• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

That's awesome. Maybe we'll do a Comic Book Media thread and NBA thread crossover to celebrate. Next week, we can do a cross-thread discussion about which NBA players to cast as Marvel heroes and villains and which Marvel heroes and villains would make the best NBA team.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/cul...-nba-special-edition-marvel-s-arena-of-heroes

After a narrow victory over an invading alien army, the Avengers receive an ominous threat from the enemy who vows to return in greater numbers and force. The Black Panther and Iron Man quickly realize they will need more help and form a plan to expand their ranks to fight this impending threat. Recognizing the superior physical abilities, agility, and tenacity of Earth’s greatest athletes, the Avengers will hold a series of contests where the winners earn the right to train and fight alongside them as Marvel’s Champions! The Avengers will begin their recruitment with the NBA elite and observe the battle between the Warriors and the Pelicans, focusing on three star players from each team.

Golden State Warriors:

• Stephen Curry, three-time NBA Champion and two-time NBA MVP;
  • Draymond Green, three-time NBA Champion;
  • Andrew Wiggins, 2014-15 NBA Rookie of the Year;

New Orleans Pelicans:

• Zion Williamson, 2019 NBA Draft top pick;
  • Brandon Ingram, 2019-20 NBA Most Improved Player;
  • Lonzo Ball, 2017-18 NBA All-Rookie Second Team;

Fans will be able to follow along as these athletes are put to the test, gaining Marvel Hero Points for their achievements and performance during the game. The player with the most Marvel Hero Points on the winning team will be crowned as Marvel’s first Champion following the NBA Special Edition Presented by State Farm: Marvel’s Arena of Heroes.

Scoring system:

• One Marvel Hero Point will be awarded for every point, rebound, assist, steal and block;
  • One Marvel Hero Point will be deducted for every missed field goal, free throw or turnover;

ESPN commentators Ryan Ruocco and Richard Jefferson will provide commentary in a fully customized Marvel-themed studio at ESPN’s Bristol, Conn. campus. Additionally, the special presentation will include commentary and analysis from Marvel expert Angélique Roché.

promo_marvel_nbaarenaofheroes.jpg

arena_of_heroes_cover_final.png

Disney is like "Fuck Space Jam. Fuck Looney Tunes. Fuck Warner Bros. (We still love you Lebron)."

Last edited:
But seriously, this is pretty goofy. Clearly this game was chosen because both teams shouldn't be resting anyone because this is a key game for the 10th seed. Obviously Steph and Zion are huge draws.

Is Wiggins even a top 5 player in his draft class now? Top 8?

Jokic, Embiid, Randle, and LaVine seems like a clear Top 4. Then you've got good to very good guys like Capela, Bogdan, Jerami Grant, Nurkic, and Warren. It's a deep class overall.

This Lakers influencer/podcaster catfish story is wild.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2021-04-21/vivian-flores-lakers-catfish

Flores is a well-known, well-followed voice on Lakers Twitter. Her account, @Butterfly_424, had thousands of followers. Word of her disappearance gained so much traction that Lakers forward Markieff Morris reposted Toussaint’s plea, as did actor O’Shea Jackson Jr.

The search for Flores built momentum, but the story soon fell apart. Twitter user @ItsKingsBruh was in a Twitter Spaces conversation discussing how he had been catfished by the same account posing as Flores. The woman claiming to be Flores had told him she couldn’t Facetime because she was embarrassed by her scars. He eventually broke off the relationship. Kevin Durant, of all people, happened into the conversation and asked how someone could be so easily tricked.

Twitter users were also examining the pictures that Flores posted to social media, saying that they were clearly photoshopped.

The Spurs beat the Pelicans. Now the Pelicans are 4 games back of the 10 spot with 12 games left. The #6 seed and play-in is almost certainly going to be between the Mavs, Blazers, Griz, Warriors, and Spurs.

Luka destroyed the Lakers in the 4th quarter. If Cuban can ever surround him with healthy star talent, look out.

Last edited:
Hornets beat the brakes off the C’s today. That was fun.

Hornets beat the brakes off the C’s today. That was fun.

LaMelo possibly comes back this week, he is already back practicing with the team. I doubt his shooting will be what it was before the broken wrist, but just another live body at this point would be helpful. Hopefully then we get Hayward and Monk back for a play-in/playoff push if we can continue to slow the slide.

Miles Bridges is a beast on both ends of the floor. I don't know who else is in the running for Most Improved Player, but he has to be in the conversation.

Julius Randle has Most Improved Player locked up.

You are probably correct. Though I think Randle's increased production has more to do with him being in a situation that actually utilizes his skill set as opposed to him improving his skills as a player. He should definitely win the change of scenery award though.

you sure seem to want to add a lot of conditions to the MIP award to get Bridges a trophy

Bridges has fewer points than last year. He is much more efficient (51/41/85) than last year (42/33/81) in fewer starts and slightly fewer minutes than last year. He shoots less than last year and makes about the same.

I'd put Julius Randle, Jerami Grant, Christian Wood, and Michael Porter, Jr, over Bridges right off the top of my head. I'll add in Jakob Poeltl too. Poeltl is steady improving since taking over as a starter. He's averaging 10.9 pts, 8.3 reb, 2.3 blk in April. His FT went up from 44% last month to 77% this month. He's holding it down mostly playing with a bunch of wings.

After looking it up, I'd even put Mikal Bridges over Miles Bridges. He's got similar percentages to Miles at 53/40/82 and increased production while starting every game and playing a few more mpg.

Last edited:
you sure seem to want to add a lot of conditions to the MIP award to get Bridges a trophy

I don't care whether Miles wins it or not, he already has the unofficial crown of best in-game dunker in the NBA, which is all that really matters.

My bigger issue is with Randle winning it. Dude signed a 3 year / $62 million contract. Clearly, he had already demonstrated some sort of skill. I don't see how playing to the level already expected of him is improvement. If you are already making $20 mil/year, there is already an expected floor and you should be ineligible for the award. Similar with Jerami Grant (3/$60) and Christian Wood (3/$41) from Ph's list. And that is not a knock on those guys, it is a compliment - they were already good enough to be beyond consideration for the MIP award. If you are in the running for MIP, it should be clearly known that you previously sucked or just didn't play a lot. If you want to give it to Poetl or Porter or the fake M Bridges then I'm fine with any of those guys.

Contracts are awarded on what a team thinks a player will do during the years of the contract, not for what he already did.

So, if a player gets a nice contract extension because an NBA team thinks he will improve, that player can't win the "most improved player" award, when the player actually improves? That's backward. It's not the NBA's biggest surprise player (or really cool dunker on Leyritz's favorite team).

Not sure how anyone can say Julius Randle hasn't massively improved this year. He's is hitting career highs in points, rebounds, assists (by almost double), steals, 3 PT FG% and FT%. Also, for the first time in forever, the Knicks are actually a factor, and he's their best player by far; so, it's not like Randle's just padding stats.

Last edited:
Randle transformed his game and is not only a complete player but an All-NBA type player who could be the #2 or maybe even #1 player on a contender.

Back