• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread - That was great.

Okay, so it's great that he's improved. There's no desire that he's a much improved player and arguably a starting-caliber shooting guard for, at least, half of the teams in the NBA.

"That inefficiency is direct result of being asked to carry an offense and not be part of one" - That isn't true. In any shape or form.

He's wildly inefficient because he's neither a good finisher (46.2% 2FG) nor perimeter shooter (33% on just 1.5 attempts per game) and he still never gets to the line enough to compensate.

His inefficiency is strongly correlated to the number of times he's forced to jack up bailout shots or attack set defenses deep in the shot clock. Context matters. You think K Leonard would look "efficient" if he was starting on the 12-13 Bobcats?

I wouldn't call him "wildly inefficient." His Adjusted PER (Hoopdata stat) is 6th in the league among SGs that played 25 minutes per game. His TS% has increased each year and this year was better than Joe Johnson, Klay Thompson, JJ Redick, Iggy, and JR Smith.

Yea. I hadn't looked at the numbers until today. He is getting better every year. That's a good sign given that he plays for a franchise in flux for his career.

By threat, you meant threat of a lawsuit right?

Yeah, and not even really that. Just the wording. "I'd be careful, Glenn." First-naming him. Warning him. Just sounds a little too much like a threat, even though it really isn't one. But ESPN and NBA suits will crap themselves over much, much less. I think Simmons is very lucky this is happening in the offseason. Smart of both of them to just squash it.

His inefficiency is strongly correlated to the number of times he's forced to jack up bailout shots or attack set defenses deep in the shot clock. Context matters. You think K Leonard would look "efficient" if he was starting on the 12-13 Bobcats?

Absolutely correct. Numbers in a vacuum are virtually meaningless.

I guess so... I don't know. He still plays very similarly to how he did in college and his tendency to "get stuck" in those situations happened all of the time back then, too. I'll take your word for it, though. Y'all watch far more Bobcats games than I do.

That said, your Kawhi example entails a completely different set of hypothetical context. For one, I'll bet Kawhi wouldn't be taking corner threes for the Bobcats. He'd probably play similarly to MKG, with lesser ball skills, since that's what he was for SDSU as a senior.

If he doesn't have the ball and the offensive scheme is bad, no he's not responsible to any serious extent.

In theory he is minimally responsible, but you can't legitimately compare his responsibility to other players who have decent systems and teammates.

"Being forced to jack up bailout shots" is very subjective. Forced by whom exactly? Is he not responsible for ineffective offense for his team?

Agreed and this is and has been the issue with Henderson. Dude takes a ton of low percentage mid-range jumpers - 47% of his overall jumpers to be exact. He makes 43% of those. I'm sure some of those are because of the fact that Charlotte's offense is almost as bad as [Redacted], but that doesn't mean they all are...

To redirect this back to the NBA Draft, Henderson strikes me as a likely-case for Shabazz Muhammad. Somewhere between Henderson and Lance Stephenson, is probably more accurate. Henderson is a bit more athletic, but I think they have similar upside. That's assuming he screws his head on right. Bazz is a weird dude, and all of the red flags are legitimate.

You can't expect to hit a high percentage of shots as the shot clock winds down. You are usually covered tighter and aren't usually in your prime scoring position. This is especially true for wings and even truer for bad teams.

You're all making good points. Henderson still has a lot to prove. But if you look at his steady improvement to date, and kind of adjust for the environment he's been playing in, I think you can see the very good player he could become. He's one guy the Bobcats simply can't let go. Leader, improving, steady two-way player, and wants to be there. I'm looking forward to seeing him able to play with some semblance of an NBA-caliber front line in front of him. Right now he's running with super-raw kids and old stiffs.

My point is that over 60% of his overall FGA are jump shots and nearly 50% of those shots are from mid-range, which is probably the least high percentage look on the floor. He makes a very good percentage of those jumpers at 43%, but that's still not a particularly efficient percentage to shoot from inside of the arc (supported by his overall 46% 2FG).

Like I said, I'm sure that some of those looks can be chocked up to end of shotclock play-dissolution, but his offense has always been mid-range heavy, with questionable finishing ability around the basket without showing the ability to get the line at a high rate. His scouting report from his junior season at Duke to his fourth in the NBA hasn't changed a whole lot.

Having no options to work with and no scheme lowers percentages. You have to factor that in,

When I first saw Henderson at USA Bball in SD, I saw a nearly exact replica of his dad. He's a really good guy for a playoff team to bring off the bench.

I thought Henderson played pretty well the final 15 games of the season. They are basically ok at the 1-2-3.

Then the front court is a disaster.

They need a legit PF so badly and then there is Bizmack.

Simmons is likely a flavor of the month. He's a hack homer. If he gets fired, in three years, people will be asking, "whatever happened to Simmons?"

lol how come no one told me RJ is just a really thorough and elaborate troll?

I've gotten emails from the Sixers, Celtics, Mavs and Hawks saying they'd like to sign me for next season.....not they are starting to tank already or anything...

Back