• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

Good post. Much of the SEC success is a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think the ACC has surpassed the SEC in NFL players. I'm pretty sure the ACC has had more 1st round picks for a few years.

Good post. Much of the SEC success is a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think the ACC has surpassed the SEC in NFL players. I'm pretty sure the ACC has had more 1st round picks for a few years.

yeah and Miami had a lot of those, but until this year no one would have called them a good team for years (over a decade?).

SEC has replaced ten coaches the last two seasons and went 6-7 in bowl games last season. Mullen was hired away by Florida, so it's really nine. ACC replaced five, going 9-3 in bowl games last season. Jimbo was hired away by TAMU, so it's really four.

Nonetheless, if the "experts" haven't realized the fact that the SEC is down by now, which they haven't because two SEC teams are in the playoff, I don't think the story for the SEC is a negative one if those two games are lost. There's going to be the "but they got two teams in the playoff" argument in its favor regardless. A lot depends on performance in bowl games this time around, but even that may not make much of a difference.

ACC is 4-5 against the SEC this season and 8-9 against the P5. SEC is 6-9 against the P5. Only meaningful games I recall between the ACC and SEC were Clemson's wins over Auburn and SoCar and State's loss to SoCar. Maybe UL's win over UK belongs in there, but considering FSU's season, its loss to Alabama does not.

Seems like the SEC is annually given the top spot simply because of the greater # of players it puts into the NFL every year. That's obviously very impressive, but not determinative of the best conference imo.

Georgia and Tennessee both beat Ga Tech, but that must not fit your narrative. Ga Tech isn't going to a bowl this year because their OOC opponents beat them and they couldn't clean up against the ACC to get bowl eligible. Not sure why you think FSU's loss to Alabama is meaningless. I think the committee placed weight on it since FSU was preseason #3 and Alabama made the playoff. Maybe you don't give FSU any credit because they're similar to an SEC school.

Georgia and Tennessee both beat Ga Tech, but that must not fit your narrative. Ga Tech isn't going to a bowl this year because their OOC opponents beat them and they couldn't clean up against the ACC to get bowl eligible. Not sure why you think FSU's loss to Alabama is meaningless. I think the committee placed weight on it since FSU was preseason #3 and Alabama made the playoff. Maybe you don't give FSU any credit because they're similar to an SEC school.

I know the results of the games, I just included results between teams that ended up being good, i.e., results of meaningful games. I didn't include FSU beating Florida even though it helped keep FSU's bowl eligibility alive because it wasn't a game between two good teams. I think Alabama benefited more from the name on the front of its jersey a hell of a lot more than beating FSU.

And I think Clemson is the most similar to an SEC school in the ACC and I gave Clemson the credit they deserve. They won all the big games and would likely be undefeated if Bryant didn't get hurt in the second quarter against Syracuse.

If Army wins their bowl game they'll finish 10-3; strength pf schedule aside, hopefully that would get them a top 25 ranking. Wonder when the last time they finished as a ranked team?

If Army wins their bowl game they'll finish 10-3; strength pf schedule aside, hopefully that would get them a top 25 ranking. Wonder when the last time they finished as a ranked team?

Hope they win. Will be routing for them.
Don't know when the last time they finished ranked......but bet it was before any of the current team was born.

SEC has replaced ten coaches the last two seasons and went 6-7 in bowl games last season. Mullen was hired away by Florida, so it's really nine. ACC replaced five, going 9-3 in bowl games last season. Jimbo was hired away by TAMU, so it's really four.

Nonetheless, if the "experts" haven't realized the fact that the SEC is down by now, which they haven't because two SEC teams are in the playoff, I don't think the story for the SEC is a negative one if those two games are lost. There's going to be the "but they got two teams in the playoff" argument in its favor regardless. A lot depends on performance in bowl games this time around, but even that may not make much of a difference.

ACC is 4-5 against the SEC this season and 8-9 against the P5. SEC is 6-9 against the P5. Only meaningful games I recall between the ACC and SEC were Clemson's wins over Auburn and SoCar and State's loss to SoCar. Maybe UL's win over UK belongs in there, but considering FSU's season, its loss to Alabama does not.

