• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Obviously this worked out great for the Raptors and the one man/one season/one championship model is a worthwhile one, but it clearly wasn't obvious that the Raptors were going to win the East.

Yeah, I wasn't really calling you out as dumb... It was just the back to back posts from you and 2&2 that I thought were funny in retrospect.

Obviously, Kawhi to the Raptors could have been a disaster. It just didn't turn out that way. If they can win a championship this year, then it was definitely worth it (and has to at least give Leonard some pause in leaving money on the table to go to LA).

Since Kawhi doesn't have 10 years experience, the general rumors now are Kawhi will sign a short 2 year term deal, then sign his big contract once he gets 10 years experience and can get 35% of the Cap.

Yeah, remember all those playoff games DeRozan played with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobilli ?

Yeah, remember all those playoff games DeRozan played with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobilli ?

LOL. I do remember those playoff games DeRozan played with Kyle Lowry.

Since Kawhi doesn't have 10 years experience, the general rumors now are Kawhi will sign a short 2 year term deal, then sign his big contract once he gets 10 years experience and can get 35% of the Cap.

why would a guy with a weird injury history not sign the biggest deal he can this year? that makes no sense.

I think it was a trade that had to happen. The Spurs could have done better only if they had rationalized earlier that Kawhi was really never going to play with the Spurs again. He fucked the Spurs to some degree by hinting he'd come back for the playoffs 2018 and then not doing that. By then, it was too late for the better trade to the Celtics (Tatum, Brown, picks).

Honestly, if I was the GM of the Clippers I don't know what I'd do. On one hand, Kawhi is the best or 2nd best player in the league - one whose game has an even greater impact in the playoffs. On the other hand, he is going to miss 20+ games in a healthy year and I'm not sure how his body is going to hold up over the next 5 years. Is he Kobe? Or is Larry Bird?

If $35 mil can buy you Kawhi or Tobias Harris AND Julius Randle - which has better value across 5 years? It seems obvious that in year 1 Kawhi provides more, but what about years 2 thru 5?

It's not much of a decision. Kawhi played in 82 games this year. It just happened that 22 were in the playoffs. If you've got a guy who will get you to the playoffs and will be the best player on the court in any playoff game, you take him.

I didn't follow Kawhi's injuries closely during the season, but my impression was that they were mostly just maintenance. Based on the game log, I think I'm right.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leonaka01/gamelog/2019/

Through the first half of the season, he missed 10 games that were all the first, second, or both games of a back to back. After that, he missed 12 games, mostly to avoid going more than 8 days without a break. He hasn't missed a playoff game.

Huge KD fan, but hard to see him being effective after sitting out a month, and he obviously still must be hobbled or he would've been back sooner. I guess that KD on one leg is better than the GSW's alternatives, but seems like a low probability that KD can suddenly make a difference tonight.

Still, GSW is getting a lot of respect as the Raptors just won two games by double digits on the road, and even so, TOR is only favored by 1.5 tonight.

Hard to see the Raptors losing with a ton of momentum and an entire country behind them.

will be interesting to see if KD is willing to embrace a role as a spot-up shooter if he is indeed as physically limited as expected

I wouldn't be shocked by him getting 35 or getting 10. It's absolute crapshoot. The adrenaline could carry him to a really good game.

KD playing

drama level increased

99f9236285d44f0479104d3ef79ae839.gif

Yeah, I wasn't really calling you out as dumb... It was just the back to back posts from you and 2&2 that I thought were funny in retrospect.

Obviously, Kawhi to the Raptors could have been a disaster. It just didn't turn out that way. If they can win a championship this year, then it was definitely worth it (and has to at least give Leonard some pause in leaving money on the table to go to LA).

My take still stands, the Spurs got an all-star for 3 (now 2) more years under contract, a good young player, and a pick or two. For a headcase who was probably going to sit out again this year for some bogus reason and then walk. They should still be pretty damn happy with that return. Kawhi wasn't going to play for them again and they got good value in exchange for him. Would they have been better if Kawhi happily played for them going forward? Sure, but that wasn't going to happen, so it was the situation they had to deal with.

Back