• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2015 BRACKETOLOGY THREAD !

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thirteen days until the brackets are revealed on the afternoon of Sunday, March 2015. So now's the perfect time to begin discussing who should and should not be in the field of 64, or 68 or whatever.

Right now Lunardi (and I'll refer to Lunardi because no one's smarter than he) has the following bids per conference, with the other conferences getting just one bid. http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Big Ten 7
SEC 6
Big 12 6
Big East 6
ACC 6
American 4
Mountain West 3
Pac-12 3
West Coast 2
Missouri Valley 2
Atlantic 10 2

ACC Teams:

Duke (1)
UVa (1)
Notre Dame (3)
Louisville (5)
UNC-CH (5)
NC State (10)

#1 seeds:
UK - Midwest
Duke - South
UVa - East
Villanova - West

Last 4 In:
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Purdue
BYU

First 4 Out:
Davidson
UCLA
Illinois
Pittsburgh

Discuss. Name calling encouraged.

A couple of other things:

NC currently has four teams in the field: Duke, UNC-CH, NC State, NCCU, with Davidson being a possible fifth team.

From SC, Wofford and Charleston Southern are currently in, while Clemson and USC aren't even close.

Davidson:

Currently tied for first in the Atlantic 10, in their first year in the league. BPI = 31. Tied with Dayton (current 9-seed, BPI 34), who they beat by 17 in January at Davidson; and Rhode Island who they beat at Rhode Island by a point.

VCU (current 6-seed, BPI 23), beat Davidson by 6 in Richmond in January. VCU currently is in 4th in the A-10, one game back.

They have a couple of bad losses in conference to St. Bonaventure and St. Joe's when they weren't at full strength. Lost to UVA at Charlottesville and UNC-CH in Charlotte, both convincingly enough in Nov and Dec, respectively.

Biggest game left on the schedule: VCU at Davidson, March 5, 9:00 on ESPNU.

Last edited:
The 4th #1 seed needs to draw Wisconsin, not Gonzaga, even if that means Wisconsin going out west and Gonzaga going elsewhere. Either that, or Dick needs to draw Wisconsin. If anyone can beat UK, I'm giving UVA and Wisconsin the best opportunities.

And Davidson needs to be in the field. I could see them taking down a big seed on a hot shooting night, which is most nights for them.

Miami plays at Pitt on Wednesday. Loser can start lobbying for an NIT bid.

State plays at Clemson on Tuesday. Same applies, but I don't see any way CU gets an NCAA bid, so they may want to win so they can get an NIT bid.

All four of these teams are 8-8 in conference.

The 4th #1 seed needs to draw Wisconsin, not Gonzaga, even if that means Wisconsin going out west and Gonzaga going elsewhere. Either that, or Dick needs to draw Wisconsin. If anyone can beat UK, I'm giving UVA and Wisconsin the best opportunities.

And Davidson needs to be in the field. I could see them taking down a big seed on a hot shooting night, which is most nights for them.

Seems like Wisconsin has a decent shot at that last #1 seed if Nova falters and/or doesn't win the Big East tourney.

Seems like Wisconsin has a decent shot at that last #1 seed if Nova falters and/or doesn't win the Big East tourney.

No doubt. If Nova can't handle teams like St. John's, Providence, and Butler down the stretch, they shouldn't get a #1 seed. Now, if Wisconsin falters too, that could open the door for Gonzaga, or even Arizona.

Davidson is a fantastic team to watch under McKillGod, hope they get in. Their OOC SOS is turrible which is about the worst resume flaw to have (see SMU last year), but they were missing their best player for their only bad Ls, and they've only lost 6 all year.

If they beat VCU and Duquesne they win the A10 and are the #1 seed in the conf tourney, which I'd hope would be enough to dance

Yeah, that's 1 of the few times I'll root against VCU - they're already in. And while I think Davidson lost here to UVA by double digits, that game was a lot closer than the final score. They gave UVA 1 of the toughest games they've had this year.

Agree that Wisconsin and UVA have the best shot to beat KY (Wisconsin would have beaten KY last year if not for a 3 pointer by one of the Harrison twins in the final seconds last year), but Wisconsin closes the Big 10 season at Ohio State. I think that Wisconsin may lose that game which may knock them further down the 2 line. Would be a tough region if the NCAA seeds KY in the same region as Wisky.

Davidson should get in. They lost their best player Jack Gibbs for 6 games in the middle of the season, but since he has returned, they have won 7 straight. Their own only OOC losses are at UVA and on a neutral court to UNC. They are tied for first in the A-10 (the 8th best conference according to Ken Pom). If they are not in already, would think that if Davidson beat VCU (at Davidson) on Thursday, they are in.

Last edited:
Agree that Wisconsin and UVA have the best shot to beat KY (Wisconsin would have beaten KY last year if not for a 3 pointer by one of the Harrison twins in the final seconds last year), but Wisconsin closes the Big 10 season at Ohio State. I think that Wisconsin may lose that game which may knock them further down the 2 line. Would be a tough region if the NCAA seeds KY in the same region as Wisky.

Davidson should get in. They lost their best player Jack Gibbs for 6 games in the middle of the season, but since he has returned, they have 7 straight. Their own only OOC losses are at UVA and on a neutral court to UNC. They are tied for first in the A-10 (the 8th best conference according to Ken Pom). If they are not in already, would think that if Davidson beat VCU (at Davidson) on Thursday, they are in.

Gibbs is really good, but they have two or three other guards who can drop 20+ on any given night. They were running an eight-man rotation for a long while. Kalinosky is the only senior getting minutes. He and sullivan have both won A-10 Player of the Week awards this season.

Davidson should get in. They lost their best player Jack Gibbs for 6 games in the middle of the season, but since he has returned, they have won 7 straight. Their own only OOC losses are at UVA and on a neutral court to UNC. They are tied for first in the A-10 (the 8th best conference according to Ken Pom). If they are not in already, would think that if Davidson beat VCU (at Davidson) on Thursday, they are in.

Mark Titus had an article the other week after serving on Mock Selection Committee that basically said the committee places teams according to geography, not an S-curve. Therefore the #1 2-seed (a.k.a. the #5 team) goes to the closest region, even if that region is occupied by the #1 1-seed. If that's true Wisconsin would actually be better off further down the 2 line than they would being the #1 2-seed (for purposes of avoiding Kentucky for as long as possible).

Davidson/VCU bubble alert from Belk Arena on ESPNU.

Back