• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

Sunday night Game 7 to Wednesday night Game 1 for Atlanta

Friday night Game 7 to Sunday afternoon Game 1 for LA. That is a big difference.

And to Juice's point earlier, if you make ECF Game 1 tonight, and WCF Game 2 tomorrow, then both Hawks and Clippers had roughly same rest and you dont have 2 WCF games played before ECF Game 1

The scheduling is flawed. Apparently, ESPN/ABC gets the WCF and TNT has the ECF this year, and ESPN and ABC were guaranteed games Sunday and Tuesday (because the lottery is tonight, and ESPN wants a game to pair it with). So, the NBA allowed the WCF to get out two games ahead of the ECF. If the Bucks sweep the Hawks, and the Suns/Clips play a long series it won't matter. If the Suns/Clips have a short series and the Bucks/Hawks is extended, then things will get more out of whack.

FWIW: here are the NBA lottery percentages:
In the flattened lottery system, the odds of a team moving up outside the top three -- as compared to year's past -- is higher. But it's still relatively low, considering the chances the top three worst-record teams each has 14% odds, accounting for 42% of the total odds to win the No. 1 slot.

Houston Rockets 14.0%
Detroit Pistons 14.0%
Orlando Magic 14.0%
Oklahoma City Thunder 11.5%
Cleveland Cavaliers 11.5%
Minnesota Timberwolves 9.0%
Toronto Raptors 7.5%
Chicago Bulls 4.5%
Sacramento Kings 4.5%
New Orleans Pelicans 4.5%
Charlotte Hornets 1.8%
San Antonio Spurs 1.7%
Indiana Pacers 1.0%
Golden State Warriors 0.5%

This is another factor why tanking is not a reliable "process". You can suck for an entire season and your odds of getting the top pick are 14%. The odds of getting a top 3 pick is less then 50%.

Official 2020-21 NBA Conference Finals - Suns/Clips and Bucks/Hawks

The big deal is that it's a brutal turnaround and pretty terrible for players' health and well-being. Soft tissue and ligament/tendon injuries have been out of control this year and my hunch is that the condensed schedule explains some of that. Clippers basically punted Game 1 to make sure that nobody put on too much mileage after the 36 hour turnaround and were lucky to leave with only one dude banged up, imo.

Bodies need time to rest. Even really built, well-conditioned bodies.

If the Clippers didn’t win Game 6 vs the Jazz, that 3:30 game would have been Game 7 instead of a Game 1. Brutal either way.

I agree that the brutal turnaround is a big deal but that’s a general NBA problem beyond the East getting two days and the West getting one to sync up the contracted schedule.

Pretty damning statement from Mann’s mom. It means something for a current WNBA assistant to take an overt shot at a current NBA head coach and long time player.

Last edited:
If the Clippers didn’t win Game 6 vs the Jazz, that 3:30 game would have been Game 7 instead of a Game 1. Brutal either way.

I agree that the brutal turnaround is a big deal but that’s a general NBA problem beyond the East getting two days and the West getting one to sync up the contracted schedule.

Pretty damning statement from Mann’s mom. It means something for a current WNBA assistant to take an overt shot at a current NBA head coach and long time player.

My hunch is that we'll see more statements like this in the future. Doc shouldn't have thrown Ben Simmons under the bus publicly like that. Regardless of how fans feel about Simmons, players definitely saw that and took exception.

It shouldn’t be that controversial for a coach to say a 6-11 player who can’t shoot and won’t shoot may not be a championship PG. Doc didn’t rule out playing him as a wing and small ball 5.

He had a positive test but has been asymptomatic.

Probably shouild be testing three times a day to get the first negative test out of the way.

I saw today he was vaccinated. I'm no doctor but I'm guessing it's a false positive. He needs 2 negative test at least 24 hours apart from what I understand.

It shouldn’t be that controversial for a coach to say a 6-11 player who can’t shoot and won’t shoot may not be a championship PG. Doc didn’t rule out playing him as a wing and small ball 5.

You just don't slam a guy like that publicly after a brutal loss. I read it as a frustrated deflection from the "Doc Rivers blows it AGAIN in the playoffs" narrative.

If you really feel that way about the player, bench him until he makes the improvements you want to see. Don’t put him in the same situation over and over again and expect different results.

On the flip side, I think Embiid shut down all the critics. He was fantastic. Sure he had the turnovers and sure he fell apart in the 4th. But he had to carry the entire Process on his back while injured. I think some of the anti-Doc and Ben sentiment is sympathy for Embiid.

it shouldn't be controversial because that's just how friends talk

especially in the modern nba where money isn't really important

On the flip side, I think Embiid shut down all the critics. He was fantastic. Sure he had the turnovers and sure he fell apart in the 4th. But he had to carry the entire Process on his back while injured. I think some of the anti-Doc and Ben sentiment is sympathy for Embiid.

Yea I didn’t post it here but the Sixers Athletic.com guy’s article was about how the Sixers that failed the Process (Joel). They’ve wasted multiple years of his prime now.

I feel like Jokic and Embiid are giving us a glimpse at what Arvydas Sabonis and Wilt were like in their primes.

The Lottery show would be better if they spent less time telling what could happen depending on the lottery and just have the lottery and spend more time talking about what will happen. They could even drag out the tension. Announce 11-14 at the beginning. Spend a minute or two on what each team could do with each pick. Then keep going.

Top 4 are Raptors, Cavs, Pistons, Rockets in some order. Magic dropped to #5. I'll be pissed if the sorry-ass Cavs get the #1 pick again.

Last edited:
Even if Doc feels that way, it's only gonna fuel the fire to respond the way he (and Embiid) did to reporters. Dwight Howard could give them a clinic on PR:

https://streamable.com/ikvnyf

edit to add that I can't really blame a player like Embiid for not having the perfect canned answer after a tough game 7 loss. but i agree with the poster above that when Doc doesn't come out and support Ben or even competently dodge the question, it feels like a deflection or an "I didn't have the tools everyone thought I did, it wasn't my fault" answer

Last edited:
Damn. That was a good response. Dwight has taken plenty of heat in his career so he gets it. Nobody cared about Doc as a player.

Pistons with the #1 pick looking at this rotation for next year?

PG Hayes
SG Cunningham
SF Bey
PF Grant
C Plumlee

Bench: Smith Jr, Diallo, Jackson, Doumbouya, Stewart

If they stay healthy and try, they could contend for a play-in spot. Probably a year or two away though.

Last edited:
Clippers trying to provoke the Suns

hard to think of a much better guy than Bevo for provocation

If I am the Suns I am not feeling too good about the fact that Booker and Crowder have 2, the Clips are shooting like shit, and the lead is only 3

Back