• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

The NCAA is the worst for sure, but to be fair pretty sure they don’t want the one and done rule either, that’s all the NBA. And pretty sure the NBA’s reason for wanting players to go to college is about minimizing the risk of drafting inexperienced dudes who have only competed against extremely low level high school competition. Not racism. Pretty clueless take by a pretty clueless GM.

The collusion between the NBA and the NCAA on this issue is what really bothers me. It's a win-win for both organizations (and the only ones getting screwed are the athletes) to have kids playing in college for as long as possible, but the fact that the NBA wanted the one and done rule to prevent any kid no matter his skill level from jumping directly to the league is ridiculous, unfair, and shouldn't be allowed. And it's only because the NBA was/is too inept at talent evaluation so they kept drafting these kids out of high school who weren't ready for the NBA so they instituted the one and done rule to save themselves a little bit from their own stupidity.

Sure but who gets screwed? The kids who aren’t good enough for the NBA who end up staying in college and maybe getting a degree? The kids who are going to start making a ton of money at 19 instead of 18?

Sure but who gets screwed? The kids who aren’t good enough for the NBA who end up staying in college and maybe getting a degree? The kids who are going to start making a ton of money at 19 instead of 18?

The bolded get screwed. If you were coming out of high school and some company was willing to pay you $3 million but the government or some other regulatory body steps in and says "sorry, you have to wait a year for a completely arbitrary reason" you wouldn't feel screwed? You've missed out on a year of earning potential (which is already limited for athletes) which even beyond just the salary, if you were smart with the money (most of these kids wouldn't be, but the point still stands) could be worth an exponential sum decades into the future.

And even the kids in your first question get screwed too. If someone was willing to give them $3 million at one time, but then they go to college and have their skills evaluated more thoroughly and eventually do not get drafted, they've missed out on that money as well. I'd rather get paid a guaranteed contract of millions of dollars for a few years than not.

I would wonder why it was ok for regulatory bodies to screw me at 17 but not at 18.

A business decided to change its minimum requirements for an entry level position. That’s not worth freaking out.

Forgive me for siding with the athletes in this situation over the owners and league. It's just BS to me that the NBA did this because it was too stupid to conduct its business well, and at the same time that decision facilitates an entirely corrupt and useless organization like the NCAA to continue to operate. If there was a better mechanism for young basketball players to earn what they are worth I wouldn't care.

Zaza needs to be suspended for the rest of the season. He intentionally injured Kawhi. Last night, he jumped on Russ' legs and knees while Russ was helpless on the ground. There's no rational explanation other than trying to injure Russ.

I'm not a fan of Russ, but ZaZa was totally outrageous and needs to pay a big price.

Another part of this is that NBA teams are too cheap to spend money in developmental leagues. They finally have the D now G league. At least that is a start, serving the function of AAA minor league baseball. Guys on two way contracts are like baseball players on the 40 man roster but not in the big leagues. There is no NBA equivalent to baseball's 3 tier minor league system.

Instead of paying "maybe in a year or two" guys $50-75k to play in a minor league, the NBA has forced them to go to college and get sorted out there. The John Collins of the world win in this system.

Many guys you never hear about get screwed. Guys who can't make minimum college entry requirements. Guys who choose an incorrect (st least for them) college and coach.

The other set of guys who "win" in spite of themselves are those with NBA aspirations but not NBA talent who end up getting a college degree and being able to get a better non-NBA job than they might have gotten without going to college.

I too would be in favor of eliminating one-and-dones in college. Go pro right out of HS, maybe play in minor league basketball or go to college knowing you need to stay two years and actually go to class, unless you go to uNC.

I agree that one and done is a stupid rule. However, unless and until the NBA creates a full-fledged minor league system, there has to be some sort of rule.

You can't compare NBA players to tennis or golfers or skaters or skiers. Those are individual sports. Bball is a team sport.

If the NBA creates a viable, minor league system, they would likely have to do something like baseball. Draftees get a signing bonus, go to the minors, make very little money in the minors. When was the last high school baseball player who went directly to the majors? Was is it David Clyde or Mike Morgan in the 70s?

Even potential future Hall of Fame baseball players spend some time in the minors. Bryce Harper of the Nats is an example.

College baseball developed with the minor league system in place. College basketball has served as the NBA minor league. This worked OK when NBA beginning salaries were in the thousands. The risk/reward favored multiple years of college on scholarship.

Now that the potential reward of NBA salary is so much greater the risk/reward had swung so far to NBA that the NBA forced the "college evaluation" year.

I agree that one and done is a stupid rule. However, unless and until the NBA creates a full-fledged minor league system, there has to be some sort of rule.

You can't compare NBA players to tennis or golfers or skaters or skiers. Those are individual sports. Bball is a team sport.

If the NBA creates a viable, minor league system, they would likely have to do something like baseball. Draftees get a signing bonus, go to the minors, make very little money in the minors. When was the last high school baseball player who went directly to the majors? Was is it David Clyde or Mike Morgan in the 70s?

