• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Jabari's got that pseudo-intellectual vibe going a la Kyrie.

It doesn't sacrifice their future at all. DeRozan's contract is fine for what they will get out of him for the next three years, and it is certainly less than they would have had to pay Kawhi and who knows if he would even shown up. Poeltl is a good young cheap player and they got a pick or two. Assuming the relationship with Kawhi was not going to be repaired, their future is better now than it was last week.

So still shitty.

Their future is Murray, Poeltl, Lonnie Walker, 4 mid to late first round picks over 3 drafts, and cap space. A small market team’s dream scenario for sure.

It doesn't sacrifice their future at all. DeRozan's contract is fine for what they will get out of him for the next three years, and it is certainly less than they would have had to pay Kawhi and who knows if he would even shown up. Poeltl is a good young cheap player and they got a pick or two. Assuming the relationship with Kawhi was not going to be repaired, their future is better now than it was last week.

Out of curiosity, assuming for the sake of argument this is Pop’s last year, and looking purely at where each team will be in the early 2020s, would you trade Charlotte’s future for the Spurs?

But Ainge would have given up Tatum, Brown, Rozier, and a few firsts for Kawhi a few months ago based on RC logic.

Lol. Someone’s getting salty because he realizes Smart, Rozier, and the Sacramento pick would have been better for the Spurs long term. Tatum and Brown were never on the table and I said as much two pages ago.

Michael Porter Jr. had another back surgery.

Gotta think he's going to "redshirt."

Spurs also have to deal with the reality of trying to tank in a small market. Losing games could drastically affect their bottom line. Merch, fans etc. Better off staying relevant.

Spurs also have to deal with the reality of trying to tank in a small market. Losing games could drastically affect their bottom line. Merch, fans etc. Better off staying relevant.

That’s fair. The most Spurs (I.e. smart) play there is still to take the RoCo, Saric, and Miami pick offer. You get a better prospect and pick and although DeRozan is certainly better than RoCo, the difference value each player provides in today’s NBA, especially in the Spurs system, isn’t that big.

I was reading a Kawhi fallout article that mentioned how Tatum had one of the best seasons by a 19 year old in NBA history. I didn't realize it was *that* good, but sure enough...

https://www.basketball-reference.co...os_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&order_by=ws

#2 all-time in Win Shares. Jesus.

As a few recall, I said this time last year that he was the best player in the draft and it wasn't even close. And many said that was laughable - that he was a Dukie, his shot sucked, he was too timid, he was not super athletic, etc...

This year my money is on Bagley with the caveat being I have never seen the Euro kid in Dallas that Atlanta gave away for Steph Curry's dumbshit little brother (they better fucking hope he is half as good but I have my doubts).

The one other factor is that its hard to fault a team for trying to win now.

Yes, it may cost the Spurs down the line, but tanking is hardly a guarantee for success. See Orlando or Sacramento.

Even though GSW seems like a lock next year (and Houston seems the likely closest pursuer); not unheard of for a team to lose two star players to injury: see Boston this past year). Both Curry and Durant have missed significant time for injuries, and while the Spurs can't beat GSW or probably Houston if either are healthy, but what if both teams lose key pieces during next season? Then, the picture changes.

The one other factor is that its hard to fault a team for trying to win now.

Yes, it may cost the Spurs down the line, but tanking is hardly a guarantee for success. See Orlando or Sacramento.

Even though GSW seems like a lock next year (and Houston seems the likely closest pursuer); not unheard of for a team to lose two star players to injury: see Boston this past year). Both Curry and Durant have missed significant time for injuries, and while the Spurs can't beat GSW or probably Houston if either are healthy, but what if both teams lose key pieces during next season? Then, the picture changes.

Again, even if that’s the case the Philly deal makes more sense.

If Steph, KD, Chris, and James Harden all get hurt next year then the Spurs will still be lucky to make it past the second round.

What are the chances either Kawhi or DeRozan pull up lame for their physical to really make things fun and stick it to their current teams????

As a few recall, I said this time last year that he was the best player in the draft and it wasn't even close. And many said that was laughable - that he was a Dukie, his shot sucked, he was too timid, he was not super athletic, etc...

This year my money is on Bagley with the caveat being I have never seen the Euro kid in Dallas that Atlanta gave away for Steph Curry's dumbshit little brother (they better fucking hope he is half as good but I have my doubts).

Doncic is about to have a Chris Paul-esque Rookie year and sneak the Mavs into the playoffs

Definitely this. The Spurs' brand is being consistent winners, the Patriots or Steelers of the NBA. Letting Kawhi damage that brand would be a huge long term blow to the franchise. You just don't tank when you know you can make the playoffs.

Definitely this. The Spurs' brand is being consistent winners, the Patriots or Steelers of the NBA. Letting Kawhi damage that brand would be a huge long term blow to the franchise. You just don't tank when you know you can make the playoffs.

Meh, the Rockets were consistent winners for a decade before they landed Chris Paul. The Spurs have been consistent contenders. There’s a difference.

Back