• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Yeah what are we presuming Magic is good at apart from buying ownership stakes?

Lebron managed to ruin his rep, AD's rep, Magic's legacy as a exec, and maybe Luke Walton's career and the confidence of the young Lakers all in one season.

I wonder if Jerry West is going to recruit Magic over to the Clips.
Well this is a dumb post.

Wow, missed this part. What a douche

Davis, who came to the Smoothie King Center wearing a "That's All Folks" T-shirt in reference to Porky Pig's famous line from the "Looney Tunes" cartoons, did not play on Tuesday and hasn't played since March 24 with what the Pelicans are calling lower back spasms.

This type of stuff is even more annoying than tanking

Lebron managed to ruin his rep, AD's rep, Magic's legacy as a exec, and maybe Luke Walton's career and the confidence of the young Lakers all in one season.

I wonder if Jerry West is going to recruit Magic over to the Clips.

I disagree, PH. Lebron has not "ruined" his rep. He's made a series of questionable career moves off the court. He's great on the court. He's a great human being off the court. But he's primadonna waltzed a few times - The Decision was dumb and the move to the Lakers was questionable. I'm willing to blame Rich Paul for both.

What this has highlighted for me is the incredible value of solid to fantastic organizations top to bottom. Frankly, he should have chosen the Clippers. Or Dallas. Or San Antonio. Or gone back to the Heat. Those are all well run organizations (not sure about Clippers, but Balmer seems okay and Doc was great this year).

The Lakers have been dysfunctional for a long time. The Buss family was problematic 20 years ago. Dad was out whoring it up Robert Kraft style. But they had Jerry West to run the front office and the "managed" Buss. Now, the Buss children are running the show and they don't get along. It's like the Murdoch family almost. Add to that Magic was a halfass GM who didn't understand the rules and didn't try to understand the rules, and you have a shit show.

Magic got in bed with Rich Paul not knowing how to pull off the Anthony Davis trade midseason and it imploded. Simple as that. You cannot dangle like 6 different players as trade bait and expect the season to be anything but a shit show afterwards. Add to that all 6 guys are 24 years old or younger and forget it. I feel sorry for Luke Walton.

Lebron has always tried to railroad his franchise to sign his "boys." He's a terrible GM. No GM in their right mind gives Tristan Thompason $10 million a year forever. It's an albatross contract. And it is not the only one.

Anyway, for me, this is more about a bad Lakers organization, Magic, and Rich Paul.

Lebron opened a school this year in Akron. The only way he could ruin his reputation is by truly F-ing up off the court - think Bill Cosby or The Juice. It was Magic's job to tell Lebron no and to come back at him with Hell no when he and Paul started trying to GM the franchise midseason. He didn't, and now he's gone.

I'd prolly hold off on calling Dallas a well run organization after all that #metoo stuff

I'd prolly hold off on calling Dallas a well run organization after all that #metoo stuff

I mean the business side is a shit show but you can’t argue much with the basketball side. They resurrected a franchise and went from league laughingstock to 3/4th winningest franchise in last 20 years

I agree with much of what jaybone is saying, and think it highlights how this is a players league. The single most important person in the Sixers organization is Joel Embiid. It's not Brett Brown or Elton Brand or Josh Harris, it's Joel Embiid. Brown and Brand said they informed Embiid of the Butler and Harris trades before they happened, and that sort of thing is crucial to keeping your most important person happy without having them actively pulling the strings. That kind of personnel management to me is more important than Xs and Os in the NBA. There are maybe 5 coaches at the top and maybe 5 coaches at the bottom who materially affect win/loss totals because of game-level decisions. What's far more important is their role in keeping the important players happy and whatever role they play in roster construction. After that, it's all about who's on your team.

Magic's decision to announce last night rather than this morning was a totally selfish and BS move. He knew full well the stories last night should have been about Dirk and Wade, but he had to steal the story line.

Bush league on Magic's part.

I agree with much of what jaybone is saying, and think it highlights how this is a players league. The single most important person in the Sixers organization is Joel Embiid. It's not Brett Brown or Elton Brand or Josh Harris, it's Joel Embiid. Brown and Brand said they informed Embiid of the Butler and Harris trades before they happened, and that sort of thing is crucial to keeping your most important person happy without having them actively pulling the strings. That kind of personnel management to me is more important than Xs and Os in the NBA. There are maybe 5 coaches at the top and maybe 5 coaches at the bottom who materially affect win/loss totals because of game-level decisions. What's far more important is their role in keeping the important players happy and whatever role they play in roster construction. After that, it's all about who's on your team.

Wait, what? You're agreeing with me?

You can now consider me right on EVERYTHING I say or do or tweet on days that the first black hole is photographed. All those days, you can turn to me for the TRUTH.

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread: Lakers RIP

I love jaybone’s post. “I disagree that Lebron has ruined his rep, but now since he’s ruined his rep, it’s cool now to talk about how Lebron vultures franchises.”

Townie, you could argue this is a players league but I’d argue only one players team has won a recent championship and that was Lebron’s Cavs.

I mean the business side is a shit show but you can’t argue much with the basketball side. They resurrected a franchise and went from league laughingstock to 3/4th winningest franchise in last 20 years

Well I guess you can give them credit for not giving up on Dirk like they gave up on a future 2 time MVP in Steve Nash, but there were a whole ton of bad draft picks and free agent signings between Josh Howard and Luka Doncic.

I love jaybone’s post. “I disagree that Lebron has ruined his rep, but now since he’s ruined his rep, it’s cool now to talk about how Lebron vultures franchises.”

Townie, you could argue this is a players league but I’d argue only one players team has won a recent championship and that was Lebron’s Cavs.

I'd argue that the Warriors are a players team. It's not just one player though.

Lebron has done it twice now in Miami and Cleveland. It won't work a third time when he's the highest paid and on the down slope of his career.

Durant leaving to join a team that had just set the single season NBA W/L record is a good example of players getting to do exactly what they want in a pro league.

Kawhi forced a trade, CP3 forced a trade, AD is forcing a trade, Porzingis forced a trade. Even HOF Bledsoe forced a trade.

We've left the Pat Riley era or the Phil Jackson era.

Back