• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

You said 50 was a given.

There are no givens in the NBA. I am not a #spursdonk, but I have a difficult time with any opinion that undersells Pop's value as a coach. The guy is a genius...But let's compare the rosters from last year:

17-18:
PG: DeJounte Murray
SG: Danny Green
SF: Kyle Anderson
PF: Pau Gasol
FC: Lamarcus Aldridge

RV: Rudy Gay
RV: Patty Mills
RV: Manu Ginobli
RV: Bryn Forbes
RV: Davis Pertans
RV: Tony Parker

18-19:
SG: Demar Derozan
SF: Marco Bellinelli
FC: LaMarcus Aldridge

RV: Jacob Poeltl
RV: Lonnie Walker

17-18 won 47 games. They are younger, more athletic, and a better shooting team than last year.

They essentially traded:
Tony Parker (Charlotte) - awful last year
Danny Green (Toronto) - excellent defender, but literally can do nothing but shoot spot up threes on offense (37.6, 39.2, 38.7 FG for the past 3 years)
Kyle Anderson (Memphis) - decent role player, who can fill a lot of gaps

and in return received:
Demar Derozan (Trade) - legitimate allstar, offensively focused, but not a complete zero on defense
Jacob Poeltl (Trade) - excellent reserve big man who can really defend and has a versatile offensive game
Lonnie Walker (Draft) - Lottery type talent, big time athlete and potential defender
Marco Belinelli (FA) - replaces Green's shooting, and more diverse offensive game.

Its hard for me to believe that anyone wouldn't see this years squad as SIGNIFICANTLY better than last years. Particularly when you consider that your star player was causing all sorts of unrest behind the scenes. Obviously a healthy and happy Kawhi is better than Demar, Poehtl, and a pick but this trade helped them become a playoff team once again. It is pointless to chase the Warriors in 4 years. This isn't a 45 win Eastern Team squad. This is an experienced, talented team with the best coach in the game (and one of the best of all time). If they stay reasonably healthy, I will be absolutely floored if they don't win 50 games. My guess is that they win 56. I don't want to bet anything, but that is my prediction. Pop is the real deal, and they have a deep and versatile lineup that has a nice identity. If you add a Jimmy Butler next year, this team becomes extremely dangerous.

They aren't going to beat a healthy Warriors team or Rockets team, but no is anyone else. Doesn't mean you can't put a team out there that could win a championship in the case of an unusual circumstance with 2 other teams. Other than those two teams, the Spurs could absolutely beat anyone else in a 7 game series.

Edited to add: Poeltl is a perfect Spurs type player, and he is going to be really good for them for a long time. They get him team controlled for 3 years, and will absolutely resign him for his prime years. As Gasol ages out (he will be gone for sure in 2, and I could foresee a scenario that moves him next summer to clear space for Butler) Poeltl will join LMA in the frontcourt. Murray, Derozan, Butler, Poeltl, LMA with a deep bench is a really good team in a year....

Last edited:
OKC trades Melo and protected 1st to Hawks for Schroder and Muscala. Hawks will waive Melo.

There are no givens in the NBA. I am not a #spursdonk, but I have a difficult time with any opinion that undersells Pop's value as a coach. The guy is a genius...But let's compare the rosters from last year:

17-18:
SG: Danny Green
SF: Kyle Anderson
FC: Lamarcus Aldridge

RV: Bryn Forbes
RV: Davis Pertans
RV: Tony Parker

18-19:
SG: Demar Derozan
SF: Marco Bellinelli
FC: LaMarcus Aldridge

RV: Jacob Poeltl
RV: Lonnie Walker

17-18 won 47 games. They are younger, more athletic, and a better shooting team than last year.

They essentially traded:
Tony Parker (Charlotte) - awful last year
Danny Green (Toronto) - excellent defender, but literally can do nothing but shoot spot up threes on offense (37.6, 39.2, 38.7 FG for the past 3 years)
Kyle Anderson (Memphis) - decent role player, who can fill a lot of gaps

and in return received:
Demar Derozan (Trade) - legitimate allstar, offensively focused, but not a complete zero on defense
Jacob Poeltl (Trade) - excellent reserve big man who can really defend and has a versatile offensive game
Lonnie Walker (Draft) - Lottery type talent, big time athlete and potential defender
Marco Belinelli (FA) - replaces Green's shooting, and more diverse offensive game.

