• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

He was questionable and available today. I doubt he’ll play on Friday and I guess he’ll get some rotation minutes in the 1st half in Games 3 and 4. He’s actually never played for Nate.

Trying to think of recent playoff runs like this by a young core in their first maybe second playoff appearance. The Warriors’ first playoff with Steph, Klay, Barnes, and Draymond in 2013 and the Thunder’s second playoff with KD, Russ, and Harden 2011. What the Hawks are doing is incredible because this talent isn’t at the level of those teams but the team is constructed so well.

sorry MY BUCKS fans I couldn't watch the game b/c early flight and this country isn't NBA game friendly

Suns have a real opportunity with CP3 likely playing tonight and this Hawks/Bucks series looking like a battle.

Bud seems to like Connaughton as that next guy in the small lineup.

I like Portis. I'd love for the Spurs to get him as a UFA next year.

Portis, yes.

Injured, and expected to be injured all the time, Kevin Love, no. Will not play 50% of games and will be injured, if Spurs make playoffs.

Now a dude like Portis - definitely. I always thought Pop could coach up a guy like Montrezl H. or Kelly Oubre, too. Spurs DO appear to have an interest in Oubre right now.

If they could somehow manage losing Demar, but signing Portis AND Oubre, they would have a nice roster next year.

Kevin Love is on some Blake shit right now.

He had 30/14 in his last game. On the Spurs, he’d be at something like 18/8 and possibly the best player on the team.

I do not want Oubre. I’d rather roll with the current guards or draft a three-level scorer.

The Spurs roster is a mess. I like the players and they have potential. But the only current key piece for a contending team is a good defensive C on a good contract. The rest is up for grabs. If they can get a Booker or Mitchell with the #12, they need to do it. Rest of the roster be damned. I like Vassell but they should have done that with Halliburton last year.

I’m really enjoying teams underestimating Trae in game 1s of series. Playing drop coverage with Brook Lopez against Trae’s PnR is a phenomenally terrible idea

Agreed. It's driving me nuts.

Yeah. I’m not sure what Lopez’ role is going to be in this series. He’s only played 20 min today. They don’t need him to defend Capela. He doesn’t match up well with Collins.

The Lopez bros are the ultimate NBA goons. If he is going to play drop coverage then every time Trae puts up that floater Lopez needs to put him on the floor like the old Jordan Rules. He has 6 fouls and sucks, there is no other reason for him to be out there but to lay Trae out.

At least the refs didn't ruin this game like the one the night before. And that backboard dunk was sick. Not LaMelo to Miles sick, but damn good.

Sorry if this was already posted on this thread, but John Collins is making himself a ton of money as he plays a key part of the ATL run. He's only 23, and has proven that he can be part of an NBA Championship level Big 3.

He's going to make life changing money shortly.

Here is the anticipated max contract amounts for a player, who has less than six years in the NBA (like Collins) and signs with a new team this offseason:

Year
2021/22 $28,103,550
2022/23 $29,508,728
2023/24 $30,913,906
2024/25 $32,319,084
Total $120,845,268

Atlanta can go over that amount (up to $163 million) to sign him, but they will need to save money to max out Trae and others.

Sorry if this was already posted on this thread, but John Collins is making himself a ton of money as he plays a key part of the ATL run. He's only 23, and has proven that he can be part of an NBA Championship level Big 3.

Here is the anticipated max contract amounts for a player, who has less than six years in the NBA (like Collins) and signs with a new team this offseason:

Year
2021/22 $28,103,550
2022/23 $29,508,728
2023/24 $30,913,906
2024/25 $32,319,084
Total $120,845,268

Atlanta can go over that amount (up to $163 million) to sign him, but they will need to save money to max out Trae and others.

Just to clarify this, Collins is a restricted FA. I'd be utterly shocked if ATL lets him sign with another team, regardless of the contract size. He'll find the biggest offer sheet that he can from another team and ATL will match it.

