to note (and has been widely misreported in the media), is that requesting an evaluation from the advisory committee does not constitute entering the draft. In fact, the application form explicitly states that “this application is not a declaration of eligibility for the 2013 NBA draft. A separate letter must be sent to Commission David Stern (received by April 28, 2013) declaring eligibility for the 2013 NBA draft. An application form for the 2013 NBA draft will be sent upon receipt of the letter of declaration.”

What that means is that, theoretically, a college player could still wait until April 28th to enter the NBA draft, as these are two separate deadlines, and there seemingly is no benefit at all to entering his name before, particularly since he will lose his NCAA eligibility if he does not remove it before April 16th.

For example, if a player seriously injures himself between April 17th and April 28th, but had already sent a letter to David Stern declaring their eligibility for the 2013 NBA Draft, that player would be ineligible to return to school.

While college coaches would obviously love to have all of their answers regarding who will or will not return to their team by April 16th, so they can start their vacation early or get an early jump on next season, realistically there is no reason why an underclassmen wouldn't continue to privately investigate their NBA draft stock until April 28th.

Is the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee the answer then? While it's certainly noble of the NBA to try an assist with the process, it remains extremely difficult for a player to get an accurate gauge of their draft stock in April, as there are just too many variables to predict that are out of anyone's control.

I'm not sure how the players who withdrew after the 16th declared and if they declared according to the process outlined by Givony above, but it seems like they would have to have, right?

Another interesting article, using the 2011 Draft as a point of comparison for 2013.

Here's the top 10. Two years later, it's not all that pretty:

1. Kyrie Irving
2. Derrick Williams
3. Enes Kanter
4. Tristan Thompson
5. Jonas Valanciunas
6. Jan Vesely
7. Bismack Biyombo
8. Brandon Knight
9. Kemba Walker
10. Jimmer Fredette

Just from the top of the lottery, you can see why everyone was so down on this draft. Irving is the only obvious All-Star and there are several players who already look like misses in the Top 10.

If a second All-Star is going to emerge from this group, my guess is it will be either Kanter or Valanciunas. They're big, athletic and (at least reasonably) skilled, as opposed to Biyombo and Vesely, who haven't figured out a role on the offensive side of the floor. It's really, really hard to play good interior defense in the NBA, which is why defensive-minded big men take so long to develop.

NBA Draft Toolbox
Jonathan Tjarks' ongoing analysis of the 2013 NBA Draft.

But look at how this draft plays out as we go further down the list.

11. Klay Thompson
12. Alec Burks
13. Marcus Morris
14. Markieff Morris
15. Kawhi Leonard
16. Nikola Vucevic
17. Iman Shumpert
18. Chris Singleton
19. Tobias Harris
20. Donatas Motiejunas

Two years later, the stretch from 15-19 in particular doesn't look much worse than 1-5. Leonard is the biggest surprise to me, just because he suddenly learned how to become a knockdown shooter in the NBA. Vucevic, Shumpert and Harris all look like they will be valuable players for a long time, which is more than you can say for a lot of the guys taken ahead of them.

Yet, if any of those three had gone in the Top 10 in 2011, people would have scoffed. There's a lot of groupthink in the draft. Defying the industry consensus really isn't a big deal.

21. Nolan Smith
22. Kenneth Faried
23. Nikola Mirotic
24. Reggie Jackson
25. MarShon Brooks
26. Jordan Hamilton
27. JaJuan Johnson
28. Norris Cole
29. Cory Joseph
30. Jimmy Butler

By 20-30, you're just hoping to find a player. That's why, all things being equal, you always want to go with a big man like Faried at this point. An average-to-good big man is way more valuable than an average-to-good perimeter player. Solid contributors like Jackson, Cole and Butler are also in this group.

The other really interesting storyline to follow is Nikola Mirotic, who's already one of the best players in Europe at the age of 22. The problem is that it's going to be hard for the Bulls to give him enough money to come over, given the various ways the players and the owners have conspired to screw over young players in CBA negotiations.

4) If you think a guy has the ceiling of a backup PG, there's no reason to draft him in the first round. You can get a guy like Nolan Smith in the second round. The Kings got a guy better with the No. 60 overall pick in Thomas. There's a position spectrum (point guard-center) in basketball just like there is in baseball (first baseman-catcher). It's important to understand how talent is distributed among all five positions. When it comes to borderline NBA players, the farther to the left from PG - SG - SF - PF - C, the less valuable a guy is.