Its hard for me to believe that anyone wouldn't see this years squad as SIGNIFICANTLY better than last years. Particularly when you consider that your star player was causing all sorts of unrest behind the scenes. Obviously a healthy and happy Kawhi is better than Demar, Poehtl, and a pick but this trade helped them become a playoff team once again. It is pointless to chase the Warriors in 4 years. This isn't a 45 win Eastern Team squad. This is an experienced, talented team with the best coach in the game (and one of the best of all time). If they stay reasonably healthy, I will be absolutely floored if they don't win 50 games. My guess is that they win 56. I don't want to bet anything, but that is my prediction. Pop is the real deal, and they have a deep and versatile lineup that has a nice identity. If you add a Jimmy Butler next year, this team becomes extremely dangerous.

They aren't going to beat a healthy Warriors team or Rockets team, but no is anyone else. Doesn't mean you can't put a team out there that could win a championship in the case of an unusual circumstance with 2 other teams. Other than those two teams, the Spurs could absolutely beat anyone else in a 7 game series.

L O L

56 wins?

Y’all lost your second best player that actually played and one of maybe 10 guys that can guard Lebron, KD, Harden, etc.

Let’s assume for the moment that DeRozan makes up for that. I disagree but that’s at least a reasonable opinion.

Lonnie Walker, Belinelli, and Poeltl are worth 9 wins???

And that’s ignoring that the 47 win team y’all keep slobbering sucked against the teams in the West actually trying to compete.

Edited to add: Poeltl is a perfect Spurs type player, and he is going to be really good for them for a long time. They get him team controlled for 3 years, and will absolutely resign him for his prime years. As Gasol ages out (he will be gone for sure in 2, and I could foresee a scenario that moves him next summer to clear space for Butler) Poeltl will join LMA in the frontcourt. Murray, Derozan, Butler, Poeltl, LMA with a deep bench is a really good team in a year....

The Spurs haven't had a young (24 years or younger) true post player in the rotation since young Timmy. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

L O L

56 wins?

Y’all lost your second best player that actually played and one of maybe 10 guys that can guard Lebron, KD, Harden, etc.

Let’s assume for the moment that DeRozan makes up for that. I disagree but that’s at least a reasonable opinion.

Lonnie Walker, Belinelli, and Poeltl are worth 9 wins???

And that’s ignoring that the 47 win team y’all keep slobbering sucked against the teams in the West actually trying to compete.

That’s why it’s a prediction. I am not guaranteeing anything. Just what I think will happen. It’s not like I am gonna self ban myself if it doesn’t come true. .

Where would you put them? 45 wins? 50?

A protected 2022 and Anderson is a good get for Schroder.

You mean Anthony. Yeah. That is really good. A pick and salary clearance.

No. Justin Anderson. It's a 3-way deal and they're cutting Anthony. I figured they wouldn't get more than a 2nd for Schroder.

They gave up Muscala to get Anderson though. Seems about an equal trade with Philly.

Yeah. The pick is the thing.

So still shitty.

Their future is Murray, Poeltl, Lonnie Walker, 4 mid to late first round picks over 3 drafts, and cap space. A small market team’s dream scenario for sure.

You left out the likely potential for 3 playoff appearances in the next 3 years, which is the most important part of their future.

Out of curiosity, assuming for the sake of argument this is Pop’s last year, and looking purely at where each team will be in the early 2020s, would you trade Charlotte’s future for the Spurs?

No, because (a) I think/hope we got their better assistant than whichever remaining one will take over for Pop; and (b) I think Kemba surrounded by Monk/Bacon/Bridges/MKG/Hernangomez/etc. in the East is better over the next few years than DeRozan and his supporting cast in the West. I could be wrong, but I think that Monk and Bacon will blow up this year out from under Clifford, and I've always hated LMA's game. That said, I would gladly assume their future to let Pop ride out his career if their past came along with it.

After the DeRozan trade, Steph Curry is the only player from the 2009 draft who is still with the team that drafted him

24 players played in the 2017 NBA All Star game. 12 of them have switched teams in the past year.

Carmelo could potentially fit on the Lakers, Raptors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, and...Pacers? He's probably going to finish his career jacking up midrange jumpers on a bad team. Hornets?

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: okay, that was actually pretty funny

Pelton gave the Spurs a D grade on the trade and thinks they’ll be worse next year because they’ll have TERRIBLE defense at the 2-3 spots.

Last edited:
Back