• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Would like to hear Ayo and only Ayo weigh in on the East going forward. Especially:

Cs - ?
Toronto w/ Kawhi
Toronto w/out Kawhi
Sixers - I already know, frauds.
Bucks - I already know, paper tigers.
Pretty hard to know until free agency is over. If Kawhi stays in Toronto, you'd have to make them the favorites unless a super super team like KD, AD, and Kyrie happens.

I think the East is pretty wide open. Giannis is good but as these playoffs showed, he needs to develop a jump shot if the Bucks are gonna go all the way. Will he get there? Maybe but it may take another 3-4 years. Sixers, well, I certainly don't believe in Ben Simmons, which is well-documented on here, but they took the Raptors to a Game 7 nail-biter, so that has to count for something. My Celtics, well, I'm pretty down on them. They smell like a 4 or 5 seed for next 2-3 years. If Tatum develops into a #1 on a #contender (and that's a pretty big if for me), it isn't gonna be for at least another 4-5 years. And they're tied up with the Hayward and Horford contracts. Guess Kyrie could up end up staying and they deal for AD, but I don't see it. Hard to predict things that far out with all the player movement these days.

TL;DR: I'm not overly in love with anyone, unless Kawhi stays in Toronto. There.

Last edited:
it was as good as the spurs could have done

Exactly. For all his flaws, DeRozan was by far the best player on the table. The Sixers and Celtics weren’t willing to give up their core players, just role players and assets.

The line has moved from Toronto -3.5 to Warriors -1. That's massive..

Yeah, massive, like the chunks of rotten food between your teeth.

it was as good as the spurs could have done

I don't (necessarily) disagree with this, but it doesn't mean that the "won" the trade... If such a thing is even possible.

My point in reviewing the initial board reaction to the trade was that it turned out much better for Toronto than most expected.

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors up 3-1; KD returns

The trade worked out as well as it could have for both teams given the circumstances. And that’s before we see if Kawhi stays and what the Spurs get with the #29 pick.

Dubs started hot and it fell apart after they went to the bench.

I wonder which team feels more pressure tonight...

The Raptors have looked very "business-like" all series... But you have to think that if they don't win tonight, it's probably going to Game 7 and then ALL of the pressure will be on them to not blow a 3-1 lead. Especially if KD looks healthy.

GSW is obviously in a win or go home scenario, which is huge motivation, but KD coming back means an adjustment to style of play... Wonder if they play tight given this could be their last game with this roster. Clearly, they have way more NBA Finals experience... So maybe none of that figures into their mindset.

As someone who really dislikes GSW, I hope they lose tonight.

Then we can get to the fun part of the season... Draft and Free Agency! A fun couple of months before I retreat back into my hole until the 2020 playoffs commence.

Both teams look pretty tight.

I don't (necessarily) disagree with this, but it doesn't mean that the "won" the trade... If such a thing is even possible.

My point in reviewing the initial board reaction to the trade was that it turned out much better for Toronto than most expected.

Wait till DeRozan is Finals MVP next year.

The advanced stats must say wildly flailing at Steph during his shooting motion is a plus defensive move.

Back