• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

This Vad person seems to think that Georgia fans won't venture inside 285, but I could have sworn there were enough Georgia fans at the SECCG to fill Grant Field. I expect the same Monday night.

There were more Georgia fans than Tech fans in Grant Field when Georgia killed them earlier this year.

I'd take the first job that gets me out of South Bend, IN. What a depressing place

Or, hear me out here, he's a guy who just got offered a lot of money to do his job.

Not many people here would turn down that kind of money to do their job.

Yeah, if it was significantly higher. And it's sort of what I said about the life of an asst. coach. Nevertheless, one year with a program seems patently short at first blush.

And further enhance the chance teams from the same conference meet in the final ?

Exactly. If the goal is to avoid teams from the same conference in the Final, just go with a 6 or 7 team playoff with all P5 champs and 1 or 2 G5 champs + Independents.

Exactly. If the goal is to avoid teams from the same conference in the Final, just go with a 6 or 7 team playoff with all P5 champs and 1 or 2 G5 champs + Independents.

I thought the idea was to have the best teams compete for the championship, not the PAC12 champ and Memphis.

I thought the idea was to have the best teams compete for the championship, not the PAC12 champ and Memphis.

What better way to do that then have conference champions settle it on the field?

Based on the rep I got - John Lewis is a piece of shit and the same as Trump?

GTFO with that nonsense. He's a living legend, dude put his life and body on line to stick up for what was right - not once, not twice, but many, many times.

blew my mind last weekend to learn that Will Muschamp and Kirby Smart are different people.

What better way to do that then have conference champions settle it on the field?

Posted before but "conference champions" is kinda tricky in CFB. Teams don't play round-robin schedules, so if two teams are 7-1 in their division the tiebreaker could go to the team that won their H2H matchup on their home field (yet has a loss to an inferior opponent). Who knows what happens if the two teams had played at the other team's venue, or a neutral site.

And beyond that, only going with conference champions renders non-conference play more or less meaningless, besides seeding (yawn). The flexibility to look beyond conference champions is a good thing

Posted before but "conference champions" is kinda tricky in CFB. Teams don't play round-robin schedules, so if two teams are 7-1 in their division the tiebreaker could go to the team that won their H2H matchup on their home field (yet has a loss to an inferior opponent). Who knows what happens if the two teams had played at the other team's venue, or a neutral site.

And beyond that, only going with conference champions renders non-conference play more or less meaningless, besides seeding (yawn). The flexibility to look beyond conference champions is a good thing

Yeah, I think the auto bids for conference champion presents issues. But with an 8 team playoff, most (all?) conference champions would be included from P5, at least this year and I think most years. If a conference champ isn't in top 8, they probably don't deserve to be in the playoff. Ohio State certainly would have been in this year. and USC finished in the rankings at 8. I do like including one spot for the top Non P5 school. UCF's inclusion this year wouldn't have bothered anyone. But some years that could be a 21 ranked Boise State, for example, which isn't ideal.

the 4 playoff teams this year, plus Auburn or Wisconsin, USC, Ohio State and UCF would be fun.

Is college football the only D1 sport where you can finish the year, never losing, and not win a national championship?

If two teams are 7-1 in the division and the tiebreaker went to the team that won the H2H, that's a defacto playoff game. That's fine.

If non-conference play is "meaningless," teams will schedule tougher non-con games.

The current system renders regular season games and conference championships less important than they would be under a champs only system.

Biff, a 64 team college football tournament would be great, but it's impractical. Not enough time. College basketball can have a bigger tournament because teams can play twice in a weekend.

If two teams are 7-1 in the division and the tiebreaker went to the team that won the H2H, that's a defacto playoff game. That's fine.

If non-conference play is "meaningless," teams will schedule tougher non-con games.

The current system renders regular season games and conference championships less important than they would be under a champs only system.

Biff, a 64 team college football tournament would be great, but it's impractical. Not enough time. College basketball can have a bigger tournament because teams can play twice in a weekend.

But they don't deserve it because they didn't win the conference. It's not like having a basketball tournament with only conference champions is something that no one ever thought of.

ETA: Taking 20 at large teams out of the NCAA men's tournament would do nothing to diminish the quality of the competition.

Last edited:
I just don't understand how people are upset that Alabama got into the playoff and is playing for the national championship, but they want to fix it by creating a system where Wisconsin gets into an 8-team playoff. Wisconsin sucks. Fuck Wisconsin.

As someone who is basically Silky Johnson with every other team but Wake, I just selfishly want a system that gives us a chance if we ever win the ACC again.

Back