• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

If LeBron goes to Houston next summer, my God.

For Lebron to go to Houston (and them to keep CP3), they will have to find a sucker to take Ryan Anderson's contract for two years, not re-sign Ariza, dump Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker..

For Lebron to go to Houston (and them to keep CP3), they will have to find a sucker to take Ryan Anderson's contract for two years, not re-sign Ariza, dump Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker..

Anderson's 41% from 3 as a PF on 7 attempts per game, doesn't seem completely unmovable.

Anderson's 41% from 3 as a PF on 7 attempts per game, doesn't seem completely unmovable.

How many teams want to take on a $21M salary for two years? Only about ten can without giving something up and the Cavs can't take anything back.

Kelly Olynyk got 4 years, $50 million. If you throw in a couple of future 1st rounders, maybe?

:noidea:

They can find a way to move Anderson/Gordon/Tucker if they have to. Finding a way to keep Capela is the bigger issue.

They can find a way to move Anderson/Gordon/Tucker if they have to. Finding a way to keep Capela is the bigger issue.

This would put them way over even if Capela only gets a 4year/$70M RFA offer to match.

Lebron, CP3, Harden and Capela would put the Rockets over the cap.

Also, Harden will be eligible for a supermax contract after next year.

Is the new owner of the Rockets willing to pay 8-9 figures in tax penalties over the next few years?

Rockets would need to do some work on the salary side. One big question is how much CP3 and LeBron would sacrifice in salary potential to play on the same team together and still have decent quality team mates around them.

The quoted salary dump would clear around 49 million in cap space. that is more than enough to sign LBJ. Anderson plus one of the other three salaries would give the Rockets something in the high twenties or low 30's to work with. Rockets are currently (2017-2018) around 116 million. Above the cap (projected to be $102 million for 2017-18; 103 next year), but under the luxury tax number (projected to be $125 million for 2018-2019).

LBJ currently making $33.3 million in Cleveland.

Harden is at $30.4M next year. If Capela even get $17 M and you add the other guaranteed, they will be at about $55.5M without the slot holds for about seven players. That takes it over $62M.

Would CP3 and Lebron take $20M each or so?

Remember, Harden gets a monster deal the following year.

Also remember, they can't get anything back for Gordon, Anderson or Tucker and can't re-sign Ariza.

Using that scenario, I'm putting at 60/40 that Eric Gordon would put out a hit on CP3 thinking CP3 basically took all the fun out of his career. First, Gordon goes from the Clippers to the lowly Pels. Now, CP3 would be partially responsible to send him to a bad Cleveland team.

I'm guessing there would be at least one compassionate soul on the jury who would consider it justifiable homicide. :)

Melo is such a cancer. He's a black hole that devours the ball. He's completely the issue with this squad. I miss the Thunder when it was just Bestbrook against the world.

Yeah as much as I was trying to talk myself into it, I think the Rockets really dodged a bullet there.

If LeBron wants to play in Houston, Morey will figure out a way to make it work. Ideally he would figure out a way to keep Gordon and two of Ariza/Luc/PJ but that would involve Chris and LeBron leaving a lot of money on the table and probably wouldn’t be sustainable long term.

That team would be favored to win it all though.

Unless CP3 and Lebron are willing to take <$15M each there is no way to keep Gordon and two of your group. It simply isn't possible.

Harden, Gordon and Capela alone would be $60M+. Then add $15M for two of Ariza/Luc/PJ. that's $75M with seven other slots to fill BEFORE you pay CP3 and Lebron.

Yeah as much as I was trying to talk myself into it, I think the Rockets really dodged a bullet there.

If LeBron wants to play in Houston, Morey will figure out a way to make it work. Ideally he would figure out a way to keep Gordon and two of Ariza/Luc/PJ but that would involve Chris and LeBron leaving a lot of money on the table and probably wouldn’t be sustainable long term.

That team would be favored to win it all though.

That team would be phenomenal. CP3, Lebron, Harden would be silly good. Clint Capella would be a great big man complementary player. Gordon plus whomever stayed of the others would be an incredible second unit.

But yeah, there would be multiple players leaving a lot of money on the table to make that work. One year, doable. Two maybe. More than that, not happening. But it would be an incredible year.

Do you really think Lebron or CP3 would sign for under $15M/year when others will be offering $30M+?

Do you really think Lebron or CP3 would sign for under $15M/year when others will be offering $30M+?

I don't have a clue as to whether either CP3 or Lebron would leave that much money on the table. I also don't know if Rockets management would go into luxury tax territory to have a good shot at a title.

How much is a ring worth to CP3? How much does Lebron want to get CP3 a ring and get himself a ring in a third city? I don't even pretend to know the answers to any of these questions, but they will play a part in any decision by LBJ to go to Houston in summer of 2018.

Rings in three cities is a rarity, maybe never done before. Certainly not by a player who was a star and focus of his team.

Reactions: Ayo
It wouldn't be for one year. It would be for at least two years and likely the entire length of their four year deals.

Do you really think Lebron and CP3 would accept being paid the same or less than Eric Gordon for multiple years?

It wouldn't be for one year. It would be for at least two years and likely the entire length of their four year deals.

Do you really think Lebron and CP3 would accept being paid the same or less than Eric Gordon for multiple years?

You don’t know either way. So stop acting like you do.

Who knows more about NBA basketball Michelle Beadle or RJKarl ?

Back