• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Nba.com has a story up stating the pic is protected to 12. I'll take it but in the east it probably won't matter.

Mid round is possible if Kawhi doesn’t play.

He “played” last year.

I’m excited about Murray especially now that he’s paired with a scorer. Derrick White and Lonnie Walker had good summer leagues. I like Bryn Forbes as a bench shooter.

I’m of the belief that you can get a good player with any pick of the draft. Sure it’s easier to get a star with a top pick. But there’s always a good player available.

This team won 47 games with LMA as the best player. It’s not crazy to think they can do better this year.

The players drafted since Duncan (including Duncan) have accounted for 194 All-NBA seasons (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team). 26 (13.4%) of those seasons have come from players taken outside the top half of the first round.

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: okay, that was actually pretty funny

And plenty of teams had the chance to draft those 26 players which was my point.

The players drafted since Duncan (including Duncan) have accounted for 194 All-NBA seasons (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team). 26 (13.4%) of those seasons have come from players taken outside the top half of the first round.
How many of those 26 were #1 options on championship teams?

And plenty of teams had the chance to draft those 26 players which was my point.

It was 26 seasons from 16 players, a lot of multiples in there.

My point is that the Spurs won’t have a chance to draft players that will account for 85% of all NBA selections. Based on the last 20 years there will be roughly 2 players taken outside the top 15 that will make an all-NBA team. The Spurs have to hope they get lucky in both identifying that player and drafting him before someone else does.

18 players drafted since Duncan have made a 1st team. 10 (accounting for 45 seasons) were taken in the top 5. Another 5 were taken in the top 10 (another 10 seasons), one in the top 15 (Kawhi - 2 seasons), and two outside the top 15 (DeAndre and Marc Gasol- 3 seasons total).

But yeah the Spurs have a great chance of finding a #1 option on their bench or through the draft. You are either delusional or trolling.

I said they can find a “good player” anywhere in the draft. Your bar for a good player is much higher than mine.

Spurs made a safe move, which isn’t the flashy move, but my guess is that they win 55+ next year. If you can win 55, it is difficult to tank. Particularly when no terrible team is going to give up multiple 1sts.

If Philly was offering saric, Roco, and the heat 1st I think that is a better deal but the Toronto trade was a pretty fair deal imo.

Yeah. I know the goal is to win championships but a 47 win team who can add pieces for free isn’t going to just tank.

I said they can find a “good player” anywhere in the draft. Your bar for a good player is much higher than mine.
Of course you can find a "good player" outside the top 15 of the first round. But it's very, very, very difficult to find a #1 option there. So if the goal is winning a championship, either tank or enjoy NBA mediocrity. Obviously the Spurs aren't gonna tank as long as Pop is there, so I guess it'll have to wait a couple years.

Spurs made a safe move, which isn’t the flashy move, but my guess is that they win 55+ next year. If you can win 55, it is difficult to tank. Particularly when no terrible team is going to give up multiple 1sts.

If Philly was offering saric, Roco, and the heat 1st I think that is a better deal but the Toronto trade was a pretty fair deal imo.

Wow.

Yeah. I know the goal is to win championships but a 47 win team who can add pieces for free isn’t going to just tank.

So the Spurs goal is to no longer win championships because they had a “free” chance to eke back to the right side of 50?

They are paying $50 million to two guys who probably max out as the third best player on a championship team and have no clear path for getting a top 10 player in the next 3-4 years. The “best” case scenario is that some of their young talent or late first round draft picks become good players in time to replace LMA and DeRozan.

I’ve seen projections as low as 39. Doesn’t make any sense. How does a 47 win team that adds an All-Star win fewer games? Y’all like Kyle Anderson that much?

Which of these teams are the Spurs finishing ahead of next season:

Warriors
Rockets
Jazz
Thunder
Timberwolves
Lakers
Pelicans
Blazers
Nuggets
Mavs
Clippers
Grizzlies
Suns
Kings

I’ve seen projections as low as 39. Doesn’t make any sense. How does a 47 win team that adds an All-Star win fewer games? Y’all like Kyle Anderson that much?

That seems way low, but I don’t see them winning much more than 47. They lost their 2nd and 4th best players and their 1st and 3rd are going to be 33 and 38 respectively. Most people aren’t as high on murray as Spurs fans. Plus the West got even more stacked.

I think people are forgetting how good Pop, LMA, and DeRozan are at grinding out regular season wins. Any Pop coached team has a built in floor but any team featuring two borderline all-stars with games stuck in the early 2000s has a built in ceiling.

Back