• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

Well said.

I wonder how much credit the committee ended up giving Bama for the FSU win? I mean it didn't end up being a "good" win the way things finished up, but I wonder how the committee viewed it? What I'm getting that is did the committee view it as a win over a top 3 team, which FSU was at the time, or a win over a 6-6 barely bowl eligible team. If Bama had opened up with a win over a decent P5 team like Kansas State or Oregon for instance, would the committee given them more credit for that or less credit? I've got to feel like at least in the committee's mind, they gave Bama more credit for the FSU win then the final rankings did.

Absolutely, not perfect, but better than what we had. I saw somebody on the 4 letter saying the BCS system would've worked well this year because it would've been Clemson and Oklahoma? In that scenario UGa would've been left out and they have a very strong case IMO. Both Clemson and Oklahoma have worse losses (teams they lost to, not the score) than UGa's loss to Auburn which they avenged.

I saw a segment on ESPN where they tried to recreate the BCS standings (impossible since at least two of the polls are now defunct, and some people may have voted different in the human poll if the BCS was still around). In their best possible recreation, UGA was in and OK was out. Bama was 4th and tOSU was 5th.

I saw a segment on ESPN where they tried to recreate the BCS standings (impossible since at least two of the polls are now defunct, and some people may have voted different in the human poll if the BCS was still around). In their best possible recreation, UGA was in and OK was out. Bama was 4th and tOSU was 5th.

Really. I think the guy I saw was just assuming for some reason, the BCS system would've spit out Clemson vs. Oklahoma?

Good wins should trump bad losses IMO, if for no other reason than to encourage teams to schedule tougher.

So Ohio State scheduled Oklahoma and got pummeled and played Iowa in conference and got pummeled.

I mean, do you really thank Alabama would get destroyed by Iowa anywhere in this solar system ?

I think if OSU plays @Iowa 100 times, they win 95 of them, and only 1 results in the blowout that occurred. Probably about the same for Bama. Ohio St was coming off a huge 4th quarter comeback against the #2 team and pretty much every single thing that went wrong, did. Bama's schedule was such trash we never got to see how they'd fare in a letdown game.

I think if the OSU that played against MSU and second half of PSU shows up, they throttle Bama. Mediocre/bad OSU vs. end of the year Bama is probably a tight game going either way.

Well, i think you're wrong, but that's the problem with tOSU -- you don't know which team is goin gto show up. And The rest of the B1G is such hot garbage that you can't put much stock in the rest of their schedule either, including the "big" wins.

Well, i think you're wrong, but that's the problem with tOSU -- you don't know which team is goin gto show up. And The rest of the B1G is such hot garbage that you can't put much stock in the rest of their schedule either, including the "big" wins.

An SEC fan calling the BIG "hot garbage" defines hypocrisy. Half the programs in the SEC are in complete disarray. Ole Miss, with it's bible thumping former coach addicted to sex talk lines, is actually one of the more stable football programs in that sad league right now.

They're both pathetic in their own ways.

The second best team in the B0G West lost to Duke by 24 points

They're both pathetic in their own ways.

The second best team in the B0G West lost to Duke by 24 points

Right, and the 2nd or 3rd best team in the SEC West lost to Troy at home on homecoming. And the SEC East, outside of UGA, is probably, yet again, the worst division in the P5.

Right, and the 2nd or 3rd best team in the SEC West lost to Troy at home on homecoming. And the SEC East, outside of UGA, is probably, yet again, the worst division in the P5.

Sorry. B1G west includes Illinois.

ok, so predictions for the CFP?

OU vs. Georgia in the Rose Bowl
OU has a piss poor defense but a great offense with the perfect guy behind center. UGA won't be able to stop it, but maybe slow it down with ball control and a couple turnovers. OU will give up long plays, but UGA not built to come from behind if that happens. OU by a 4-10 points in this one, 38-31 type of game. Looked like Anderson was in some girl trouble yesterday, which would affect their offense somewhat, but looks like the accuser was FOS and he will play. Will know more in a week.

Clemson vs. Alabama in the Sugar Bowl
Clemson peaking right now, and starting to hum on offense too. Bama looked solid all year against nobody really, then lost their rivalry game. Tough to get a read on them. I'll go with Clemson based on what have you done for me lately. 31-24.

Oklahoma wins a shootout.
Clemson wins by 2 TDs. 27-13 but not really in doubt.

Clemson beats OU handily, 42-28.

I’m just hoping both SEC teams lose in the semis. Sec wasn’t the best conference this year and the only way we reduce the narrative is to have them lose.

I’m just hoping both SEC teams lose in the semis. Sec wasn’t the best conference this year and the only way we reduce the narrative is to have them lose.

SEC has replaced ten coaches the last two seasons and went 6-7 in bowl games last season. Mullen was hired away by Florida, so it's really nine. ACC replaced five, going 9-3 in bowl games last season. Jimbo was hired away by TAMU, so it's really four.

Nonetheless, if the "experts" haven't realized the fact that the SEC is down by now, which they haven't because two SEC teams are in the playoff, I don't think the story for the SEC is a negative one if those two games are lost. There's going to be the "but they got two teams in the playoff" argument in its favor regardless. A lot depends on performance in bowl games this time around, but even that may not make much of a difference.

ACC is 4-5 against the SEC this season and 8-9 against the P5. SEC is 6-9 against the P5. Only meaningful games I recall between the ACC and SEC were Clemson's wins over Auburn and SoCar and State's loss to SoCar. Maybe UL's win over UK belongs in there, but considering FSU's season, its loss to Alabama does not.

Seems like the SEC is annually given the top spot simply because of the greater # of players it puts into the NFL every year. That's obviously very impressive, but not determinative of the best conference imo.

Back