• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Agree to disagree. If I was a team like the Hawks I would take Eric Gordon/Ryan Anderson and Houston's 2019/2021 firsts for nothing back. Maybe you are right, but I think Morey can do it if Lebron wants to come there.

Agreed. I think a number of teams would take Gordon or Anderson with a first round pick

Pistons interviewed John Beilein on Thursday.

Agreed. I think a number of teams would take Gordon or Anderson with a first round pick

Your Rockets fandom is showing. :)

A first round pick from the Rockets is effectively a 2nd Round pick. They won't get anything higher than #27.

BTW- Atlanta isn't a destination unless they find a sucker to take Schroeder or Bazemore. After signing the #3 pick, the Hawks will only be about $18-20M under the cap. Sactown has cap space, but their owner loves Buddy Heild and will add either Doncic or Bagley.

There are virtually no teams that can take both contracts. If you don't take both, the draft pick that goes with Anderson is all but worthless.

Yea, LeBron to Houston is (strange as it may sound) all about Ryan Anderson. Moving his salary is the first necessary (but not sufficient) condition to start the ball rolling. The real trick would be finding a way to keep Chris, get LeBron, and not have to give up Eric Gordon in the process. Not sure I see any way to do it but stranger things have happened.

I don't think stretching Anderson will work. The cap hit would still be too large.

I think they would want to move Eric Gordon to create an asset that could be paired with Anderson. 3 team trade. Gordon/Anderson don't have to go to the same team.

If they picked up a strong first round pick for Eric Gordon I think multiple teams would eat Anderson to acquire that pick & Rockets picks.

Yea, LeBron to Houston is (strange as it may sound) all about Ryan Anderson. Moving his salary is the first necessary (but not sufficient) condition to start the ball rolling. The real trick would be finding a way to keep Chris, get LeBron, and not have to give up Eric Gordon in the process. Not sure I see any way to do it but stranger things have happened.

Keeping Capela and Tucker (7m hold Capela + 8m Tucker salary) is more important than keeping Gordon.

A team with CP, Harden, and Lebron doesn't really need a Gordon. They could get a cheaper bench shooter or maybe a decent 3 and D guy as long as it's somebody who doesn't need the ball in his hands and can hit an open jumper. They would probably be fine bringing Korver over with Lebron, keeping Green for cheap, and getting a young guard with potential and/or drafting an athletic guard.

Last edited:
I think a bigger hurdle than moving Anderson out will be convincing Paul/Lebron to take the pay cut to only take 55-60mm combined. But no state taxes in Texas and general hate for the Warriors might be enough.

I think a bigger hurdle than moving Anderson out will be convincing Paul/Lebron to take the pay cut to only take 55-60mm combined. But no state taxes in Texas and general hate for the Warriors might be enough.

They can't get that much. Here's Hoopshype

https://www.bradschmett.net/homes/78694-Hampshire-Avenue/Palm-Desert/CA/92211/83871570/

If you take Anderson and Gordon completely off the books they would be at $52M (including $7M for Capela). They'd have six completely open slots. That's got to be another $6M for a total of $58M. The cap is $101M.

That's not close to $57M.

They can't get that much. Here's Hoopshype

https://www.bradschmett.net/homes/78694-Hampshire-Avenue/Palm-Desert/CA/92211/83871570/

If you take Anderson and Gordon completely off the books they would be at $52M (including $7M for Capela). They'd have six completely open slots. That's got to be another $6M for a total of $58M. The cap is $101M.

That's not close to $57M.

What are you talking about. You don't have to save money for the open slots. You can sign vet mins after you are over the cap. And they can easily clear Nene on a 2/7 deal and the other contracts aren't gtd. I thought cap was proj at 102 and that gets you to 57m.

To get Lebron the Rockets would clear their roster to containing only:

Harden: 30.4m
Tucker: 8m
Capela: 7m cap hold

Renounce bird rights to Chris Paul. And then have 55-58m of cap space depending where cap comes in. Sign Paul and James for the full amount of cap space. Use bird rights to pay Capela. Then get creative with the bench.

This isn't some crazy tin-foil hat theory either. Lebron to Houston is definitely on the table according to the NBA news insiders.

Also if Lebron announces he is leaving the Cavs could opt to sign and trade Lebron to Houston and get Anderson/Gordon/picks. Then Houston would re-sign Paul & Ariza with bird.

The only reason I doubt this path is I don't think Dan Gilbert would be willing to keep paying the luxury tax bill without a title contender, even though the sign/trade helps the Cavs on the basketball side.

That's why I think the more likely path is Houston just clearing the books.

What are you talking about. You don't have to save money for the open slots. You can sign vet mins after you are over the cap. And they can easily clear Nene on a 2/7 deal and the other contracts aren't gtd. I thought cap was proj at 102 and that gets you to 57m.

You have to save money for the open slots. They each have a cap hold equal to the vet min.

You absolutely have to set aside an amount for every slot.

And Nene is guaranteed.

You are simply wrong.

You have to save money for the open slots. They each have a cap hold equal to the vet min.

Sigh, sorry to RJ. I'll stop posting.

I found it, It's the rookie min to get to 12 slots. So about 5mm of cap space gone for 9 holds. So yeah, looking at 51-52mm of Rockets cap space they can clear, not 56-57mm.

Last edited:
If they can dump Nene...you have a lot of assumptions.

But thanks.

Last edited:
rj wins again

has anyone ever actually proven rj wrong?

i think not!

A guy with a hinkie avatar losing a cap battle to RJ has gotta sting! Trust the Karl.

Back