• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

You know life ain’t fair when [name redacted] is coaching NBA all stars while Wake is still chilling in the bottom portion of the ACC.

Last edited:
Great D by Lebron and KD at the end. I was skeptical of the format, but man that was fun. Guys played for personal pride.

The game was pretty good, definitely better than the last few years. Still had the exhibition aspect of it but it was a lot more competitive.

Also, Ph's description of Fergie's national anthem as pretty poor is too kind. It was atrocious and easily the worst one I've ever heard. The reactions of the players & fans during it says it all. At least it has provide some hilarious commentary on twitter and r/nba.

To be fair, I started posting that right after Oh Canada and at the beginning of Fergie's anthem. It was definitely the worst rendition I've ever heard.

The format was a winner. I think they could take it a step further and have four captains pick four 8 man teams and play a tournament. Either play 3 16 minute games (2 semis and a final) or 4 12 minute games (2 semis, a 3rd place game, and final).

Definitely do the draft on Friday night after the Rising Stars game.

To be fair, I started posting that right after Oh Canada and at the beginning of Fergie's anthem. It was definitely the worst rendition I've ever heard.

The format was a winner. I think they could take it a step further and have four captains pick four 8 man teams and play a tournament. Either play 3 16 minute games (2 semis and a final) or 4 12 minute games (2 semis, a 3rd place game, and final).

Definitely do the draft on Friday night after the Rising Stars game.

This is a good idea.

It was Fergie Fergieing. Far from the worst ever. For one example, I present Carl Lewis:

Inside the Corrosive Workplace Culture of the Dallas Mavericks

It was an hour or so before tip–off. The Dallas Mavericks were hosting a nationally televised game during the 2010–11 NBA season. And, deep inside the American Airlines Center, a recently–hired Mavericks support staff employee was eating dinner in the media dining room. As the woman sat down, the team president and CEO, Terdema Ussery, asked if he could join her. She grew nervous, not because Ussery was her boss’s boss, or because he was one of the most prominent figures in the Dallas sportscape. It was because his reputation as a serial sexual harasser of women preceded him.

At this meal, with ESPN crew members seated nearby, Ussery struck up an unusual conversation. As the woman recalls the exchange, Ussery claimed that he knew what she was going to do over the coming weekend. When the woman asked, confusedly, what Ussery meant, he smiled.

“You’re going to get gang-banged,” he asserted, “aren’t you?”

“No,” the woman responded, caught off-guard. “Actually, I’m going to the movies with friends.”

“No,” Ussery insisted. “You’re definitely getting gang-banged.”

The NBA should treat Cuban the way they treated Sterling. He needs to be gone.

For Cuban to say he counts the number of games journalists attend, but knew nothing of what went on in his own office for nearly twenty years is unbelievable.

Sneed plead guilty in 2011 for assaulting his girlfriend. Cuban did nothing. Sneed plead guilty for assaulting another woman in 2014. Again, Cuban admits to knowing and doing nothing.

I doubt they have the balls to do a Sterling, but, at the very least, Cuban should lose his 1st Round picks for the next 2-3 years as a minimum punishment.

Is there a league policy that states you can’t employ ppl who plead guilty to domestic vioience?

I tend to agree it's hard to believe Cuban did not know that some, if not most/all, of the accusations and incidents occurred. He admitted to at least one. The difference with Sterling is one of evidence at this point. I would think that the NBA could not force a sale without having/exhibiting evidence. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Cuban tells anyone who will listen that he's the most hands-on owner in the NBA. But he didn't know about twenty years worth of abuse.

BTW, his GM went to work for Under Armour and was fired in less than two months for cornering a woman in an elevator and trying to force himself on her...just as he had been accused of doing many times in Dallas.

Dude went to Princeton/Berkeley and Harvard and was the president of a basketball team. I imagine he would have done quite fine with the ladies just being nice.

The NBA should treat Cuban the way they treated Sterling. He needs to be gone.

For Cuban to say he counts the number of games journalists attend, but knew nothing of what went on in his own office for nearly twenty years is unbelievable.

Sneed plead guilty in 2011 for assaulting his girlfriend. Cuban did nothing. Sneed plead guilty for assaulting another woman in 2014. Again, Cuban admits to knowing and doing nothing.

I doubt they have the balls to do a Sterling, but, at the very least, Cuban should lose his 1st Round picks for the next 2-3 years as a minimum punishment.

The Sterling thing was strange. He engaged in discriminatory housing practices for years and had been sued by hoops legend Elgin Baylor, but not a word was ever said about any of that. Then he is made to give up his team when some dude illegally tapes a private conversation of him talking to his 20something biracial girlfriend. He was apparently cool with her having sex with black guys, but please don't sit in the front row of games with black guys. I thought it set a bad precedent. Sure, discriminate away against African Americans and Latinos in your business practices, but don't get caught uttering bizarre racial ramblings in your own home.

I've always liked Cuban and find him refreshing. But this is really bad. In a way, I get his rationale for not firing the abuser, thinking that won't help correct his behavior and that he'd be better able to monitor the situation if the guy stayed there and got counseling for his behavior. But not after the 2nd woman with the black eye who also works there. As for the sexual harassment, that was so pervasive that Cuban had to know. Especially considering how much he holds himself out to be a hands on owner. After seeing Jerry Richardson voluntarily say he's selling the team at the 1st mention of sexual harassment, I gotta think Cuban is not long for the NBA world. Silver will appoint someone to investigate, and if this reporting is reasonably accurate, he and the other owners will force Cuban out if Cuban does not agree to sell immediately. But I doubt it gets that far. I bet Silver has already talked to him and told him it would be much better if he chooses the Richardson option rather than face a long and detailed investigation.

Back