• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

A jump shot is supposed to be straight up and straight down down. The defender has to allow that Flaying your legs out 3 feet from your starting point is an offensive foul

I did not see anyone flailing their legs. Not sure what you watched.

I have seen players do that and completely agree when that happens but I cannot recall that happening even once today.

I think one of those was a foul on Thompson (but not a dirty play). On the others he contested straight up and Harden initiated the contact by lunging toward the defender. The offensive player does have to have room to land, but the defender also has the right to contest.

Yep. STRONG agree with Russillo

“If you are in the “landing area” when a player falls forward a few ft. then get rid of contested shots. I dont know how to fix it. NBA has became a league of tricking officials, so every fan/player feels slighted when they don’t get a call where a ref feels like he’s being baited”

I think one of those was a foul on Thompson (but not a dirty play). On the others he contested straight up and Harden initiated the contact by lunging toward the defender. The offensive player does have to have room to land, but the defender also has the right to contest.

It’s not dirty per se but once the Warriors realized they could get away with it, they did on every jumper.

The one in the video above is actually the one I thought should have been called. I thought the others were proper no calls

Here’s a good link to the last Harden 3, which shows him clearly kicking out his legs. Sorry, don’t know how to embed video from phone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/commen...feet_out/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

That last one was probably a good call but a lot of others were much more blatant.

After Game 1 loss to Warriors, Rockets' Mike D'Antoni weighs in on the officials not calling fouls on three-point shots: "They just came at halftime and said they missed them. They missed four of them. That's 12 foul shots."

Watching the videos, Thompson clearly jumps forward on all three. On two of them he hops forward, then jumps forward.

I think the Zaza play was dirty. I didn’t see anything dirty in today’s game. The Warriors contested, but Harden lands in a very unnatural way, purely to try and draw a foul. The last sequence was a perfect example - he jumped forward and kicked his legs forward. That’s not a natural jump shooting motion. That’s a blatant attempt to draw a foul.

Well, I saw many of those cheap plays. Remember, I grew up a Warriors fa. I love Steve Kerr, but their play is absolutely classless.

Mike Breen, Mark Jackson and Jeff Gundy each spoke of three of these plays in the first half.

I'm not dismissing Harden's BS plays, but his don't cause injuries. Stepping under someone does. Refs need to start calling them on it.

It’s not dirty per se but once the Warriors realized they could get away with it, they did on every jumper.

Why did you change your position after saying was dirty?

"It’s dirty as hell and the referees just let it happen over and over again. "

This is correct. Not giving a person a place to land is intended to hurt them. It is the definition of a dirty play.

Why did you change your position after saying was dirty?

"It’s dirty as hell and the referees just let it happen over and over again. "

This is correct. Not giving a person a place to land is intended to hurt them. It is the definition of a dirty play.

It's not dirty in and of itself. I believe that a guy - Klay, in this instance - can make a mistake. It became clear, though, that this was Kerr's strategy. Everybody from Klay to Dray to Steph to Iggy to Looney started doing it after the first few didn't get whistled.

I guess I just never thought about Klay and Iggy as dirty players and I didn't want to label it dirty a priori. But I agree with you 100% on this one.

Expect a very differently officiated Game 2 (and a ton of insufferable media content in the meantime).

ETA: When I say that I believe that a guy can make a mistake, I'm referring to the fact that Harden's game is built around drawing those kinds of fouls and he's damn good at it (11 FTApg, iirc). But after a few of them up and down the roster throughout the game, it's clear that it's dirty ball.

It's not dirty in and of itself. I believe that a guy - Klay, in this instance - can make a mistake. It became clear, though, that this was Kerr's strategy. Everybody from Klay to Dray to Steph to Iggy to Looney started doing it after the first few didn't get whistled.

I guess I just never thought about Klay and Iggy as dirty players and I didn't want to label it dirty a priori. But I agree with you 100% on this one.

Expect a very differently officiated Game 2 (and a ton of insufferable media content in the meantime).

100% agree that it was a deliberate strategy. The minute it wasn’t called they did it on every single 3 point attempt. I don’t really think it’s dirty necessarily but it should absolutely be called every time and the refs just stood by and watched. God the Warriors are absolutely insufferable.

Sure, it was a deliberate strategy to contest 3 pointers. As opposed to, you know, giving up wide open 3s. Live by the flop, die by the flop.

100% agree that it was a deliberate strategy. The minute it wasn’t called they did it on every single 3 point attempt. I don’t really think it’s dirty necessarily but it should absolutely be called every time and the refs just stood by and watched. God the Warriors are absolutely insufferable.

You do that on the playground and you will get your ass kicked for doing it. There's no discussion about and no one would defend you.

It is 100% a dirty play. People do get injured on it.

Sure, it was a deliberate strategy to contest 3 pointers. As opposed to, you know, giving up wide open 3s. Live by the flop, die by the flop.

I mean, you can’t just decide to not follow the rule book randomly. I don’t give a shit if the NBA wants to change the way the play is called entirely. But as it stands today those calls need to be made. It’s a foul.

That was frustration and meaningless. If it happened with three minutes left or in the third quarter, it would have meant something. The game was over and the ejection was meaningless.

Back