• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

From after the Kawhi trade in mid-July last year in the 2018 NBA Offseason Thread... Posted purely to make me look good and make others look bad. Fills an emptiness in my soul.

You 100% absolutely make this trade if you are Toronto. They now have a legit shot to make the Finals next year and they don’t have to pay DeRozan for 3 more years. At worst, it’s a 1-year rental that still puts them in a better position after next year, even if(when) Leonard leaves.

For the Spurs, you are putting all of your eggs in the DeRozan basket... If he sucks (continues to decline), you are a worse team for the foreseeable future. I don’t think they need to tank or blow anything up, but it feels like years of mediocrity are ahead.

Huh? Hard to make the finals when Kawhi won't ever even suit up for them.

I think he will... He'd be really dumb not to.

And they were the #1 seed in the East last year. Leonard is better than DeRozan in pretty much every part of his game. No LeBron in the East. Why couldn't they make the Finals? I realize Boston is good, too... But we still haven't seen that roster play together much (at all).

i sorta like that folks are just assuming toronto gets to the finals with kawhi playing

like hey homies, remember how a couple of months ago we were all hedging on his totally unknown possible debilitating injury, which still hasn't been cleared up at all, and his will to play the game of basketball, which should skyrocket, as the guy who spent the last decade of his life living in san diego and san antonio and was trying to orchestrate a move to los angeles is instead forced to move to *checks notes* toronto

never mind the fact that their top rivals are a team that is about to run out 3 all-nba caliber players and a guy coming off one of the best rookie campaigns in the history of the sport

like, a two deep of:

kyrie//rozier
brown//smart
hayward//ojeleye (but really, smart again)
tatum//morris
horford//baynes

assuming health (a big caveat, i am aware), that's just not a fair roster to be betting against right now. y'all gonna look silly in 10 months

That last line is my favorite.

Celts are going to roll next year and not going to even be close. They were so close to being Eastern Champs this year and they had 2 All Stars sitting on the bench in street clothes?? 2 All Stars folks! Even without Kyrie and Gordon it was clear the Celts had the requisite 3 studs to take them to the finals with Horford, Tatum, and Brown. Add to the fact Tatum and Brown are still growing and will continue to get better and that the back-ups for the Celts would be likely starters on a number of teams and I think it will be a stroll through the park IF they can stay relatively healthy. Heck they could still lose one key player and I still think they roll, but losing 2 of the caliber of Kyrie and Gordon was too much this past season. No Lebron and it won't be close.

Granted the Raptors will likely rack up the wins and build up some excitement, but when it comes playoff time they will be rolled. And not buying the Sixers excitement. They will be at the top, but again not a threat unless Fultz shows he is truly a #1.

I don't feel like anyone is doing that.

I think most feel like it is a forgone conclusion that Boston will rule the East for the next few years... With the 76ers the only team with a real shot to compete.

I just think it is early to say that given we haven't seen Irving, Hayward, Horford, Tatum & others all on the court at the same time yet. In theory, it should be great.

With Toronto, I just think people forget they were the #1 seed because of how terrible they looked against the Cavs... If healthy (BIG IF), the Leonard makes them better (if only because DeRozan won't be around to shit the bed in the playoffs).

I have no dog in the fight... Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

To add to my point... Odds to win the East next year as of right this second:
Boston -120
Philly +340
Toronto +550
Milwaukee +1500

I think Boston wins the East, but I'd take Toronto with those odds.

And I did!

I'd take boston with those odds and not think twice.

RedSox whole argument was based on Boston staying healthy and having good chemistry and Kawhi not being healthy and causing bad chemistry.

Even if Kawhi leaves, Toronto is in good shape to stay in contention in the East.

Would like to hear Ayo and only Ayo weigh in on the East going forward. Especially:

Cs - ?
Toronto w/ Kawhi
Toronto w/out Kawhi
Sixers - I already know, frauds.
Bucks - I already know, paper tigers.

RedSox whole argument was based on Boston staying healthy and having good chemistry and Kawhi not being healthy and causing bad chemistry.

Even if Kawhi leaves, Toronto is in good shape to stay in contention in the East.

What is your point? Any prediction is based on all available information at the time. He was parroting the consensus at that time, which ended up being wrong.

My point was that people were assuming Boston would just be better w/ Hayward and Kyrie, yet we had zero evidence of them playing together.

Kawhi was a mystery, but that was the value in the wager... The #1 seed improved, yet you were still getting +550.

FWIW, I was looking back at a number of topics on that entertaining thread and your take on the Spurs was much better than mine. I didn't see 47 wins. You said 47+ and they got 48.

What is your point? Any prediction is based on all available information at the time. He was parroting the consensus at that time, which ended up being wrong.

My point was that people were assuming Boston would just be better w/ Hayward and Kyrie, yet we had zero evidence of them playing together.

Kawhi was a mystery, but that was the value in the wager... The #1 seed improved, yet you were still getting +550.

FWIW, I was looking back at a number of topics on that entertaining thread and your take on the Spurs was much better than mine. I didn't see 47 wins. You said 47+ and they got 48.

