• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

HUH? You most often win by developing the talent you have. You don't "sacrifice winning" to do so.

That’s partly true in the offseason/preseason but not really during the season. Even outside of the season coaches are more concerned with implementing specific schemes (that are often very different than what players will see in the NBA) than they would be in a purely developmental league.

During the season practice time is more limited in college and spent more on schemes, plays, and preparing for specific teams than skill development. In college players aren’t encouraged to do things they aren’t good at in games in order to get better at them. Instead coaches limit their roles to what they are really good at in order to maximize their chances of winning.

That’s not a knock on college coaches, just a reflection of what they are paid to do. The G-league is already different to an extent and has the potential to be even moreso.

Unfortunately, I don't see how this trade happens without Toronto also getting Danny Green. I still feel Green is undervalued - not too many players in the league that can guard Steph, Klay and Durant in the same game and do well on all three. He also played Lebron fairly well. Losing Green and Leonard essentially remove your best two defenders on the wing. It is possible Toronto accepts Gasol instead for some reason, or maybe Memphis is involved as well and Gasol goes back to Memphis to finish his career?

Didn’t Derozen say he was going to the Lakers before resigning with Toronto?

Two unhappy LA kids getting traded while a kid from Akron rules the roost in LA.

"Leonard and DeRozan are both aware that an agreement could be imminent, and neither is expressing enthusiasm for the deal, league sources said."

lol

I wonder if the Spurs are planning to offer Derozen to the Lakers. Troll Kawhi by taking his spot.

Yet another alert with no rumor of who is in the deal except more players on both sides.

This is a fantastic FU-Trade by Pop. Millennial pussy wants to go to LA? Nope. Howabout Cali? Nope. West coast? Nope. Western conference? Nope. United States? Nope. I am sending you as fucking far away from LA as is NBA possible. My respect for Pop just increased significantly.

If the rumors are true, the Spurs absolutely crushed this trade. OG can be Kawhi lite, and Pop will turn Poetl into a legit weapon. Plus 3 years of Derozen, they could be back in business.

Last edited:
So much for those "Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and two first rounders" rumors. What a terrible return.

You got an all-star for 3 more years under contract, a good young player, and a pick or two. For a headcase who was probably going to sit out again this year for some bogus reason and then walk. You should be pretty damn happy with that return.

Seriously. Spurs made out way better on this deal. Kawhi is not going to stay in Toronto for five years, not even three.

Allegedly uncle dennis lobbied the spurs for a year to get a job in the front office. Another rumor is that he wanted a private space for he and Kawhi on the team plane. Can't wait for the 30 for 30.

You got an all-star for 3 more years under contract, a good young player, and a pick or two. For a headcase who was probably going to sit out again this year for some bogus reason and then walk. You should be pretty damn happy with that return.
Seriously. What were Spurs fans expecting to get? No one was gonna give you any really good young player. More #SpursHubris.

I don't think anyone thought the spurs would get equal return. No big trade does anymore. I preferred one of their young guys vs another. Spurs decided on a big rather than a young wing. 5.75 in one hand...

They will miss green on defense. Sounds like it might be tough to get ddr to buy in defensively.

In NBA history, I doubt you can find a trade of a true superstar, who in his prime, where the team trading the superstar got close to equal value.

Yeah. This is solid. Kawhi and Uncle Dennis don’t get what they want. The Spurs get a star player and promising young big. If Kawhi actually plays, the Spurs will have two first round picks. They could use them straight up or package them.

Back