• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

Yeah, I think the auto bids for conference champion presents issues. But with an 8 team playoff, most (all?) conference champions would be included from P5, at least this year and I think most years. If a conference champ isn't in top 8, they probably don't deserve to be in the playoff. Ohio State certainly would have been in this year. and USC finished in the rankings at 8. I do like including one spot for the top Non P5 school. UCF's inclusion this year wouldn't have bothered anyone. But some years that could be a 21 ranked Boise State, for example, which isn't ideal.

the 4 playoff teams this year, plus Auburn or Wisconsin, USC, Ohio State and UCF would be fun.

Is college football the only D1 sport where you can finish the year, never losing, and not win a national championship?

That's pretty much a false distinction. Many top teams in college football end the season with a win. Not possible in baseball or basketball. The bowl system is unique and is a good thing.

But they don't deserve it because they didn't win the conference. It's not like having a basketball tournament with only conference champions is something that no one ever thought of.

ETA: Taking 20 at large teams out of the NCAA men's tournament would do nothing to diminish the quality of the competition.

The current system is like playing the Elite Eight and then picking the top 4 teams in the AP poll even if they got upset in the Sweet 16. Let the conference champion games be part of the playoff.

Lamar Jackson declares.

I think Louisville may take a big step backwards next year. Without Jackson I don't think they were even a bowl team this year and I can't imagine all the slime that's gone on at the Ville has helped recruiting. I say next year, when Clawson and Petrino meet at midfield before the game, Clawson hands Bobby our playbook and we still kick their ass.

Jackson has single handedly propped up Louisville.

The #2 spot in the division is wide open next year.

Kirby, sadly, is a much, much, much better coach than Muschamp

Both are excellent Defensive coordinators but:

Kirby inherited stacked roster from previous regime and also enjoys recruiting advantage any team would kill for in that it gets the majority of its roster from inside a massive football first state. Its only in state competition is Ga Tech if you call that competition. UGA is also a massive school with a ton of resources.

Muschamp walks in to clean up Spurrier mess and has to recruit vs Clemson for in state talent. Muschamp failed in first job at Florida but appears to have SC headed in correct direction and no one will outwork this guy. Doubtful they can overcome UGA in east, but time will tell.

Jesus, Biff is a meathead. I mean, we know this, it's just jarring sometimes to see it in action.

Jesus, Biff is a meathead. I mean, we know this, it's just jarring sometimes to see it in action.

Some posters get real dumb about their real favorite college teams.

I just don't understand how people are upset that Alabama got into the playoff and is playing for the national championship, but they want to fix it by creating a system where Wisconsin gets into an 8-team playoff. Wisconsin sucks. Fuck Wisconsin.

It‘s not necessesarily that Alabama got into the playoff. It‘s that two SEC teams got into the playoff. There are a lot of SEC haters here.

It‘s not necessesarily that Alabama got into the playoff. It‘s that two SEC teams got into the playoff. There are a lot of SEC haters here.

No problem at all with either Bama or Georgia getting in (especially over Ohio State) -- just makes for a boring championship game matchup I don't care to watch and obviously an 8 team playoff would be better (even if it ends up with two SEC teams in the championship game that I still wouldn't care to watch).

vandam1.gif

Some posters get real dumb about their real favorite college teams.

LOL. You're the one thinks Hinton is some sort of Heisman candidate.

No problem at all with either Bama or Georgia getting in (especially over Ohio State) -- just makes for a boring championship game matchup I don't care to watch and obviously an 8 team playoff would be better (even if it ends up with two SEC teams in the championship game that I still wouldn't care to watch).

Why are you predicting this game will be boring ?

Really though, I hope the Dawgs win 30-0 and it's boring as hell. Otherwise I'm going to be shitting my pants in that new dome.

I'm not. I'm saying the matchup is boring.

Okay. Help me understand why. Is it because one of the teams aren't separated by 1,500 miles ? Have you ever watched a conference game between two highly ranked opponents that wasn't in your conference of primary interest ? Do you prefer games between teams that aren't likely to be evenly matched ?

Okay. Help me understand why. Is it because one of the teams aren't separated by 1,500 miles ? Have you ever watched a conference game between two highly ranked opponents that wasn't in your conference of primary interest ? Do you prefer games between teams that aren't likely to be evenly matched ?

No. Yes. No. It's the National Championship. I would prefer the teams were from different conferences. Another SEC championship game as a National Championship game is just less interesting to me.

No. Yes. No. It's the National Championship. I would prefer the teams were from different conferences. Another SEC championship game as a National Championship game is just less interesting to me.

Well the SEC already banished the two other best teams and Ohio State got blown out by one of them and Iowa. This is the best matchup !

Back