Year
2021/22 $28,103,550
2022/23 $29,508,728
2023/24 $30,913,906
2024/25 $32,319,084
Total $120,845,268

I see the John Collins Vert-Max Training Room in the Shah Basketball Complex on the horizon.

Last edited:
I see the John Collins Vert-Max Training Room in the Shah Training Complex on the horizon.

AKA the Baptismal Pool

Rick Carlisle back to the Pacers. 4 years/$29M.

Remember the comments when the Hawks signed Capela about how it meant they didn't want Collins?

Yeah. Because Collins had been playing a lot of 5 before Capela. The Hawks front office was clearly preparing to move on from Collins if the price got too steep though. Signing Gallo and picking Okongwu were clear signs.

But it's pretty much guaranteed Collins will get max offers and the Hawks will match.

Kevin Love is on some Blake shit right now.

He had 30/14 in his last game. On the Spurs, he’d be at something like 18/8 and possibly the best player on the team.

I do not want Oubre. I’d rather roll with the current guards or draft a three-level scorer.

The Spurs roster is a mess. I like the players and they have potential. But the only current key piece for a contending team is a good defensive C on a good contract. The rest is up for grabs. If they can get a Booker or Mitchell with the #12, they need to do it. Rest of the roster be damned. I like Vassell but they should have done that with Halliburton last year.

I am a little higher on the current guys, realizing this is not a Spurs thread, but I could live with:

D Murray
D White
Oubre (or some other SF who can shoot)?
Portis?
Poeltl

Rotation/bench: Lonnie W, Keldon J, Vassell, any backup PG (pick #12?), any backup C not listed below.

Guys like Samanic, Dieng, definitely Lyles, Eubanks, probably Gay and Patty Mills - got to go.

I know Love came on at the end of the year (I get your argument), but I can't imagine he plays 50% of the games next year. He'll get worked over in the Olympics, as the only size behind Bam Adebayo.

I could see Pop signing nobody, and just plugging Keldon and Vassell into the lineup and rolling with that - which truly is a mess.

I spent some time digging into Hawks playoff stats, found some interesting stuff.

1. Collins and Gallo are +9.1 points per 100 possessions as a two man combo in 148 minutes together. Some of that is driven by 21:09 of the 5 man lineup of Trae, Bogdan, Gallo, Collins, Capela that abused the Sixers to the tune of +45.1 pts/100 poss, but I'm still pleased that number is so positive considering a lot of those 148 minutes came without a true center on the floor. In the regular season Collins/Gallo together were only +1.7 in 406 minutes together, so they've been playing together way more frequently and way more successfully in the playoffs compared to regular season.

2. The Hawks have an ORtg of 115.0 in 501 minutes with Trae on the floor. The Hawks have an ORtg of 95.1 in 124 minutes without Trae. A swing of 19.9 seems massive to me, and it really underscores how the entirety of the offense goes through Trae. It also shows that guys like Lou Williams aren't doing a good enough job when Trae is sitting. In the regular season Ortg went from 120.5 to 108.1 with Trae sitting, so still a big swing but the non-Trae minutes were much better offensively. The opponents' ORtg with/without Trae improves by 5.3 (110.3 to 105.0), so the Hawks are somewhat better defensively when Trae sits, but it doesn't do near enough to compensate for his offensive impact.

As an interesting side note, the Bucks ORtg goes from 109.7 in 467 minutes with Giannis to 109.6 in 120 minutes without Giannis. So barely any different at all. But they give up an opponent's 112.6 ORtg without him compared to a 103.0 with him, suggesting that Giannis has actually made a bigger positive impact defensively than offensively in these playoffs, at least compared to the bench options for when Giannis sits.

I wonder if this ultimately ends up benefiting the Suns/CP3. Obviously only in hindsight because they are up 2-0 but he’s had a week+ off in the middle of the playoffs when he otherwise would have played 70 minutes minimum the first two games of the series.

Back