• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread - That was great.

^So when does the #JordanOUT billboard go up in Charlotte?

If only one fact comes out regarding the Bobcat's Zeller pick, please let it be this: Richard Cho overruled Jordan and selected Zeller. Jordan favored another player --- which one has not yet been disclosed, though I'm sure it will come out eventually -- but Cho adamantly wanted Zeller. Cho had apparently been advocating hard for Zeller for a week, based on his strong reliance on advanced analytics and the jump shot Zeller showed off in the private workout. Jordan agreed last year to give the last say to Cho on basketball decisions, and kept his word. So if Zeller is a bust, it's on Cho, who is basically staking his entire reputation (and job) on this pick.

My wish list for the Horncats that I posted early this year was Zeller, Bennett, or Isiah Austin. Of those 3, I think Austin is the best by far. 19 years old and a legit 7'1, showed more skill and a better shooing stroke than Len, hitting 30 of 90 three pointers this year. That kid could be damn good next year for Baylor.

Okay, good then. You've dropped your original incorrect statement. Call my opinion just plain dumb all you want---there's a huge chance you're correct. I just happen to like Zeller way more than either Len or Noel, regardless of who drafted any of them. Is there a shrugging emoticon?

Also, any time you can spare your "I know exactly what the future holds based on this evening's draft" device, I'd love a turn. Must be pretty useful.

No, I stand by my original statement. That's what blind fanhood reads like.

Like Zeller all you want, just know there's a reason 99.9% of people are mocking it. And it's not because Zeller's not the player that Noel and Len are (though it's unlikely he'll be the players they will be. As many others have pointed out, he's near his ceiling already, jumper or no jumper, and it's not all that impressive. Comparing him to Bosh is laughable. Bosh is exponentially more athletic and a better defender. Bosh blocks. Zeller gets blocked.) It's that the Horcats, with any creativity and/or imagination, could've gotten Zeller AND more. You keep saying they needed a trade partner for that to happen - well, there were plenty of teams out there who wanted Noel/Len/McLemore. All they had to do with Sactown, for example, was insinuate they wanted McLemore/were trading the pick to a team who wanted McLemore, and the Kings would've balked.

All signs out of Charlotte are saying "Zeller was our guy, we were taking him no matter what." That's fine. But to do so and leave "assets" (shudder) on the table is piss-poor management and roster-building. And trust me, after a decade-plus of the Maloofs, I recognize poor management and roster-building when I see it.

If only one fact comes out regarding the Bobcat's Zeller pick, please let it be this: Richard Cho overruled Jordan and selected Zeller. Jordan favored another player --- which one has not yet been disclosed, though I'm sure it will come out eventually -- but Cho adamantly wanted Zeller. Cho had apparently been advocating hard for Zeller for a week, based on his strong reliance on advanced analytics and the jump shot Zeller showed off in the private workout. Jordan agreed last year to give the last say to Cho on basketball decisions, and kept his word. So if Zeller is a bust, it's on Cho, who is basically staking his entire reputation (and job) on this pick.

Cho probably just played himself if that's the case.

Tell me more about the obvious deals they turned down, IrishSimmons. (Burn! Right? Right?)

You say a trade down was easy, but can't name a single concrete team or a deal that would have given those nebulous "assets" that were allegedly left on the table. Total conjecture, based on media-contructed big boards. According to Wojo and Chad Ford, Phoenix was eyeing Zeller even at 5. Philly is reported to have preferred him to Noel, and only made the trade for Noel after Zeller was taken. No one among Phoenix, NO, Sacramento, Detroit, Minny or Portland was giving Charlotte anything to move up. Simply put, if the Horncats had traded down, they weren't getting their guy. Which makes such a deal dumb, if you know who you want, which they did.

Nothing is more silly that saying "they should've traded down" without acknowledging that no one was trying to trade up to get anyone in a deal that would still have net them Zeller.

Cheers. Have the last word.

Last edited:
Cho probably just played himself if that's the case.

Could be. But I think he stood tall against the bad public opinion tendency to overvalue "potential" and "upside," and undervalue demonstrated basketball skill and ability. Time will tell.

Cheers. Have the last word.

zeller.jpg

Philly just crushed it today. If you're looking to rebuild, that's how you do it. They come out with a ton of talent and are still ensured a decent lotto pick next year.

Agreed. Only downside of their draft is the talent they picked are high upside/possible bust guys.

Either way I think it was a fantastic draft for them

Ugh. Now that this Celtics-Nets trade is gonna happen, on the next BS Report I'll get to hear him and House talk about that shit for 45 minutes instead of recapping the draft.

Next year's draft is so stacked with drool-worthy talent. The thought of Randle matching up against Zeller (hypothetically #4 picks in consecutive years) makes me lol hard.

Brooklyn is gonna look like that hawks team in the early 90s with Reggie theus and nique and Moses malone and doc rivers and Willis. Great team if you could play w 2 balls.

And Jason terry. Ugh.

How many minutes into the first celtics nets game that rondo plays do Garnett and rondo get into it? I think 5 minutes

Oh and fuck Ryan Kelly in his ugly Duke face, but I actually think he could be a good pro. If there was ever a coach for a no-defense, no-rebounding, 3-point shooting stretch four, it's Mike D.

A [Redacted]-coached game may be more watchable than a battle of bottom 5 NBA teams next season. It's gonna be an all-out shitshow.

I'm surprised nobody's hired him to tank for next season.

If he's only going to win 15 games, he may as well do it and get Wiggins.

Did anyone else last night get the sense that teams in the top 5 just don't change their approach to the draft once it starts? I mean, I haven't done enough research to come to any conclusions about who's the better prospect, but watching the Magic take Oladipo, the Wiz take Noel, the Cats take Zeller, the Suns take Len, etc, it looked like those teams convinced themselves that prospect A wasn't going to be available so they needed to take their eventual selection as the best fit for the team.

Also, Battier should never be given a mic again and Simmons is fucking great except when shitty things happen to the Celtics. That was obnoxious.

Back