• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Paul Pierce isn't in the Top 10 SFs of All-Time. He'd be lucky to be in the Top 20.

Wilt ran a sub-two minute half mile, a sub-fifty second quarter mile, and long jumped twenty-two feet in high school. For people who never saw him play, it’s impossible to understand just what an absolutely freakish athlete he was.

He high jumped seven feet and was a leading force in beach volleyball. I saw some videos of Wilt in HS and he would often bring up the ball when the 'Brook got pressed. He's the only player in NBA history to have led the league in scoring, rebounding and assists. Obviously, if they had kept track of blocked shots back then, he would have led in that as well.

Even more amazing than his 100 points, almost 24,000 rebounds, averaging 50.4 ppg was the season he average 48.5 minutes per game for a season.

For his first six seasons, he sat out less than 1 mpg averaging 47.2 mpg. Hell, for his entire career (which included several years with very bad knees), he averaged 45.8 mpg.

While at Overbrook High, Wilt would often skip tests to avoid getting straight As, because he was self-conscious about being one the smartest kids in the school as well as being the best athlete. I was told by a close friend of Wilt's that Wilt spoke at least seven languages.

He didn't reach the NBA until he was 23. Imagine how crazy his numbers would have been if he had arrived at 19 or even 21.

Last edited:
Official 2017 NBA Thread: my god it's full of all-stars

I don’t know, man. I just think the drop off between centers in a GOAT draft isn’t as great as the wing you pick after Jordan and Lebron. If I take Bron first and end up with David Robinson in the 2nd then I’m feeling a lot better than the guy with Wilt and Paul Pierce.

Yeah. And Wilt would face elite defenders in just about every C matchup.

Wilt faced elite defenders in HOF centers Bill Russell, Wills Reed, Nate Thurmond, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dave Cowens, and Bob Lanier, none of whom came close to stopping him.

I know this sounds like just another old guy talking about how players in his day were better, but Wilt was simply unstoppable. The fact that he averaged 50 PPG one year for no other reason than his coach, Frank McGuire, told him the team needed him to is just ridiculous.

And I was not Wilt fan. The Lakers and my Knicks played in the finals almost every year when I was in high school. I hated Wilt. Even a lot of younger people are familiar with the famous 1970 game seven with Willis Reed dragging his leg onto the court. What people don't remember is that the Lakers faced elimination in game six. Wilt destroyed the Knicks single-handedly in that game, scoring 45 points and grabbing 27 rebounds. In his book The Open Man,Dave Debusschere described Wilt as "super human".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ains-record-season-that-will-never-be-matched

Yeah. I know Wilt faced elite defenders during his day. The point is Jordan and Lebron would be far less likely to face elite defenders at their positions.

What were Wilt and Kareem’s H2H numbers?

In the GOAT draft, passing in Wilt is probably still forgivable considering your consolation prize would be a dominant player. Passing on Bron or MJ is probably something you would regret.

I don’t know, man. I just think the drop off between centers in a GOAT draft isn’t as great as the wing you pick after Jordan and Lebron. If I take Bron first and end up with David Robinson in the 2nd then I’m feeling a lot better than the guy with Wilt and Paul Pierce.

Then again, I think the King choked against the Truth many times. Mentally fried out. Whereas I'm not sure the Admiral ever got the better of Superman. I think I'd take Wilt and Pierce.

Prime Admiral might be the sleeper pick of the draft. Prime Admiral was better than Prime Duncan. This mythical draft should probably be clarified as to whether you are building your team on career contributions or one prime season. Either way, you probably want to pass on Len Bias.

Prime Admiral might be the sleeper pick of the draft. Prime Admiral was better than Prime Duncan. This mythical draft should probably be clarified as to whether you are building your team on career contributions or one prime season. Either way, you probably want to pass on Len Bias.

According to basketball reference, David Robinson had 6 seasons better than The Big Fundamental's best season according to PER. And Wilt has the best two PER seasons of all time.

I might #ShockTheWorld and take Prime AI first overall. If that cat can drag Eric Snow’s ass to the Finals, imagine what he could do with Dirk and Scottie Pippen in tow.

I might #ShockTheWorld and take Prime AI first overall. If that cat can drag Eric Snow’s ass to the Finals, imagine what he could do with Dirk and Scottie Pippen in tow.

That would be a really bad pick.

Prime AI might be the most underrated player of ALL TIME. When he crosses up Jordan, you probably won’t feel so confident.

Screw it. I’m ready to do this draft. How many people do we want in it? Are we just drafting a starting 5 strictly by position?

Official 2017 NBA Thread: my god it's full of all-stars

I feel like taking Jordan first makes the draft easy down the line. Unless it’s a huge draft (20+ teams) you can probably get Pippen or another complementary SF like Kawhi. You can take a good 80s/90s big in the 2nd or 3rd. Spend the last two picks on a defensive PG who doesn’t need to take too many shots but can hit them like Glove or Stockton and a big who complements the PF or C you took before. Like get KG and Dikembe or something like that.

But if you don’t take Jordan and you miss Kobe, you end up with a shooter. A great shooter like Miller or Allen but a clear step down from Jordan.

Here’s a new question. When do you take Magic?

Last edited:
I feel like taking Jordan first makes the draft easy down the line. Unless it’s a huge draft (20+ teams) you can probably get Pippen or another complementary SF like Kawhi. You can take a good 80s/90s big in the 2nd or 3rd. Spend the last two picks on a defensive PG who doesn’t need to take too many shots but can hit them like Glove or Stockton and a big who complements the PF or C you took before. Like get KG and Dikembe or something like that.

But if you don’t take Jordan and you miss Kobe, you end up with a shooter. A great shooter like Miller or Allen but a clear step down from Jordan.

Here’s a new question. When do you take Magic?

It’s gotta be at least 20 teams.

Back