• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

I say release Draymond. dude is so overrated. and he runs his mouth until Karma kills his squad

The guy who is one of the best defenders of his generation and just had a triple double in an elimination game. Not overrated.

11 pts, 19 reb, 13 ast, 3 stl, 2 blk. Hell of a line. Dude embodies his team's mascot more than just about anyone in sports besides Coach K.

Last edited:
Draymond sucks majorly as a person. Just sooo insufferable.

If KD is gone and Klay is toast, there is clearly no reason why Steph shouldn't demand a trade to come home to the Hornets.

Yes, their new building is basically a cash machine. Their tax would be the biggest ever, but so is their revenue. Some are saying the new building could create an additional $200M/year in its own revenue.

it’s a cash machine as long as they are winning. The minute they stop winning the bandwagoners stop going.

The guy who is one of the best defenders of his generation and just had a triple double in an elimination game. Not overrated.

11 pts, 19 reb, 13 ast, 3 stl, 2 blk. Hell of a line. Dude embodies his team's mascot more than just about anyone in sports besides Coach K.

you left out his 7 turnovers, some of which were egregious

I think all it says a few things about society. First, labor has secure more rights over the last two generations and it's far less likely that people stay in the same job for their whole career. The NBA is a microcosm of that. Second, social media has allowed us to "know" far more people than we used to know. For example, I think I knew you a little bit at Wake and I can't remember your name, but we've "known" each other on these boards for over 20 years. The same applies for athletes. In the past, player movement was about winning and salary but now it's about personalities and we have access to that. Third, we live in a 24 hour, 7 day a week, 365 day a year news culture. The NBA needs to sustain interest from mid-June to the end of October. The draft, free agency, summer league, etc serve that purpose.

The biggest thing it says about the NBA is that the NBA is a dynasty league. Every season maybe 3-5 teams have a chance at winning the championship at best and one of them always wins. Been that way as long as I can remember. So the quest is to become one of those teams. That's more likely to happen in the offseason than the regular season. Has a team ever become a championship contender in the regular season? Occasionally. But the story is more likely to be teams that were thought to be contenders falling off rather than the reverse.

Another thing is homecourt advantage doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to. Whether it's because teams travel in luxury or they can find randos on the road using Tinder instead of going to the club (reference a great article from a few years ago), for the top teams, the regular season is all about securing homecourt advantage. The Raptors won the last three games in Oracle. The home team only won 2 games out of 6.

I think it's premature to call this the end of the Warriors dynasty, too. KD is gone and Klay will be out for a long stretch. But I think the Warriors still ahve a contender and if they can plan to be without KD, they'll still be in good shape.

All good points.

Agree that the Warriors are not completely dunzo, but KD being gone brings them back to the pack of contenders. And I think their supporting cast stinks... Especially w/ Iggy getting older and Cousins likely headed elsewhere, as well.

Not sure I agree on home court advantage not mattering... one series isn't a trend. Feels more like an anomaly.

Next year feels wide open given the potential for player movement... But as you mention, we'll have a much better idea of the handful of real contenders once the rosters are set in a couple of months.

Home court advantage has been declining for years. I'm sure you can Google it and find plenty of pieces about it, especially the article that talks about the role of Tinder in the decline.

Serious question... Has any NBA star come back from an Achilles tear? I know it is possible in other sports, but in hoops?

Dominique Wilkins is the only one that comes to mind... Most of the other guys I can think of were old and in decline anyway. Rudy Gay kind of sucks now, and Cousins probably hasn't fully recovered yet.

It seems like signing KD to a max deal is a HUGE risk right now... I could see the Knicks doing it, but not sure it makes sense for many other teams to roll the dice on that.

I don't get Kawhi leaving at all. He just won a championship on his current team -- that's the goal, and Kawhi seems like someone who would just be locked in on winning championships, as opposed to just wanting to get to LA.

Agree. Except he's already won a championship on two different teams. Why not try for a 3rd somewhere else? Just feels like the top players move around more now than they used to. Also feels like trying to figure out Kawhi is a fool's errand.

Yeah. Makes perfect sense to stay with the Raptors, but if he went to the Clippers, they would then become a favorite to win it all. Wherever he goes will be expected to win and GMs have two examples of teams they could build around Kawhi.

Serious question... Has any NBA star come back from an Achilles tear? I know it is possible in other sports, but in hoops?

Dominique Wilkins is the only one that comes to mind... Most of the other guys I can think of were old and in decline anyway. Rudy Gay kind of sucks now, and Cousins probably hasn't fully recovered yet.

It seems like signing KD to a max deal is a HUGE risk right now... I could see the Knicks doing it, but not sure it makes sense for many other teams to roll the dice on that.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/11/kevin-durant-achilles-injury-news-recovery-history

I say release Draymond. dude is so overrated. and he runs his mouth until Karma kills his squad

Did you watch these playoffs? At all?

Dislike the dude as well, but even taking into account his game 6 was a huge dud, he was fucking BALLING all playoffs.

Did you watch these playoffs? At all?

Dislike the dude as well, but even taking into account his game 6 was a huge dud, he was fucking BALLING all playoffs.

What the fuck are you talking about? He was good to great in game 6.

Pretty sure that klay tore his acl there. Can feel like you're shot, then feel fine for 5 minutes before it starts to swell. Then, they do the loose patella tendon test and if you fail you are done.

The Bone!

What the fuck are you talking about? He was good to great in game 6.

Ah. He got beat a number of times in the 2nd half. By Kawhi, by Siakam. He's had much much better defensive performances in these playoffs and in these Finals. A couple of them seemed mental. He let his foot of the gas which you never see with him. When you claim to be the best defender in the league, you can't let Siakam back you down to the basket and let Kawhi and Ibaka grab offensive rebounds on the side of the rim you are supposed to be blocking out. Twoof those offensive boards resulted in put back bunnies. Not good.

He also had 7 turnovers.

But I think he still turned in a pretty solid performance last night and in the series. He's such a huge part of the team.

Ah. He got beat a number of times in the 2nd half. By Kawhi, by Siakam. He's had much much better defensive performances in these playoffs and in these Finals. A couple of them seemed mental. He let his foot of the gas which you never see with him. When you claim to be the best defender in the league, you can't let Siakam back you down to the basket and let Kawhi and Ibaka grab offensive rebounds on the side of the rim you are supposed to be blocking out. Twoof those offensive boards resulted in put back bunnies. Not good.

He threw the ball around a lot but he still had 11/19/13 with 3 steals and 2 blocks.

As to not getting boards, he got NINETEEN....It's hard to get boards when the opposition sends at least three guys after every miss and you're the only guy on your team in there.

I'm tired of Draymond's crying, but he played well last night. He was no Danny Green, but who is?

Back