• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

I don't think anyone thought the spurs would get equal return. No big trade does anymore. I preferred one of their young guys vs another. Spurs decided on a big rather than a young wing. 5.75 in one hand...

They will miss green on defense. Sounds like it might be tough to get ddr to buy in defensively.

Time to adjust to have a defensive PG and a high scoring SG instead of the other way around. I’m fine with that. Got scoring at SF as well with Gay. Plenty of veteran and young guards.

I'm only disappointed that the relationship broke down. The deal is about as good as they could have hoped for.

The tweet above says a protected first rounder turni g in to 2 seconds.did I miss something?

I'm only disappointed that the relationship broke down. The deal is about as good as they could have hoped for.

The tweet above says a protected first rounder turni g in to 2 seconds.did I miss something?

I’m guessing Toronto has another second stashed away.

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: okay, that was actually pretty funny

I’m guessing Toronto has another second stashed away.

Looking again, it doesn’t specify 2020 so it’s probably Toronto’s 2020 and 2021 picks. That’s not nothing if one of those is the “double draft” with HS entrants.

Here is the current roster although I’d put White and Forbes at combo and Walker at guard.

https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1019575679808090117?s=20

I didn’t get to watch Summer League but from the writeups Walker could eventually play the role Simmons played for the Spurs.

I do think Paul is gone and Manu may retire.

Last edited:
We can take it to the long 2 thread but they can't keep paul and I can see Manu only coming back for pop after losing his wife and the 2014 team being blown up.

Not as bad as the trades of Wilt or Kareem....or trading the rights to Bill Russell for a few nights of the Ice Capades.

I was in third grade when Wilt scored 100 points. I was listening to the game on my transistor radio when bedtime came. I was told to turn off the radio. I did.

Well for a minute. I quietly got out of bed, got the radio, put it under my pillow and put the earplug in. When Wilt scored his 100th point,I let out a little scream.

My dad ca into my room and demanded my radio. As he left, he turned around. He shook his head and said,"100 points? really?"

An aside is one of eBay's biggest black eyes came when someone sold a ball that allegedly the one that Wilt had in the famous picture with 100 written on it for several hundred thousand dollars. Legendary statman Harvey Pollack immediately disputed that was the ball and showed why it wasn't.

LOL, enjoy your mid-range jump shots, donks

I was actually thinking that will be the best thing to come out of this for the Spurs. Pop kills teams with movement, so defenses either have to let Derozen free to get murdered by his mid-range shots or pussy LMA is going to be wide open running baseline sideline to sideline for either dunks or corner threes.

I think they will flip Derozan when they can to either the Clippers or Lakers. Or give him a year to buy in.

I don't think any Spurs donks were expecting more - just disappointed. I did hold out hope that Magic would suck at GM like Jordan and/or Isiah Thomas and give up young assets and picks for Leonard, but he didn't.

Also, the narrative on here seems to be that the Spurs did this wisely. I disagree. I think they fucked this up. Because of the way they do business, they thought they could solve this. They wholly missed the opportunity to get young quality wings in Brown and/or Tatum when they had the chance. Hell, I think they could have got Tatum, Rozier, and Smart for Leonard six months ago. But they waited too long for Kawhi's nutsuck to distend from his body. It never did.

The Spurs can save their next season by signing HOF Oak to a minimum non guaranteed contract, which supposedly is his market.

This is prett bad for both sides, but at least the upside reward is there for the Raptors. I get that Pop didn’t want to babysit the rebuild but the Spurs are now basically locked in as the Raptors (at best) or the Hornets (at worst) of the West. Unfortunately for them, in the west the Raptors are like a 6-7 seed.

DeRozan is almost certainly past his peak and is now paired with another aging star whose game doesn’t quite fit in today’s NBA and a bunch of role players who are either 2+ years away from or past their primes. Would have been better to trade him for whatever picks/youth they could find and blow the whole thing up.

From a title or bust standpoint this kinda makes sense for the Raptors. With a healthy/engaged Kawhi this team should probably be the favorite in the East. Whether they make it to the finals or not, they are now in a position to blow it up when Kawhi walks. Giving up Poeltl is tough though.

I think they will flip Derozan when they can to either the Clippers or Lakers. Or give him a year to buy in.

I don't think any Spurs donks were expecting more - just disappointed. I did hold out hope that Magic would suck at GM like Jordan and/or Isiah Thomas and give up young assets and picks for Leonard, but he didn't.

