• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

How happy will Rozier, Brown and Tatum be playing many fewer minutes this year?

Brown and Tatum will not be playing fewer minutes.

Yeah, but I mean in the "anything can happen" sphere, BOS is a legit 10 deep and fairly interchangeable. Betting on Embiid to stay healthy for a full season seems way riskier. I think -200 is closer, I may up and jump on -120 myself.

Good point on Embiid. No way I wager on the 76ers to come out of the East. Injury concerns and some obvious holes that still remain.

I'm less concerned about injuries for Boston than I am about chemistry and style of play issues. They looked pretty good in the playoffs last year without a real alpha by sharing the basketball and knocking down open shots. How does that change as Tatum and Brown continue to improve (and earn larger roles), Hayward gets healthy, and Kyrie dominates the ball? I mean, it is an embarrassment of riches to a degree, and you have Stevens around to figure it out, but we still haven't seen that team on the floor. Also, does the defense improve or get worse with Hayward & Irving? I'll pass on the -120 until I see them play a bit... And if it goes to -200, I'll wager on something else (like UNDER the Wake Forest football win total).

There’s a reason the Spurs 3P% tanked across the board last year. Kawhi creates open looks for other guys that weren’t there last year and that DeRozan won’t be able to create. Belinelli’s 3P shooting has been as up and down across his career as Danny Green’s has. He’s a better mid-range shooter but it’s hard to see the Spurs offense improving much by going all in on mid-range jumpers.

The potential for a fall off on defense is huge. If Popovich can put out another top 5 defense with this roster it will be the greatest accomplishment of his career. It’s hard to overstate the drop off from Green to DeRozan on D and the Spurs also lost Anderson who was arguably their second best defender last year behind Murray.

You can still win in the NBA by slowing the pace, taking high percentage 2P shots and limiting your opponents 3P attempts, but the margin for error on the defensive side is small. The 3>2 math gets bad real quick with even a slight slip on the defensive end.

Pop’s a wizard and his staff is capable of innovating on the fly, but it looks like a pretty tall task

Good coaching is pretty important. Last year's Spurs team should have never made the playoffs. They are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Enough Spurs talk though...I am REALLY looking forward to the Eastern Conference race this year. I hope that Kawhi plays (still not sure he will), because Toronto, Philly, and Boston would make a great race. Myboi Markelle is going to find his jumpshot again and be the comeback player of the year....

They'll both average around 30 MPG, which is what they played this year.

Kyrie 32
Horford 32
Hayward 30
Brown 30
Tatum 30
Morris 24
Smart 22
Rozier 22
Baynes 18

Give or take.

YOU created the artificial concept of up to 30 MPG, not RJ.

FUCK YOU for being such a condescending asshole!

Let him now to your superiority. After all that is your goal here.

Good coaching is pretty important. Last year's Spurs team should have never made the playoffs. They are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Enough Spurs talk though...I am REALLY looking forward to the Eastern Conference race this year. I hope that Kawhi plays (still not sure he will), because Toronto, Philly, and Boston would make a great race. Myboi Markelle is going to find his jumpshot again and be the comeback player of the year....

Agreed. It’s why that roster will be better than .500 next year in a loaded Western Conference.

Pop's a good coach? Seems a good coach wouldn't have ran out a top 3 player in the league. Also probably shoulda left Duncan in during crunch time to get a rebound given he's like one of the best 10 players of all time.

The C's will move Morris by the trade deadline to get under the luxury tax threshold (with the hope that one of Yabusele or Bird plays their way into the rotation), anyway, so the argument is p stupid and moot.

Never mind the fact that, no, Tatum and Brown are not going to be playing reduced minutes regardless of what happens with Morris.

Last edited:
Pop may be great at coaching a system, but his move to pull Duncan in the last minute vs. the Heat goes down as one of the all time dumbest moves ever in NBA or college. I remember screaming at him at the time as to what in the world was he doing and you could just see the complete look of dismay on Timmy's face. It was a case where Timmy knew he should be and wanted to be in, but he also had such great respect for Pop as a coach and friend. That cost Timmy his 6th ring as I have no doubt Timmy gets the rebound and there is no Heat heroics to tie it and send it onto OT.

How do you pull one of the all time greats in a clear possible rebounding situation and he was nowhere near foul trouble and clearly at the end where Spurs were a lock to win if they just do the basics.

So painful to relive just thinking about it.

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: guys there's a spursdonks thread for a reason

meh they probably don’t repeat

Pop's a good coach? Seems a good coach wouldn't have ran out a top 3 player in the league. Also probably shoulda left Duncan in during crunch time to get a rebound given he's like one of the best 10 players of all time.

palma's a good guy? Seems a good guy wouldn't have reneged on paying into a fantasy hoops league when he didn't like his drafted team. Also probably shoulda paid up before the avalanche of criticism.

Obama's a good president? Seems a good president wouldn't have let his successor be such a douchebag. Also probably should have had outed him as a russian stoogie BEFORE the election.

Go. Now you try.

He’s not good. He is an all time great. It’s not even remotely an argument.

I will be shocked if the Spurs make 3 playoffs the next 3 years

The Spurs franchise has played 50 seasons between the ABA and NBA. They missed the playoffs 5 times and have had 8 losing seasons. It would be interesting to compare the history of teams that have used tanking as a strategy. How many years of tanking did it take Philly to become relevant again?

An alternative to the Kawhi injury is that he's afraid to be the 'guy' which he would need to be in SA or Toronto. Better to go to LA and play under the shadow of LeBron.

And given Kawhi's decisions I think it's fair to look at his body of post season work. His coming out party was in the finals vs. the Heat where Pop kicked him in the ass and told hm he needed to take over. Next year 1st round exit to Clippers. Timmy's final year, 2nd round ousted by OKC. Next, his fame was having the Spurs ups by 20+ at GSW before his injury, maybe he would have made the difference, but could he have really carried the Spurs past the GSW, 1/2 of one game is not a very good benchmark, especially in the NBA where big leads are generally temporary.

The body of evidence is that he's a great player but is he a leader that could take the pressure of being the #1 guy year after year?

Back