Seems like the SEC is annually given the top spot simply because of the greater # of players it puts into the NFL every year. That's obviously very impressive, but not determinative of the best conference imo.

Sorry Biggus but incorrect numbers for 2017--ACC was weaker in 2017 where we were easily #1 in 2016. The ACC was 9-13 vs Power 5 this year & the SEC was 8-9. Final numbers of course will come out of the wash after all the bowl games and playoffs. Records per 24/7 Sports:

Top 25 Teams in Final Ranking

ACC: 4
Big 12: 3
Big Ten: 5
Pac-12: 4
SEC: 5

Number of Teams With Winning Records

ACC: 7 (50%)
Big 12: 6 (60%)
Big Ten: 7 (50%)
Pac-12: 7 (58.3%)
SEC: 9 (64.3%)

Non-Conference Record vs. FBS Teams

ACC: 26-15 (63.4%)
Big 12: 19-10 (65.5%)
Big Ten: 25-8 (75.8%)
Pac-12: 19-8 (70.4 %)
SEC: 32-10 (76.2%)

Non-Conference Record vs. Power Five Teams

ACC: 9-13 (40.9%)
Big 12: 4-7 (36.4%)
Big Ten: 6-5 (54.5%)
Pac-12: 7-3 (70%)
SEC: 7-8 (46.7%)

2017 NFL draft picks by conference
Conference : SEC Picks : 53 Picks per school : 3.79
Conference : ACC Picks : 43 Picks per school : 3.07

And you would easily be wrong Ph in your own self-fulfilling prophecy that ACC football has passed the SEC as here are the real numbers as of Sept 2017: "The SEC has more than 350 players currently in the NFL, with the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 topping 250 each. The Big 12 has nearly 150 alumni in the league, while the AAC tops 100 players"

So it is not even close. Over 100 more SEC players in the NFL from the SEC on opening day--358 vs 250 in each of the ACC & Big Ten. https://herosports.com/college-football/nfl-roster-breakdown-sec-dominates-fbs-conferences-nfl-byby

So much wrong in one post.

First, that's not a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's not even a prophecy.

The self-fulfilling prophecy I mentioned was that the SEC is highly regarded based on polls which are the result of people highly regarding the SEC before a game has been played.

Second, your stat is not the same as mine.

Third, your stat barely applies to the argument.

First round picks are a small subset of total NFL players. They're likely ones who had the best college careers. For that reason, number of 1st round picks by conference is a good indicator of conference strength.

Also we are talking about the ACC passing the SEC recently. Players who entered the league 10+ years ago hardly address the recent success of the ACC and SEC.

The SEC led in a major way in the first round of the 2017 draft, so I was definitely wrong for this year.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...rnette-lsu-alabama/166hddsx5so3k1kokg2t6eao88

Last edited:
Sorry Biggus but incorrect numbers for 2017--ACC was weaker in 2017 where we were easily #1 in 2016. The ACC was 9-13 vs Power 5 this year & the SEC was 8-9...

I regret to inform you that my #s are correct Reff. I'm talking about Power 5 conference teams, i.e., teams in Power 5 conferences, not Independents like ND or BYU. Take the ACC's record of 1-4 out against ND and you get 8-9. Take out SEC record of 2-0 against BYU and 1-0 against ND and you get 6-9 against Power 5 conferences, not 5-9, your #s are off there. I mean, you're # from 247 on SEC vs P5 is 7-8, which is also wrong, not sure how closely you read the article, but at least you got the correct # of losses right.

Say what you want about ND, but it played 5 games against the ACC, 2 at home, and the next closest was 2 games against the PAC 12, 1 home, 1 away. If ND is going to be considered for a list like this, they're closer to being in the ACC than not.

Nonetheless, glad you can copy and paste an article. Dig a little deeper next time.

Last edited:
NC State and Georgia Tech also both significantly outplayed South Carolina and Tennessee respectively as well, but luck was not on their side.

Nine ACC teams in the Sagarin top 41. Only five SEC ones

The only stat that matters over time. The money.
ACC top 25 TV markets 10
SEC 6

The ACC is poised to dominate and already do in basketball. Throw in Notre Dame and the domination is worse for the SEC.

Back