• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Nah Lebron is 32 and those guys still don't make him look ordinary. We just take his combination of strength, skill and athletiscim for granted.

Yep, Lebron and young Shaq are as "freaky" as anyone you will ever see. Giannis and Porzingas are amazing but it's not like they make the other two look ordinary. They are all insane.

Could Shaq have played defense effectively in today's NBA? I feel like a motivated Shaq could have defended the PnR well enough to substantiate the overwhelming advantage he would have in the post on offense.

Clint Capela looks really fucking good so far this year. He needs to improve his stamina but his per possession numbers are young Dwight-esque.

He's not in the same league as KAT, Jokic, Porzingis, or healthy Embiid (both from a production and unique style of play standpoint) but he should be in any discussion of the great young big men in the league right now (he's two months younger than Embiid).

AD is only 24. That's a whole one year older than Capela.

I also would put Myles Turner above Capela.

Sabonis isn't as good a shotblocker as Capela, but his all around game is about the same as Capela.

Capela is a good player, but not close to being considered a "great young big men".

Are we cool with the fact that Lebron is on pace to be the all time points leader in like 4 years? He's at 29 PPG and 9 APG at this point. Is he the 2nd GOAT without question now?

This is a good question and one of many reasons that miracle shot by Derek Fisher that maybe cost Timmy Duncan a title and that even more miracle shot by Ray Allen that did cost the Spurs a title really stings.

If Duncan had a 6th or 7th ring, then I'd slot him into third behind Jordan and Russell, no matter what Lebron does.

Instead, its a debate.

Lebron is better than Tim.

Rings are a silly was to decide how good someone is. If they weren't, Big Shot rob and Steve Kerr would be Top 50 of All-Time.

AD is only 24. That's a whole one year older than Capela.

I also would put Myles Turner above Capela.

Sabonis isn't as good a shotblocker as Capela, but his all around game is about the same as Capela.

Capela is a good player, but not close to being considered a "great young big men".

I always forget how young Davis still is. He needs to get the hell out of New Orleans.

Small sample size but Capela this year is on a totally different level than Turner or Sabonis.

Lebron is better than Tim.

Rings are a silly was to decide how good someone is. If they weren't, Big Shot rob and Steve Kerr would be Top 50 of All-Time.

This. Rings matter as a tie breaker and I'm not sure if you can be a top 10 guy without one but two rings doesn't make up the difference between Tim and Lebron

DSJ seems to be getting more comfortable and Carlisle is figuring out how to use him with the people they have on the team. Played well against Cleveland last night sans Lebron standing him into the stands on one layup attempt. Averaging 21.5 pts, 6.5 boards, 7.5 assists with 1.5 TO. 3 point shot is still really hit or miss and he needs to hit about a third of them to stay effective but I think that will come along. Just needs to tighten up his mechanics a bit.

As we have all been saying, this Rookie class is just silly.

Just go down the list and almost every single 1st rounder is getting minutes and making contributions.

Ball with the youngest Triple Double last night
Tatum playing great in Boston
Jackson's a rotation player on a suddenly fiesty Phoenix team
Fox hits a game winner a couple nights ago
Isaac playing good minutes in the rotation in surprising Orlando
Markkkanen playing really well in Chicago (maybe the biggest surprise of them all to me)
Frankie Smokes looking really good NY, especially on D
DSJ doing well in Dallas (albeit on an awful team, that roster, woof)
Zach Collins not playing in Portland
Monk looking good on the second unit in CLT
Kennard getting about 15 min a game on surprising Detroit
Mitchell proving he certainly knows how to get shots up in Utah
Bam looking well at times as a small ball 5 in Miami on the second unit

So basically every lottery pick looks like a hit and then you have the following in the rest of the first round

Justin Jackson playing well in Sac-Town
Collins looking like a 10 year pro in ATL
Leaf getting min in Indy
Kuzma looking like a player in LA
Semi looking good in Boston
Plus several more.

Just a silly good draft.

All the more reason why trading up to get the 1st was a dumb move.

Markelle Fulze is following the Philly script for high draft picks: spend your first year rehabbing injuries and playing only a little if at all.

some unsolicited BOSTON HOMER (aka vintage rsf hyperbole) thoughts:

-I feel like I have championed Al Horford for a long time here, but god I love that dude. I called him the best player on last year's team, and I said he'd be our second best player this year (behind Hayward, RIP), and I've called him a top 30 NBA player, and (/deepbreath) I STAND BY ALL OF IT. I don't think there are many players who can do what he does. He's the best passing center in the game, plays top tier defense, and can create his own shot both in the paint and on the perimeter. He hits FTs at a solid rate, and playing with Brown and Tatum has freed him up to finally, sweet Jesus, yes, finally, rebound. He's playing like 25 year old Al Horford again. I love it and I love him and let's fucking goooooooooooo

-Jaylen Brown is a goddamn man. You clowns who ripped Ainge for taking him with a top 3 pick have disappeared back into the woodwork but HE'S HERE, BABY. He's only 21! I LOVE THIS TEAM

-Terry Rozier! MY SON. Setting aside how #elite he has been defensively (fitting dat Avery Bradley role perfectly!), he's taken some nice strides on offense and I don't cringe when he pulls up for 3's now, which is nice. I've defended the Rozier pick in the past, but I guess I just want to reiterate: he was never going to be a star, but getting a solid role player who can be counted on to not shit himself in meaningful minutes is a very good thing for a non-lottery pick. suck it nerds

-jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum jayson tatum

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hmmm an Al Horford led team gets out to a hot start behind the NBA's best young coach and strong team play while a Lebron led Cavs team struggles after significant roster changes. If only we had some sort of precedent for how that will turn out.

Tyler Cavanaugh had 16 and 6 in 18 minutes against the Pelicans tonight. Dude hit four threes.

Back