• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Salary cap projected at $99 mil now. People saying that is big/bad news for a few teams.

That's an absurd statement.

+1. KP is 21 years old. He should be a junior in college right now. Think about that. It's ridiculous. He has a long ways to go, and we have no idea what kind of player he will become.

Salary cap projected at $99 mil now. People saying that is big/bad news for a few teams.

The report I read blamed it on the low number of playoff games.

That's messed up. A top heavy league ruins the cap for everybody.

The difference between 101 (what they were thinking initially) and 99 is critical to some teams. Huge news.

The report I read blamed it on the low number of playoff games.

That's messed up. A top heavy league ruins the cap for everybody.

Are they banking on the trickle down effect...prob won't work here either.

My buddy's trying to convince me that the C's have a real shot at Porzingis. He's suggesting we move #3 this year, the Lakers/Kings pick, and Crowder. I thiiiiiink that'd get it done too?

That's sort of a lot of talent to put on the board, but if we turn around and sign Hayward, that gives a starting lineup of Thomas/Bradley/Hayward/Porzingis/Horford, with Smart and Brown off the bench. The bench would be a little thin (certainly thinner than this year's was), but I think that lineup would be enough to beat the Cavs.

Interesting follow up to that thought (which I disagree with, btw).

How far down the east standings do you have to go before you find a team that if Lebron played for them, they would win the east? The 1st 4 seeds are no-brainers. Lebron on the Cavs, Celts, Raptors, or Wizards would clearly win the East. After that? Would the Hawks with Lebron win? What about the Bucks? The Pacers? The Bulls? The Heat?

I think you could argue that anyone short of the Hornets would win the east with Lebron.

Any team in the league with Lebron would win the East.

A better question is where would the Cavs finish if you replaced Lebron with a replacement level starting SF. Let's say Luol Deng.

My buddy's trying to convince me that the C's have a real shot at Porzingis. He's suggesting we move #3 this year, the Lakers/Kings pick, and Crowder. I thiiiiiink that'd get it done too?

That's sort of a lot of talent to put on the board, but if we turn around and sign Hayward, that gives a starting lineup of Thomas/Bradley/Hayward/Porzingis/Horford, with Smart and Brown off the bench. The bench would be a little thin (certainly thinner than this year's was), but I think that lineup would be enough to beat the Cavs.

Id do that in a heartbeat. Cheap bench players/vets are easy to get. Porzingis is not

The Sixers could offer #1 this year, the pick next year Saric and more picks. Saric would take Porzingis' position immediately and the Knicks would get the #1 pick. Saric is already better than Crowder.

Any team in the league with Lebron would win the East.

A better question is where would the Cavs finish if you replaced Lebron with a replacement level starting SF. Let's say Luol Deng.

I don't think the 76ers this past year would have won with Lebron. Nor Brooklyn or Orlando. The Knicks are iffy only because of the idea the organization is a shitshow. Other than that, I think every other team in the East would have won with Lebron on the team.

As a corollary, if you put Durant on any of the other East teams and keep Lebron on the Cavs, I still think the Cavs when the East. Same is true for Curry, Harden, Westbrook, and everyone else save maybe Leonard (on the Celts and the Wizards).

I don't think the 76ers this past year would have won with Lebron. Nor Brooklyn or Orlando. The Knicks are iffy only because of the idea the organization is a shitshow. Other than that, I think every other team in the East would have won with Lebron on the team.

As a corollary, if you put Durant on any of the other East teams and keep Lebron on the Cavs, I still think the Cavs when the East. Same is true for Curry, Harden, Westbrook, and everyone else save maybe Leonard (on the Celts and the Wizards).

If you put Durant on the celts they win the east or at least goes 7

The Sixers could offer #1 this year, the pick next year Saric and more picks. Saric would take Porzingis' position immediately and the Knicks would get the #1 pick. Saric is already better than Crowder.

I doubt the Sixers go after Porzingis

The last two months, when he was healthy and starting, Saric averaged over 17 ppg, about 7.5 rpg which is more than Crowder. Jae shot a bit better on threes; they were about equal on twos and Crowder made about 1 more FT out of ever 25 they each took (or 1 more every ten games Crowder played). Jae a bit better defender. Saric is a better ball handler.

I'd rather have a 6'10 SF than a 6'5 when neither is an excellent three point shooter.

He was starting because the Sixers roster was dogshit. Crowder could have averaged a double double in that lineup, for all you know. He's certainly a better rebounder than Saric on a percentage basis. It's a stupid thing to say.

And Jae is "a bit better defender"? He's one of the best defenders at his position; it's literally what he's known for. The dig on Saric was that he doesn't really play defense.

Last edited:
We was starting because he was healthy. Crowder is not a better rebounder than Saric. It's not even close.

BTW, percentage basis of rebounding has a lot to do with the fact the Celtics are a bad rebounding team. Numbers without context are useless.

He was starting because the Sixers roster was dogshit. Crowder could have averaged a double double in that lineup, for all you know. He's certainly a better rebounder than Saric on a percentage basis. It's a stupid thing to say.

And Jae is "a bit better defender"? He's one of the best defenders at his position; it's literally what he's known for. The dig on Saric was that he doesn't really play defense.

Crowder low key sort of sucked on defense this year. Even Celtic homers I talk to agree with that. If i'm the Celtics, i'd trade absolutely anything on my roster to get Zinger. He would crush it with that system and make them instantly a contender for the next 5-7 years in the east if not more.

Back