Bob Horner?

Didn't Horner got to AZ State? I don't think he came directly out of HS.

Horner got bad advice from his agent, Bucky Woy. Wound up playing for the Yakult Swallows in Japan.

Forgive me for siding with the athletes in this situation over the owners and league. It's just BS to me that the NBA did this because it was too stupid to conduct its business well, and at the same time that decision facilitates an entirely corrupt and useless organization like the NCAA to continue to operate. If there was a better mechanism for young basketball players to earn what they are worth I wouldn't care.

But they aren't worth it if the NBA - the organization setting their basketball worth - doesn't want them until they have gone to college for a year. I could be the best lawyer in the world, but if no law firm will hire me until I go to law school then I don't have any worth as a lawyer until i go to law school and they are willing to pay me (unless I want to go myself to solicit people on the street to be their lawyer / watch me play basketball).

The NBA instituted a job requirement that has clearly been a fantastic decision. In my opinion, there is no coincidence that the NBA is soaring in popularity now as compared to the post-Jordan shithole it was in when filled with the high school entrants. You can't have a league with guaranteed contracts and a salary cap but no consistent measuring stick to evaluate draft talent. There were too many unproven, wasted picks eating up cap space and roster spots to put a decent product on the floor. Now that those bums have cycled out, it is no surprise that the product is significantly better as a whole. The NBA made a great move with the one-year requirement, and really should push it to 2 or 3 years in my opinion. The LeBrons and Kobes over the world who deserve to get to the NBA will get there anyway, and it will continue to weed out those who make it on hype over production.

Agree that one and done rule has been good for the NBA. At the time the rule was adopted, the D (G) league was smaller made up of a few teams that shared players from multiple organizations; the NBA was not equipped to deal with multiple HS players trying to "develop" in the NBA; quality of play took a hit.

Times have changed.IIRC, by next season, every NBA team will have its own G League franchise. As a result, the NBA is much better equipped to draft players and send them to a developmental league than before. So, the "baseball rule" would better in the NBA now than before.

The one and done rule is the major cause of the current basketball scandal and its now clear that "student-athlete" concept for NCAA basketball is a complete farce for certain major programs (Kentucky, Duke, Arizona); the one and done recruits are not students by any definition; they are paid by agents and/or shoe companies to attend certain schools; they take a minimum amount of gut classes for one semester to stay eligible, and then for the second semester, the one and dones drop out of school after the NCAA tourney to ready for the draft; it's a pathetic system. So, one of two things have to happen: a) a baseball style rule for college hoop (minimum three year commitment before turning pro if you attend college; while giving the option to turn pro right away or going to JUCO for those that aren't ready, but don't want to or can't go to college) which would keep most of HS mega-stars out of college hoop and reduce the incentives for agents to pay players, or b) simply allow agents/shoe companies pay players while in college (would guess that further exacerbate the recruiting imbalance that schools like Duke hold as Nike is always going to offer more cash through Duke than through Wake or Vandy).

My personal preference is the baseball style rule as every player competing athletically for his/her college should have some legit academic connection to the school he/she represents. The way system works now; some colleges are basically AAU programs with their players wearing a college jersey twice a week and using the college facilities to train from August until March. Realize that big time D-1 athletics have always cut major corners for its student-athletes, but what is going on now at some (granted a few) schools is such a joke that it has stained the entire sport.

But they aren't worth it if the NBA - the organization setting their basketball worth - doesn't want them until they have gone to college for a year. I could be the best lawyer in the world, but if no law firm will hire me until I go to law school then I don't have any worth as a lawyer until i go to law school and they are willing to pay me (unless I want to go myself to solicit people on the street to be their lawyer / watch me play basketball).

The NBA instituted a job requirement that has clearly been a fantastic decision. In my opinion, there is no coincidence that the NBA is soaring in popularity now as compared to the post-Jordan shithole it was in when filled with the high school entrants. You can't have a league with guaranteed contracts and a salary cap but no consistent measuring stick to evaluate draft talent. There were too many unproven, wasted picks eating up cap space and roster spots to put a decent product on the floor. Now that those bums have cycled out, it is no surprise that the product is significantly better as a whole. The NBA made a great move with the one-year requirement, and really should push it to 2 or 3 years in my opinion. The LeBrons and Kobes over the world who deserve to get to the NBA will get there anyway, and it will continue to weed out those who make it on hype over production.

I agree that the product is better now, but like I said before I don't like that the league did it because it was too inept at evaluating talent or every GM was reaching for these high school kids hoping they would turn out to be superstars in three-four years so it cut it off as an option entirely. I've probably heard it on a couple of podcasts, but I like the idea of eliminating the one and done and make it an option for a high school kid to be drafted, but if you choose to go to college you can't get drafted for at least two years.

Also, this happened last night:

Back