• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

If Kawhi is healthy he has the chance to pretty quickly rehab his image. Win while playing like the guy he was 2 years ago (hopefully for him). No more uncle in the news. Jump on th drake train. Toronto loves that guy and he is all over that city. The brand that Kawhi's team so covets could make a big leap. Its also a big market and very diverse.

His team also runs the risk of missing out on the national team. Isn't 2020 in Japan? Getting into Asian markets could make his team a ton of money. He toured china last summer.

Well for starters, Sokolove, there is no ball in that famous photo.

r960-3acde80a9e2b9651f76c023908455789.jpg

this is great detective work

This is prett bad for both sides, but at least the upside reward is there for the Raptors. I get that Pop didn’t want to babysit the rebuild but the Spurs are now basically locked in as the Raptors (at best) or the Hornets (at worst) of the West. Unfortunately for them, in the west the Raptors are like a 6-7 seed.

DeRozan is almost certainly past his peak and is now paired with another aging star whose game doesn’t quite fit in today’s NBA and a bunch of role players who are either 2+ years away from or past their primes. Would have been better to trade him for whatever picks/youth they could find and blow the whole thing up.

From a title or bust standpoint this kinda makes sense for the Raptors. With a healthy/engaged Kawhi this team should probably be the favorite in the East. Whether they make it to the finals or not, they are now in a position to blow it up when Kawhi walks. Giving up Poeltl is tough though.

He's 28 and his last three seasons have been his best across the board

His team is really making every wrong move.

It's stunning how he's let his people ruin his image. He hasn't said a word and his people haven't either, yet his rep is damaged.

It's an amazing story. He went from a MVP candidate for a top 5 team to a malcontent who may not even be healthy.

37291765_10157638491460550_4000659171757260800_n.jpg

I read the article on Kawhi's uncle and screw that guy. But really, how did this happen to Kawhi? No one saw this coming over the long-term. Kawhi was the unheralded, shy guy driving his paid off truck and seemed pretty content like that. Now he's demanding private spaces on the team plane, demanding to play in a glamour market, and threatening to sit out.

It's his team. Former manager suing because uncle dennis and someone else were being paid without telling him so his% dropped.

Now Kawhi is threatening to sit out next season.

Kawhi will play.

If Kawhi sits out next season, he loses his free agent status in 2019. Had no idea that Kawhi was such a massive pain the arse (I get that there are others around him pulling strings, but he is an adult; he is accountable).

He didn't technically sit out last season. He could do the same again.

He's 28 and his last three seasons have been his best across the board

Right. Last season was almost certainly his peak. Very few players peak at age 29 (DeRozan once the season starts) or later. The Spurs bought high. Unless they can flip him at the trade deadline or bring in a legit #1 option I think that was a very poor decision

Poor decision compared to what decision?

Now Kawhi is threatening to sit out next season.

Not surprised but that would be incredibly stupid. I get it as a bargaining tactic or as a fuck you to the Spurs (not saying it’s warranted) but what do you gain at this point from sitting out a year. I guess not having to go to Toronto at all? Seems pretty weak.

Poor decision compared to what decision?

Doing nothing would have been better. They certainly could have gotten a better rebuilding haul than Poeltl and a late first in a week draft.

I know it would be a sour ending to Pop’s career, and god knows he deserves better than that, but he should have moved to the front office, promote one of the assistants, and move Kawhi and LMA for assets and bad contracts with an eye towards contending again in 20-21 at the earliest.

Not surprised but that would be incredibly stupid. I get it as a bargaining tactic or as a fuck you to the Spurs (not saying it’s warranted) but what do you gain at this point from sitting out a year. I guess not having to go to Toronto at all? Seems pretty weak.

Good luck getting a max offer if he sits the year out.

I am sure playing 9 games in two seasons will really get those endorsement dollars flowing in too.

Doing nothing would have been better. They certainly could have gotten a better rebuilding haul than Poeltl and a late first in a week draft.

I know it would be a sour ending to Pop’s career, and god knows he deserves better than that, but he should have moved to the front office, promote one of the assistants, and move Kawhi and LMA for assets and bad contracts with an eye towards contending again in 20-21 at the earliest.

What? That’s basically what they did except for the coaching change. They got DeRozan for the rest of his prime and his salary and LMAs will be off the books by 21-22.

If you look at it from the perspective of a 47 win team, they traded Danny Green for an all-star, young big, and a pick.

What? That’s basically what they did except for the coaching change. They got DeRozan for the rest of his prime and his salary and LMAs will be off the books by 21-22.

If you look at it from the perspective of a 47 win team, they traded Danny Green for an all-star, young big, and a pick.

And then what? Are they going to contend with that roster over the next 3 years? When the big contracts come off the books is the plan to roll with Murray, Poeltl, and a couple of late first round guys?

Back