• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

To be fair, there are a lot of good storylines on that Raptors team. Two African players. Two members of the Spain National team. Obviously Ibaka is both. His redemption is huge. Is Lin the first Asian-American player to win a championship?

Meh, Lin doesn't get to win a Championship, cause he barely played. But on that note, Lin is clearly a servicable NBA player, it is kinda strange to see he wasn't able to get on the floor. I guess you pick your best 7-8 guys and just go with them

Meh, Lin doesn't get to win a Championship, cause he barely played. But on that note, Lin is clearly a servicable NBA player, it is kinda strange to see he wasn't able to get on the floor. I guess you pick your best 7-8 guys and just go with them

That’s what good coaches do. Lin would have gotten some run if Powell or Vanvleet got hurt.

Toronto Raptors are NBA Champions. GSW "dynasty" appears to be on shaky ground, at best, given major injuries to KD & Klay.

Let's go back in time to mid-May 2018, because I am an insufferable douchebag:

League is broken. So much talent yet so unwatchable.

Yeah. KD may be costing the NBA 3-5 playoff games a year and 8-10 more playoff 4th quarters.

I’m far from an NBA superfan (in fact, I only watch the playoffs), but this take seems a bit extreme.

Isn’t it more the rule than the exception for the NBA to basically have 1-2 real contenders in a given year?

Doesn’t seem any different now than it has my entire life.

The Dubs with KD are beyond a super team. This is like if you added Hakeem to the Jordan Bulls.

Probably extreme, but the past 2 years there's been one and only one contender, and no one else is even close. The Warriors are 25-3 in the playoffs with Durant. They don't even go to Game 6s.

Zzzzzzzzz

Arguable, I guess... But I don’t think it’s that extreme. Sounds like an overreaction to one result (though I agree that a GSW championship is pretty much a foregone conclusion).

Bulls won 6 of 8 in the 90s.

GSW w/ Durant may be better than those teams, but there is no way they have as long of a window. We’re in year 4 now, right?

And Lebron could counter their dominance if he bolts for a better situation.

Year 4 of what? This is KD’s second year. The Big 4 are 28-30 years old. That’s how old Jordan was during his first 3 championships. This could easily go for another 5 years.

My comment on the window being shorter is due to money and contracts, not player age.

I feel like we have these same conversations every year.

Who is going to stop Lebron’s Heat?

If money and contracts were going to stop anything, it would have stopped them from getting KD in the first place. If the core four are contend with how much they're getting paid to win championships every year, money isn't going to stop anything.

Health stopped the Heat, but the Heat weren't unstoppable anyway. This is like if the Heat had added CP after Lebron's 3rd year in Miami.

I think you're underestimating how good the Warriors are and how sustainable this is.

I think you are underestimating the tendency for things to change.

There are so many ways things can fall apart.

Oh sure. There could be personality issues. But it would be very difficult for another franchise to compete with the Warriors without further breaking the system. That's the issue.

For the record... I don't think PhDeac was wrong in any way (in fact, his comment on health stopping the Heat, while debatable, was pretty prescient). I just think we were looking at it differently. Yeah, they were a phenomenal team as constructed... But when you are at the peak, there is only one way to go, especially if you stretch out the time horizon a bit.

is this patting yourself on the back routine fairly new?

is this patting yourself on the back routine fairly new?

Just seems that way because I am correct so infrequently.

Nah, I just earmark certain back and forth conversations when I feel like they'll be provable one way or another over time.

People (not pointing at ayo or PhDeac) say a lot of dumb shit on these boards and I feel like they never get called on it... So when they continue to spew dumb shit, it's nice for me to be able to go back and see that it's not new. I guess other posters just remember that or are able to segment posters in their head... I like to go back and look at past conversations (especially in the summer when there is so little new content).

Maybe next time I'll post a bunch of dumb shit I wrote about it being too early to get rid of Danny Manning.

To be fair, there are a lot of good storylines on that Raptors team. Two African players. Two members of the Spain National team. Obviously Ibaka is both. His redemption is huge. Is Lin the first Asian-American player to win a championship?

Is Tyronn Lue Asian-American? I have no idea, but he has an Asian last name and looks Asian, though maybe that isn't PC to say, but I've always assumed he was. Sounds like a 23andMe investigation.

Is Tyronn Lue Asian-American? I have no idea, but he has an Asian last name and looks Asian, though maybe that isn't PC to say, but I've always assumed he was. Sounds like a 23andMe investigation.

He was born in Mexico ... Missouri. Yes, Mexico, Missouri. And no, not Asian or half Asian.

Obviously crazy that essentially every championship and then the loss this year - injuries have had a major major factor. There was one year that the Warriors got an injury break (opponent lose top 3 player) in every series. Beating Cleveland without Kyrie. Kawhi last year. Then this.

He was born in Mexico ... Missouri. Yes, Mexico, Missouri. And no, not Asian or half Asian.

Obviously crazy that essentially every championship and then the loss this year - injuries have had a major major factor. There was one year that the Warriors got an injury break (opponent lose top 3 player) in every series. Beating Cleveland without Kyrie. Kawhi last year. Then this.

Don't forget they were dead before chris paul got hurt last year too.

That first year Cavs were without Kyrie AND Kevin Love. Their 2nd leading scoring was, checks notes, Timofey Fucking Mozgov. They still won 2 games somehow because Lebron, but still.

I wanted Game 7, but last night's ending was preferable to Toronto running away in Game 7 with Klay and KD both out.

make your predictions on offseason landing spots

KD:
Kyrie:
Kawhi:
AD:
Butler:
Klay:

Think Kyrie and AD go to the Nets. Klay back to the Warriors. KD to the Knicks. Butler back to Philly. Kawhi back to Toronto.

Game winning shots are hard.

D9B4FCQXkAE3a5w.png

Think Kyrie and AD go to the Nets. Klay back to the Warriors. KD to the Knicks. Butler back to Philly. Kawhi back to Toronto.

KD to the Knicks actually works well...one more year of sucking, a good draft pick, and then bueno.

Toronto Raptors are NBA Champions. GSW "dynasty" appears to be on shaky ground, at best, given major injuries to KD & Klay.

Let's go back in time to mid-May 2018, because I am an insufferable douchebag:

For the record... I don't think PhDeac was wrong in any way (in fact, his comment on health stopping the Heat, while debatable, was pretty prescient). I just think we were looking at it differently. Yeah, they were a phenomenal team as constructed... But when you are at the peak, there is only one way to go, especially if you stretch out the time horizon a bit.

My whole point was that KD put the Warriors over the top. Seems like a pretty strong take given that KD was injured.

Also I had healthy Warriors over healthy Raptors in 6 before the playoffs started. That’s a solid take without an injury crystal ball.

make your predictions on offseason landing spots

KD: Warriors
Kyrie: Nets
Kawhi: Raptors
AD: Lakers
Butler: Lakers (this one is tough but seems like a move that GM Lebron would make that would blow up in his face)
Klay: Warriors

/QUOTE]

Back