• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

This is so fucking stupid Jesus Christ

What's stupid is to think that having a dominant post player and a PG who can't shoot is compatible.

If you knew ANYTHING about the game, you'd know that the player defending Simmons can play off him and jam up the lane for cutters and passing lanes to Embiid.

If you knew anything other than pseudo-stats, you'd realize having a player like Simmons also makes it more difficult for Embiid to have room to operate from the FT line through the lane, because his man can sag.

If Simmons could and would shoot, it could be a great pairing, but thus far, Simmons won't shoot more than eight feet from the basket. He's had PLENTY of time to expand his game and hasn't.

Simmons needs to play with an open offense that is filled with shooters. His bigs have to be stretch players, not post players.

I'll stop now, because, like Simmons, you have proven over and over you can't comprehend how basketball is played and refuse to learn.

Maybe you should go to a clinic or ten to learn how offenses and teams work. You've proven you don't understand.

(Fixed know into now- :cool: )

You want to be snarky. Here's what you get.

Last edited:
The reality is if some computer doesn't tell you something about the game, you dismiss it.

If you understood ANYTHING, you'd get that allowing a player to clog up the lane hurts your offense. If you have a dominant post player, that problem is made much worse.

The fact is, you don't have a clue about what makes a good basketball team and are too arrogant to listen to those who do.

We shouldn't be surprised. This is your MO on basically everything.

Doesn't mean they're better. The 8th best team in the east is 12-17 this season.

Think they’re significantly better defensively and a little worse offensively. They suck when they can’t hit shots.

As I see it there’s one team in the NBA better constructed to win a title this year and that’s the Clips. Anything can happen with injuries and trades an playoff ball and a long season but we’ll see where this stands come end of season. For someone who has no idea what makes a good basketball team I’ve done pretty well betting this season.

Saying Ben would be better if he shot takes literally 0 understanding of the game. It’s fucking obvious, and the team would be better too, clearly. Of course. And if my uncle had tits.

Think they’re significantly better defensively and a little worse offensively. They suck when they can’t hit shots.

Was JJ Redick really that bad on defense? I mean the eye test would say yes, but he also was rarely out of position, didn't make stupid fouls, and I think his advanced defensive numbers were fairly neutral (at least when he was on the Clips). I could also be making that last part up, I ask since you seem to have those stats at your fingertips.

As I see it there’s one team in the NBA better constructed to win a title this year and that’s the Clips. Anything can happen with injuries and trades an playoff ball and a long season but we’ll see where this stands come end of season. For someone who has no idea what makes a good basketball team I’ve done pretty well betting this season.

Saying Ben would be better if he shot takes literally 0 understanding of the game. It’s fucking obvious, and the team would be better too, clearly. Of course. And if my uncle had tits.

So... there's a lot... unhinged in this lost.

You can't really know this little about the game and talk this much. Can you?

Let me dumb it down for you. Sadly, your arrogance will get in the way of your ability to look at reality and admit how wrong you are.

If my guy doesn't shoot, I can hang in the lane and help on everyone else until he drives. This allows me to keep you from getting by me as easily. I can make myself wider (if you like I'll explain this to you later) to cut off your direction and your passing lanes.

If you don't shoot, I can help on all the other players on your team making it harder for them to get easy shots.

If I'm just hanging in the lane, because you won't shoot. I get to more loose balls, more rebounds.

Your refusal to shoot makes everyone on my team better on defense because of this. My ability to help makes them able to take something away from the guy each is covering.

If you do shoot, I have to honor that shot and open up the floor more. The threat is useful. Also, by you taking that shot and me covering you, it's easier for you to get past me when you drive.

I'll stop here, because this is a lot for you take in with your closed, uninformed mind.

I don’t see anyone calling Tatum out for being a barely above league average guy this far into his NBA career, putting up decent counting stats but essentially replacement level overall with horrible efficiency stats. Because...he can sorta shoot? Maybe the sixers lose in the second round of the playoffs again this year. Not shocking. rj will still barely be smart enough to draw breath, Ayo will still fail to find joy in this life, and the world will keep spinning. The collars are normal find a new slant.

