• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

good one?

migraines can be completely debilitating

i know kawhi has missed games bc of migraines too

also on the miles bridges subject, i saw he's guarded the highest # of players in the NBA so far this season! not a super meaningful stat, but still interesting.

Randle transformed his game and is not only a complete player but an All-NBA type player who could be the #2 or maybe even #1 player on a contender.

I get that, but he was also the #7 pick in the draft who the Knicks gave a 3/$62 contract to 2 seasons ago. Other recent #7 picks are Steph Curry, Jamal Murray, and Harrison Barnes. So it's not crazy unexpected that he is playing at this level. Just because he somewhat sandbagged his first few years relative to reasonable expectations (which again I think was more due to his team situations) shouldn't be cause for awards.

To your earlier point, I don't think Brandon Ingram should have won it either given his pedigree. Siakim is more justifiable.

also on the miles bridges subject, i saw he's guarded the highest # of players in the NBA so far this season! not a super meaningful stat, but still interesting.

Yes he has guarded 1 - 5 in the same game at times. I know defense isn't taken into account for much in the NBA for individual awards, but that has been his biggest area of improvement in my opinion.

Migraines are legit. However, the Spurs are systematically resting players because they have such a tough schedule with no more than a day between games. I think everyone was available for the last game at New Orleans because that game basically took the Pelicans out of play-in contention. I'm guessing the Spurs be sitting one or two players a night with three road games vs. EC teams this week.

I get that, but he was also the #7 pick in the draft who the Knicks gave a 3/$62 contract to 2 seasons ago. Other recent #7 picks are Steph Curry, Jamal Murray, and Harrison Barnes. So it's not crazy unexpected that he is playing at this level. Just because he somewhat sandbagged his first few years relative to reasonable expectations (which again I think was more due to his team situations) shouldn't be cause for awards.

To your earlier point, I don't think Brandon Ingram should have won it either given his pedigree. Siakim is more justifiable.

If you consider breaking his ankle in his NBA debut "sandbagging," I would offer you've sandbagged your first 15 years of posting here.

Randle played 14 total minutes in his NBA rookie season suffering a freak ankle injury. Year 2 he averaged 11/10 as a 21 year old - so a double double. All while barely being able to jump over a phone book.

lol, 2&2 just makes up so much shit on the fly after staking out a stupid position

i think 2&2 started with an interesting point, it just doesn't apply to randle (who is such an obviously appropriate pick imo). but i don't like picking guys like jerami grant, christian wood, michael porter jr, etc. for MIP since i do think they are mostly products of increased usage

btw just noticed the thread title, great reference

Last edited:
Zach Lowe brings this issue up around the award each year -- I get it, to some extent, but increasing your usage also frequently coincides with playing more critical minutes and against better players

I also think sustaining good play over more minutes reflects an improvement -- I don't think it's the case that every guy would proportionately improve their counting stats with a higher MPG numbers

putting up good numbers on 15mpg with a second unit and then the same numbers on 30mpg as a starter mean to me you have probably improved

in the end, though, I think it's a silly award

Official 2020-21 NBA Season Thread - Tastefully Done, But Definitely All Injuries

i think 2&2 started with an interesting point, it just doesn't apply to randle (who is such an obviously appropriate pick imo). but i don't like picking guys like jerami grant, christian wood, michael porter jr, etc. for MIP since i do think they are mostly products of increased usage

btw just noticed the thread title, great reference

Not everyone puts up better numbers with increased usage. It means something if a guy can handle the load. I didn’t even know who Wood was until this year. It certainly wasn’t a given that Grant would go from a reluctant third or fourth option to a first option. And MPJ made a huge leap from promising rookie with an injury history to a durable future star. And his usage actually went down a bit as a starter instead of being a primary option on the second unit.

That ESPN the magazine ad may be one of my favorite things ever from the NBA.

Lonnie Walker IV is playing tonight headache and all.

Last edited:
Spurs-Wiz tied at 133 at the end of regulation. The only stop down the stretch was by the rim at the buzzer.

Bestbrook missed the driving layup too

notable because I think he took all shots in the final two minutes until the Wiz’s last one

CP3 with three straight daggers in clutch time vs Knicks. Cant recall seeing him do that before

Spurs win 146-143. Lots of midrange jumpers by Westbrook, Beal, DeRozan, and Murray.

How did the Hawks lose to the Pistons? Ouch. That was a good opportunity to gain a game on the Knicks.

The T-Wolves beat the Jazz two nights ago and they're beating them again right now.

Last edited:
That shit is so funny

Gobert is not dpoy material, he’s dopey as hell in the open floor sometimes

Not everyone puts up better numbers with increased usage. It means something if a guy can handle the load. I didn’t even know who Wood was until this year. It certainly wasn’t a given that Grant would go from a reluctant third or fourth option to a first option. And MPJ made a huge leap from promising rookie with an injury history to a durable future star. And his usage actually went down a bit as a starter instead of being a primary option on the second unit.

That ESPN the magazine ad may be one of my favorite things ever from the NBA.

Lonnie Walker IV is playing tonight headache and all.

yeah, i don't disagree with that. MPJ is probably not fair to throw into that group, but jerami grant went from an efficient starter on a good team to a low effiency scorer on a bad team.

Most Improved Player is as vague as Most Valuable Player. The NBA is a ridiculously deep league with a ton of talent. Even this rookie class looks good despite not having summer league, a real offseason, or a real G-League. Most of the lottery has already show some real promise. LaMelo, Edwards, and Haliburton look like future All-Stars.

Thunder beat the Celtics (minus Tatum and Kemba).

Back