• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

The Sterling thing was strange. He engaged in discriminatory housing practices for years and had been sued by hoops legend Elgin Baylor, but not a word was ever said about any of that. Then he is made to give up his team when some dude illegally tapes a private conversation of him talking to his 20something biracial girlfriend. He was apparently cool with her having sex with black guys, but please don't sit in the front row of games with black guys. I thought it set a bad precedent. Sure, discriminate away against African Americans and Latinos in your business practices, but don't get caught uttering bizarre racial ramblings in your own home.

I've always liked Cuban and find him refreshing. But this is really bad. In a way, I get his rationale for not firing the abuser, thinking that won't help correct his behavior and that he'd be better able to monitor the situation if the guy stayed there and got counseling for his behavior. But not after the 2nd woman with the black eye who also works there. As for the sexual harassment, that was so pervasive that Cuban had to know. Especially considering how much he holds himself out to be a hands on owner. After seeing Jerry Richardson voluntarily say he's selling the team at the 1st mention of sexual harassment, I gotta think Cuban is not long for the NBA world. Silver will appoint someone to investigate, and if this reporting is reasonably accurate, he and the other owners will force Cuban out if Cuban does not agree to sell immediately. But I doubt it gets that far. I bet Silver has already talked to him and told him it would be much better if he chooses the Richardson option rather than face a long and detailed investigation.

Didn't Cuban have a quote recently about how if the NBA tried to force him to sell a la Sterling he would spend every dollar he had on lawsuits? Am I making this up after these recent developments?

Interesting but it's gonna set up for some truly undeserving teams making the playoffs - what is the average record of a 10 seed?

Interesting but it's gonna set up for some truly undeserving teams making the playoffs - what is the average record of a 10 seed?

Usually not that much different than the 8 seed. This year, the Jazz are 30-28 and sit in the 10 spot. They are only 2.5 games behind the Thunder, who are currently in the 5 spot.

I like it. Adds some juice to the start of the playoffs and helps teams like last year’s Heat who start slow and finish strong but barely miss.

I like it. Adds some juice to the start of the playoffs and helps teams like last year’s Heat who start slow and finish strong but barely miss.

I imagine it's designed to discourage tanking as well

Tanking is awesome. Easy wins for the teams that are trying to win and something for bad teams to care about.

It is so easy to just not pay attention to tanking teams. I hate people that are against it.

Last edited:
There are already too many teams in the playoffs.

Somebody needs to come get phan’s boy, Zaza, before he catches some hands.

This. Go 1-16 and leave it alone.

If you want a play-in tournament at least go all the way and do a 16 team single elimination tournament for the final two spots.

Damn. That would be sweet as long as there’s a disincentive for tanking.

My dude SVG:

"The NCAA is one of the worst organizations -- maybe the worst organization -- in sports," Van Gundy told reporters. "They certainly don't care about the athlete. They're going to act like they're appalled by all these things going on in college basketball. Please -- it's ridiculous, and it's all coming down on the coaches.

"People that were against [players] coming out [of high school] made a lot of excuses, but I think a lot of it was racist. I've never heard anybody go up in arms about [minor league baseball or hockey]," Van Gundy told reporters. "They are not making big money, and they're white kids primarily and nobody has a problem.

"But all of a sudden you've got a black kid that wants to come out of high school and make millions. That's a bad decision, but bypassing college to go play for $800 a month in minor league baseball? That's a fine decision? What the hell is going on?"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22579359/stan-van-gundy-shreds-ncaa-one-done-rule

The NCAA is the worst for sure, but to be fair pretty sure they don’t want the one and done rule either, that’s all the NBA. And pretty sure the NBA’s reason for wanting players to go to college is about minimizing the risk of drafting inexperienced dudes who have only competed against extremely low level high school competition. Not racism. Pretty clueless take by a pretty clueless GM.

My dude SVG:

"The NCAA is one of the worst organizations -- maybe the worst organization -- in sports," Van Gundy told reporters. "They certainly don't care about the athlete. They're going to act like they're appalled by all these things going on in college basketball. Please -- it's ridiculous, and it's all coming down on the coaches.

"People that were against [players] coming out [of high school] made a lot of excuses, but I think a lot of it was racist. I've never heard anybody go up in arms about [minor league baseball or hockey]," Van Gundy told reporters. "They are not making big money, and they're white kids primarily and nobody has a problem.

"But all of a sudden you've got a black kid that wants to come out of high school and make millions. That's a bad decision, but bypassing college to go play for $800 a month in minor league baseball? That's a fine decision? What the hell is going on?"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22579359/stan-van-gundy-shreds-ncaa-one-done-rule

yea NCAA bball is a big money business. Hockey and baseball are not, that's why the rule is in place.

The NCAA is the worst for sure, but to be fair pretty sure they don’t want the one and done rule either, that’s all the NBA. And pretty sure the NBA’s reason for wanting players to go to college is about minimizing the risk of drafting inexperienced dudes who have only competed against extremely low level high school competition. Not racism. Pretty clueless take by a pretty clueless GM.

NBA also likes a year of free hype for their rookie class.

Back