Also, the narrative on here seems to be that the Spurs did this wisely. I disagree. I think they fucked this up. Because of the way they do business, they thought they could solve this. They wholly missed the opportunity to get young quality wings in Brown and/or Tatum when they had the chance. Hell, I think they could have got Tatum, Rozier, and Smart for Leonard six months ago. But they waited too long for Kawhi's nutsuck to distend from his body. It never did.

I disagree on both accounts. I don't think Ainge was ever giving up Tatum. I'm not sure if he was giving up Brown. I think the Spurs thought they could do with Kawhi what they did with LMA last season. It was a risk worth taking for a legit Top 5 player. It didn't pan out so they got some pieces for him.

I do agree with RC that the big issue is that this team as constructed doesn't "fit" in the NBA. Derozen will be 29 next season. He's not "old" like Lowry. He may be past his peak. But he still could be a 2nd or 3rd player on a good team. This is definitely a rebuild. The Spurs need to get or develop a legit #1 option. I don't think one is on the roster but this roster is still a playoff team.

What is sad and partially hilarious is how entrenched most on this board are. Even when something is as outrageous as RChildress' position that an upside reward is there for the Raptors, you guys can't even step up to the plate and admit he's wrong.

I fully understand that when I say this is on your guys not me that you won't get it.

Not as bad as the trades of Wilt or Kareem....or trading the rights to Bill Russell for a few nights of the Ice Capades.

I was in third grade when Wilt scored 100 points. I was listening to the game on my transistor radio when bedtime came. I was told to turn off the radio. I did.

Well for a minute. I quietly got out of bed, got the radio, put it under my pillow and put the earplug in. When Wilt scored his 100th point,I let out a little scream.

My dad ca into my room and demanded my radio. As he left, he turned around. He shook his head and said,"100 points? really?"

An aside is one of eBay's biggest black eyes came when someone sold a ball that allegedly the one that Wilt had in the famous picture with 100 written on it for several hundred thousand dollars. Legendary statman Harvey Pollack immediately disputed that was the ball and showed why it wasn't.
Well for starters, Sokolove, there is no ball in that famous photo.

r960-3acde80a9e2b9651f76c023908455789.jpg

I don't think anyone thought the spurs would get equal return. No big trade does anymore. I preferred one of their young guys vs another. Spurs decided on a big rather than a young wing. 5.75 in one hand...

They will miss green on defense. Sounds like it might be tough to get ddr to buy in defensively.

Yeah, more like the Raptors said "hell no" to OG Anunby (Kawhi Lite) and instead included Poeltl. I like Poeltl, but I liked OG better since the Spurs rotation at SF is now:

Rudy Gay
Dante Cunningham
I guess they can go small some with Bellinelli or Walker at the 3 some. Anunby was the guy they really needed here, imo.

In the current NBA, going with big centers, and then asking guys who certainly can play some PF (Gay and Cunningham) to play SF is risky.

They're still stuck with Gasol's fat contract and horrible defense, and Poeltl should take his minutes.

Kawhi will be out of Canada by next summer (but Canada is sort of like the Clippers - a big FU from Pop).

Manu is the man, but it is time.

What is sad and partially hilarious is how entrenched most on this board are. Even when something is as outrageous as RChildress' position that an upside reward is there for the Raptors, you guys can't even step up to the plate and admit he's wrong.

I fully understand that when I say this is on your guys not me that you won't get it.

I don't know if this is a real post or an "RJ" post. I do think this trade helps the Raptors with their long-term rebuild. Reports are they were trying to figure out how to get rid of Lowry and DeRozan anyway. Now they can rent Kawhi for a year and try to make a Finals run and then he leaves and they don't have DeRozan's contract anymore. Now who knows if Nurse is a good coach or if they'll be able to attract free agents, but they're in position to rebuild.

Are you looking in the mirror?

You photo has NOTHING to do with the "facts" you allege.

There is NOTHING in that photo that shows anything about the ball that allegedly the one that Wilt had in the famous picture

Are you looking in the mirror?

You photo has NOTHING to do with the "facts" you allege.

There is NOTHING in that photo that shows anything about the ball that allegedly the one that Wilt had in the famous picture

Either this series of posts or my utter confusion will be the next great ogboard meme.

Either this series of posts or my utter confusion will be the next great ogboard meme.

Are you being sarcastic?

If not give me a break. There are many people who disagree with me all the time that have nothing to do with Ayo and the "usual suspects collective". Clearly you don't understand the concept.

Now Kawhi is threatening to sit out next season.

Back