• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

Only two teams have qualified for the BCS playoff without a win over a team ranked in the final 15.

Bama twice.

Be honest. If Francois hadn't gotten hurt in the 4th quarter vs Bama, they'd be in the top 15.

I don't think that at all. If he hadn't got hurt vs. BAMA, he would have got hurt vs. NCST or WF DL the following two weeks with our crappy OL. Not to mention our Defense was attrocious and our HC was working on contracts instead of gameplans. I wish this deal with Taggart would hurry up and get finalized but realize it's probably the dial-up modem in the Moore center hasn't received the 2mb pdf contract yet. #nofunding #badfacilities

Meanwhile 0 teams have made it with more than a 14-point loss.

The only one to make it with a loss even that big? Ohio State.

Kinda hard to take critiques from Ohio State fans seriously when they've benefited from the committee's generosity twice. ♩Two out of three ain't bad♩

Last edited:
I don't like OSU or Bama, but chosing between the 2 evils I think Bama is the 4th best team and should've gotten in. I just don't think you can have 2 losses and one of them be by 31 points to an unranked team and get in. Clemson had a bad loss, but it was their only loss, Oklahoma the same, but Georgia and Bama had the best single losses being to Auburn on the road. Honestly I'd be fine if the rules called for the 4 best Power 5 conference champions, but if the intent is the 4 best teams, then I think they got it as right as they could.

Kinda hard to take critiques from Ohio State fans seriously when they've benefited from the committee's generosity twice. ♩Two out of three ain't bad♩

Generosity? The 2014 team, especially in retrospect, was a no brainer. As for last year's team that got exposed, has there ever been another team with 4 regular season wins over top 10 CFP teams? I can't find one, and certainly not one that was left out.

At least those OSU teams had good resumes and won some big games. Again, there has not been, and will never be a team with a worse resume than this year's Bama team get in the playoff. Ohio State should have just scheduled Mercer instead of Oklahoma, and they'd be in despite a 31 point loss.

UGA almost to Auburn by 23.

Generosity? The 2014 team, especially in retrospect, was a no brainer. As for last year's team that got exposed, has there ever been another team with 4 regular season wins over top 10 CFP teams? I can't find one, and certainly not one that was left out.

At least those OSU teams had good resumes and won some big games. Again, there has not been, and will never be a team with a worse resume than this year's Bama team get in the playoff. Ohio State should have just scheduled Mercer instead of Oklahoma, and they'd be in despite a 31 point loss.

In fairness to Bama, they scheduled FSU when FSU looked like a title contender this year, so it's not like they scheduled all OOC patsies. If Mayfield goes down in the first game, maybe Oklahoma has a crappy season.

Good catch Shorty. That was going into this year, but you are correct.

Generosity? The 2014 team, especially in retrospect, was a no brainer.

Decisions aren't made in retrospect. Ohio State had by far the worst loss and did not have many good wins in what was a down (well, more down than usual) year for the Big Ten.

And I don't think scheduling Mercer instead of OU would be enough. A non-conference schedule of Mercer, Army and UNLV would be held against them, as would that joke of a performance in Iowa City

Last edited:
Good catch Shorty. That was going into this year, but you are correct.

Decisions aren't made in retrospect. Ohio State had by far the worst loss and did not have many good wins in what was a down (well, more down than usual) year for the Big Ten.

And I don't think scheduling Mercer instead of OU would be enough. A non-conference schedule of Mercer, Army and UNLV would be held against them, as would that joke of a performance in Iowa City

Really hard to claim on the one hand that tOSU "did not have many good wins", while trying to back Bama's case. From the final playoff rankings, tOSU beat #6, #9 and #16 (by 45!; if you are going to hold a loss by a big margin against a team; got to credit them with a decisive win); Bama beat #17 and #24.

Headline is pretty funny: Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson lead trio of finalists

I guess Bryce Love is just moping along behind the QB's leadership

Reminds me of a Yogi Bera quote "Ok you guys, pair up in threes"

Really hard to claim on the one hand that tOSU "did not have many good wins", while trying to back Bama's case. From the final playoff rankings, tOSU beat #6, #9 and #16 (by 45!; if you are going to hold a loss by a big margin against a team; got to credit them with a decisive win); Bama beat #17 and #24.

I was talking about 2014, not 2017. Ohio State just makes a habit out of having the worst loss

Last edited:

I guess it really depends on how much you weigh losses over wins. If that had been OSU's only blemish I think they'd be in for sure. I think the number of losses is a big deal too. Heck Auburn beat the number 1 team 2 weeks in a row and lost to what 2 top 5 teams (Clemson and UGA) and LSU (top 20), so they probably had better wins then anybody and no bad losses really, but no way they get in with 3 losses. OSU certainly has an argument with some merits, but that Iowa loss was just a really bad one to overcome.

I think this is the kind of stuff that will lead to an 8 team playoff. Sure, they still be lots of controversy over who gets in, but usually in football I think once you get past the top 5 or 6 teams, the odds of somebody outside of that winning the whole thing is slim. So at least at that point, you're arguing about who's #8 and probably doesn't have much of a shot, as opposed to arguing who is #4, who has a very good shot. It's kind of like March Madness. Sure you're arguing about who is 67 or 68, but odds are whoever you put in there at that point has no shot at winning it anyway.

Last edited:
Pause for a minute to be glad we have a 4 team playoff. The debate is now between 4 and 5. However that debate comes out, both of those teams had things they could've done to make sure they weren't left out (make your CCG, don't lose by 31). In the BCS days, we'd be debating between 2 and 3 among the 1-loss champs from the ACC, SEC, and Big 12. The playoff isn't perfect, but at least it's Bama and OSU having to make their case rather than Clemson, OU and UGA.

Would've been a helluva debate between Clemson, Georgia and Oklahoma under the old system. That is for sure.

Glad they all get the chance to play for a championship. They deserve it. Not sure anyone else does, but even numbers and whatnot

Pause for a minute to be glad we have a 4 team playoff. The debate is now between 4 and 5. However that debate comes out, both of those teams had things they could've done to make sure they weren't left out (make your CCG, don't lose by 31). In the BCS days, we'd be debating between 2 and 3 among the 1-loss champs from the ACC, SEC, and Big 12. The playoff isn't perfect, but at least it's Bama and OSU having to make their case rather than Clemson, OU and UGA.

Absolutely, not perfect, but better than what we had. I saw somebody on the 4 letter saying the BCS system would've worked well this year because it would've been Clemson and Oklahoma? In that scenario UGa would've been left out and they have a very strong case IMO. Both Clemson and Oklahoma have worse losses (teams they lost to, not the score) than UGa's loss to Auburn which they avenged.

Good wins should trump bad losses IMO, if for no other reason than to encourage teams to schedule tougher.

Back