5) The Kings haven't done a lot of things right lately, but they should take a bow for finding a good NBA point guard with the last pick in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. Thomas is why you should never take a draft pick for granted, even late in the second round. You never know; it's an inexact science. There's no excuse for not doing your homework, even in the 50s.

Honestly the preparation for this draft just makes me excited about college basketball next year (Wake excluded, sadly). Lots of guys returning who we thought would be gone: Russ Smith, Smart, McDermott, Payne, McGary, Robinson, Fair, Napier. With all of the talented freshman coming in, I think it will be a really interesting year next year.

I've got a gentlemen's bet with a friend on who goes higher: Len or Plumlee. I have Len. I'm in good shape right?

I've got a gentlemen's bet with a friend on who goes higher: Len or Plumlee. I have Len. I'm in good shape right?

You're in great shape right now.

That said, Plumlee the elder crushed the physical measurements-portion of last year's combine, over-performed in workouts, and went from undrafted to guaranteed first round money.

There's no telling where the middle Plumlee's stock will be by the lottery. In a less stacked draft and with good workouts, you never know...

I'd really love to see the Hornetcats end up with Noel. They're gonna be super bad again next year, so they can give Noel all the time he needs to get back to 100%.

Really interested to see who scoops up Nate Wolters in the second round. In that round, you're either drafting for crazy upside or anyone that can contribute as a rotation player. Wolters strikes me as a rotation player for a long time in the league if he can play even average defense. With his size, handles, and shooting ability he seems like a pretty safe 2nd rounder.

He's also a dude I could see the Spurs drafting at 28 who then makes the whole league scratch their heads in 2 years.

i'd be trying to accumulate as many 1st round picks in the 2014 draft as possible

The Bobcats could potentially have three lottery picks in the 2014 draft. Their own pick (Top 10 protected from the Bulls -- a lock they won't have to give it up), Detroit's pick (Top 8 protected -- seems likely that Detroit finishes out of the low lottery), and Portland's pick (Top 12 protected -- 50/50; the Cats have to hope for a playoffs near miss).

Giannis Adetekumbo all the way down in the 20's in this draft?

Could see someone trying to move up to get him if he's available past 15.

The Bobcats could potentially have three lottery picks in the 2014 draft. Their own pick (Top 10 protected from the Bulls -- a lock they won't have to give it up).

I believe it becomes unprotected in 2016, so I have to think the Bulls will wait til then, unless the Bobcats all of a sudden get better before then.

Weird draft. The lottery looks so underwhelming but there really are some intriguing international guys in the middle of the draft.

Weird draft. The lottery looks so underwhelming but there really are some intriguing international guys in the middle of the draft.

For sure. Much better than in recent years, I think. Also and speaking of steals, I heard via Twitter today that Davis Bertans is going to be working out with the Spurs this summer. That guy could definitely make some noise in the League. He's only 20 and arguably the best perimeter shooter playing professional ball in Europe right now.

Really interested to see who scoops up Nate Wolters in the second round. In that round, you're either drafting for crazy upside or anyone that can contribute as a rotation player. Wolters strikes me as a rotation player for a long time in the league if he can play even average defense. With his size, handles, and shooting ability he seems like a pretty safe 2nd rounder.

He's also a dude I could see the Spurs drafting at 28 who then makes the whole league scratch their heads in 2 years.

Even after a monster season and a solid showing against Burke in the NCAAT, he's still flying under the radar. For the life of me, I'm still not sure why he declined his invitation to Portsmouth. In addition to getting some better measurements, it would have been a great opportunity to prove himself against better-caliber athletes.

More than anything, he needs to measure 6'4 (with, at least, a 6'4 wingspan) in shoes on a 200-pound frame with decent athletic test numbers at the Combine.

Yea, guys like Adetekunbo and Jaiteh also have the upside to be good NBA players. In Adetekunbos case, possibly great.

People are liking Gobert's defensive possibilities at 7'1 with a 7'9 wingspan, but Euros tend to get GMs fired.

I think Porter will be a star. Burke has to get some weight. I think Zeller is a sucker's bet.

I also think Dieng is the perfect pick for OKC at #12. With the expanding offense of Ibaka, Dieng would be a perfect C to pair with Serge on the boards and on D.

Dieng has picked up a 15' J and is a very good passer. He's exactly what they need in the post.

Back