Not sure what you mean in that Kawhi was a mystery as you knew you were getting one of the top defenders in the league as well as a top offensive player and would be a clear upgrade over Derozan. That still wasn't enough for me to think the Raptors to get over the proverbial hump as hard to be a 2 man superstar team to get to the promised land.

To me the bigger story for the Raptors hasn't been so much Kawhi but Siakim becoming a legit top NBA player that gives the Raptors 3 studs. I had never heard of Siakim before the playoffs and he is just an incredible talent that went from 7 points/4 rebounds to 17/7. That is a massive jump and probably an interesting discussion was the jump because of Kawhi who opened up the floor for the big fella or just seasoning/experience as he came into his 3rd year??

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors up 3-1

The Raptors have three players with 3+ All-Star appearances. Gasol was an All-Star in 2017, not that long ago.

Ibaka was 1st team All defense 3 times and he’s coming off the bench.

Add the likely Most Improved Player and you’ve got a strong team.

Last edited:
Would like to hear Ayo and only Ayo weigh in on the East going forward. Especially:

Cs - ?
Toronto w/ Kawhi
Toronto w/out Kawhi
Sixers - I already know, frauds.
Bucks - I already know, paper tigers.

it will be some combinations of "meh" and "lol"

The Raptors have three players with 3+ All-Star appearances. Gasol was an All-Star in 2017, not that long ago.

Ibaka was 1st team All defense 3 times and he’s coming off the bench.

Add the likely Most Improved Player and you’ve got a strong team.

You can add Gasol as another variable that folks didn't know would happen when having discussion about Raptors vs. Celts. Not an an All Star anymnore but arguably a very strong 4th player to go with your top 3 studs and use in conjunction with Ibaka to provide great rebounding and interior D.

Not sure what you mean in that Kawhi was a mystery as you knew you were getting one of the top defenders in the league as well as a top offensive player and would be a clear upgrade over Derozan. That still wasn't enough for me to think the Raptors to get over the proverbial hump as hard to be a 2 man superstar team to get to the promised land.

Go back and look at that thread. Kawhi was a mystery in that people thought he was either really injured, a headcase, and/or willing to sit out the entire season. Nobody questioned his ability... Well, one person did say that we had already seen peak Kawhi (I forget who... ayo?).

You can add Gasol as another variable that folks didn't know would happen when having discussion about Raptors vs. Celts. Not an an All Star anymnore but arguably a very strong 4th player to go with your top 3 studs and use in conjunction with Ibaka to provide great rebounding and interior D.

It was a great trade to put them over the top. They gave up a good player entering his prime though.

The immediate reaction (on these boards) to the Spurs/Raptors trade last year was NOT that it was a home run for the Raptors. It was pretty mixed, in fact. Most of the commentary was around what it meant for the Spurs, with a few folks noting it was a great risk/reward for the Raptors (KidA23, Pilchard, RChildress107, myself).

Starts here:
https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/28227-Official-2018-NBA-Offseason-Thread-the-preseason-cometh/page318?highlight=dubs

A couple of nice takes:
You got an all-star for 3 more years under contract, a good young player, and a pick or two. For a headcase who was probably going to sit out again this year for some bogus reason and then walk. You should be pretty damn happy with that return.
- 2&2 Slider To Leyritz

Seriously. Spurs made out way better on this deal. Kawhi is not going to stay in Toronto for five years, not even three.
- BiffTannen

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors up 3-1

Tony Parker retiring.

The ratings will be fine for the next few games. When you schedule a game at what was it? 9PM on the east coast during the week ... it is going to get lowish ratings. That is why they had two days rest between games 2 and 3, so they only have one weekday game in a game that can't decide the series. Game 6 will also be a week night game but will be a close out game ...

Game 5 on a Monday night at 9 PM.

The immediate reaction (on these boards) to the Spurs/Raptors trade last year was NOT that it was a home run for the Raptors. It was pretty mixed, in fact. Most of the commentary was around what it meant for the Spurs, with a few folks noting it was a great risk/reward for the Raptors (KidA23, Pilchard, RChildress107, myself).

Starts here:
https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/28227-Official-2018-NBA-Offseason-Thread-the-preseason-cometh/page318?highlight=dubs

A couple of nice takes:
- 2&2 Slider To Leyritz

- BiffTannen

So is Kawhi staying in Toronto ?

Obviously this worked out great for the Raptors and the one man/one season/one championship model is a worthwhile one, but it clearly wasn't obvious that the Raptors were going to win the East.

even if Warriors win in 7 and Kawhi leaves, I think the trade was still worth it

I agree, and any GM in the league would have made the trade based on those criteria. And kudos to the Raptors front office if they knew it was going to work out that way.

Vacancy in the East and you had already had one of the best teams. Not going that far out on a limb adding a star would put your team over the top

Vacancy in the East and you had already had one of the best teams. Not going that far out on a limb adding a star would put your team over the top

Yeah, but you're also subtracting a star.

Back