The concept of positions doesn’t matter that much any more in the NBA, so 2&2’s take is pretty cold, but in case you don’t watch much Sixers, Simmons is the best ball handler in the starting five, so it makes sense he is the primary ball handler on the break and in the full court. But you’ll notice that against most teams that aren’t zoning or Boston, he’s very good at breaking down a defense off dribble, so he does have primary originator role in the halfcourt a lot of the time too. But against teams that are trying to clog the lane, Tobias does a lot of primary ball handling. An issue losing Jimmy is the lack of a true pick and roll scorer, Josh isn’t really a perfect replacement for that. And JJ and Jo had the dribble hand off that was the most efficient offensive set in the league last year, and there isn’t a like for like with that either. The one offensive set where the Sixers truly need Ben to shoot is when he’s in the corner and the ball gets to him in rhythm and he’s got the open three. That is a shot teams work really hard to get because it’s such a high percentage play, and in the modern NBA you’ve got to be able to hit that shot at least 30% of the time no matter who you are. Ben doesn’t need to develop a perfect catch and shoot, he just needs to be willing to take that corner three and not shy away at end of games from receiving the ball for fear of getting fouled. Those are really the two things, in a long game where he’s pretty damn elite at every other aspect, that he must improve on. All the rest is bullshit. Giannis has gotten less efficient listening to the “he’s gotta get a shot” crowd. Hope the team doesn’t force it.

No, the concept of positions doesn't (didn't) matter much to the Warriors, that's it. It matters to everyone else in the NBA if they want to win. It sure as hell mattered to the Raptors, it mattered to the Cavs, it mattered to the Spurs, and it mattered to the Heat. And it will likely matter to the champion this year. So unless you have Steph and Klay and Draymond and KD, positions matter. And here is a shocking surprise - nobody is ever confusing this Sixers team with the Warriors. If the Sixers are trying to model themselves after the Warriors, they need to just phone it in with the Process right now. So they need to worry about positions.

I don’t see anyone calling Tatum out for being a barely above league average guy this far into his NBA career, putting up decent counting stats but essentially replacement level overall with horrible efficiency stats. Because...he can sorta shoot? Maybe the sixers lose in the second round of the playoffs again this year. Not shocking. rj will still barely be smart enough to draw breath, Ayo will still fail to find joy in this life, and the world will keep spinning. The collars are normal find a new slant.

Can't refute any of my points. So, you make it personal.

How very Trumpian of you!

Was JJ Redick really that bad on defense? I mean the eye test would say yes, but he also was rarely out of position, didn't make stupid fouls, and I think his advanced defensive numbers were fairly neutral (at least when he was on the Clips). I could also be making that last part up, I ask since you seem to have those stats at your fingertips.

DBPM has been negative his whole career. Last year it was -3.3, tied for worst in his career, bringing his BPM to -0.7. Beyond the stats, the eye test showed teams would regularly just screen him into oblivion and he'd lose a shooter. He was active with his feet but just couldn't keep his guy in front. Guards slashing killed the Sixers last year, and this year with Josh that's greatly improved.

Horford this year is 1.1 OBPM and 2.3 DBPM for overall 3.4 BPM.

They aren't like for like obviously, but roughly Josh and Al took Jimmy and JJ's places. Josh has struggled with injuries this season; he's gotten off to a fairly slow start. I think the Sixers should really think about getting Trey Burke more minutes. Look at the roster for a guy that can shoot your way out of a slump (like every team in the league has for 5 minutes a game), there isn't really one on the team that is a three level scorer that can create for himself. Trey Burke is probably the closest thing to it, and he's a good ball handler too.

Sixers aren't ever going to be a top 5 halfcourt offense the way this roster is constructed. Anybody could look at a team starting four guys at 6'10" or taller and tell you that you might have some floor spacing issues. The way the team will be elite offensively is continuing to score on the break and be the best offensive rebounding team in the league. Disrupting passing lanes and getting out quickly into transition and getting easy buckets is absolutely key to the Sixers winning games. There's a weird thing happening where they're #1 or #2 in the league in +/- in the first quarter, and then they drop to like 18th in the second quarter. Some of that is rotations, but some of that is also just...they start to sleepwalk? Can't do that! I don't expect them to be like the Bucks and go balls to the wall every minute of every regular season game and then die in the playoffs (Harden does this too seemingly?), but I feel like what's lost on some of these guys is that if you blow out a team early you can rest in the 4th quarter. Don't try to take plays off early in the game!

Once again, Townie bloviates without any sense. It's not about four 6'10+ guys. It's about their skill sets.

rj how many times do i have to say it would help if simmons had a jumpshot before you go jump up your own ass one last time and fucking shut up already

Back